Chris OLeary

Rebuilding for Year Two Under DL: What About a New Defensive Coordinator?

Will Lanning hire a new Defensive Coordinator who can really put together an excellent defense? Tosh Lupoi could be given a title of Co-Defensive Coordinator and Director of Recruiting, effectively being demoted, but retaining his title. Clearly something needs to change on our defense. 

What are your thoughts on our defense?

• Great post! 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, Chris OLeary said:

Tosh Lupoi could be given a title of Co-Defensive Coordinator

Lupoi already as the co-defensive coordinator title. The other DC is Matt Prowledge 

Prowlage has a decent background as a position coach in the secondary but the secondary has been suspect this year. 

Well... The run defense was doing a decent job until it just decided to stop working.

Lots of questions right now. 

I think depth was certainly a problem this year and I think Lanning is working to address that issue with how he is recruiting... Lots of defensive lineman in this class and only a few linebackers which is what his defense needs. 

We already snatched Junior Adams from Seattle. May as well go see what Jimmy Lake is up to. He can recruit and coach defense and would probably like to stick it to uw in the coming years. The good part is he wouldn’t have to stick to recruiting smart kids.

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, Chris OLeary said:

Will Lanning hire a new Defensive Coordinator who can really put together an excellent defense? Tosh Lupoi could be given a title of Co-Defensive Coordinator and Director of Recruiting, effectively being demoted, but retaining his title. Clearly something needs to change on our defense. 

What are your thoughts on our defense?

What defense?  None seems to exist!

• Applause 1

What about a new D.C.?  It'd be my preference if Tosh were let go and someone else were brought in to replace him - on several levels.  However, with the departure of the O.C. it might not be the best time to be making a change at both positions simultaneously.  Besides, Tosh is a pretty good recruiter.

Edited by Mic

The defense needs to be looked at, but I really don't like to make changes just for change's sake.  I truly don't believe 1 season is enough to know what the defense is going to look like, especially when they don't have their guys.  Yes, the players on paper appear to be talented.  However, if you are asking guys to do things, they aren't good at doing, they aren't going to excel no matter how much coaching they get.

Keep Tosh, but he definitely hasn't started on the right foot.  If there isn't noticeable improvement after next season, then yeah maybe start looking for a new DC.  Personally, I think OC and DC really need to have 3 or 4 years to get a fair shake of installing their system.  Yes, the offense looked great for the most part this year, but was it a one-year fluke?

After the OSU debacle, the coach who ought to be on the "hot seat" is the special teams coach. 

Also, as I believe Fishduck may have said, it is not clear that the decision to rely so heavily on the Cover 2/prevent defense was made by Lupoi. 

On 11/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, Tandaian said:

The defense needs to be looked at, but I really don't like to make changes just for change's sake.  I truly don't believe 1 season is enough to know what the defense is going to look like, especially when they don't have their guys.  Yes, the players on paper appear to be talented.  However, if you are asking guys to do things, they aren't good at doing, they aren't going to excel no matter how much coaching they get.

With all due respect, isn’t it the coach’s job to evaluate the talent they have (strengths and weaknesses) and devise a plan to win with what you have? 

The most troubling thing for me is that the defense didn’t improve throughout the season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:14 AM, OregonDucks said:

With all due respect, isn’t it the coach’s job to evaluate the talent they have (strengths and weaknesses) and devise a plan to win with what you have? 

The most troubling thing for me is that the defense didn’t improve throughout the season. 

This is why I think next year is going to be bad for the Ducks. Dillingham was the only bright spot on the coaching staff.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:19 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

This is why I think next year is going to be bad for the Ducks. Dillingham was the only bright spot on the coaching staff.

Let me re word this, KDs offense was the only bright spot for the Ducks except for CG who is an excellent portal pickup.