FishDuck Article

Dazed’s New OC Candidate List for the Oregon Ducks

Now that Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham has moved on to become the head coach at Arizona State, the question of finding his replacement exists. I’m keen for going the veteran route with this hire. Someone who has been a head coach, with lots of time as an Offensive Coordinator, and who can be a voice of wisdom for Dan Lanning. ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Now that Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham has moved on to become the head coach at Arizona State, the question of finding his replacement...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

DnC you offer some good choices in the article. Thanks......

Really support the idea of bringing in an experienced HC to support DL as his journey continues. Not sure how DL feels about that idea.

Do you feel Mullens will be making the final choice? Or will this be Coach Lanning's call to make?

You are correct that the Oregon OC position is prestigious. The Ducks should be able to ink a high quality OC from your pool of choices. Excited to see and hear the oitcome.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Dirk Koetter get would be my #1.  I remember the time Koetter was at Oregon.  Great passing game, and with his NFL experience  he would know the importance of a balanced attack. 

#2 would be your teaser Brian Hartline.  His background coaching those receivers at Ohio State and his own NFL playing experience gives him great cred as a coach.

Thanks, Dazed, for gathering these potential candidates and bringing it to the OBD Forum!

I think it might be best to just promote from within and go grab a top notch QB coach. UO already has the offense they want. No need to reinvent that wheel. Just stabilize the offense and put the focus on reviving the D.

• Thumbs Up 1

With all due respect, thumbs down on the retreads.  I just don't see Dirk Koetter being able to recruit at the high level we need.  No way Mullen takes an OC job IMHO, he's got a pretty good broadcasting gig.  Tom Herman maybe, but DL's personality tells me he's going to stick with the youth movement.  Garret Riley would be a slam-dunk IMHO, not sure we could get him out of Texas though.

Regardless, DL needs someone who can completely take over the offense so he can devote his time to fixing our woeful defense.  I don't know how he deals with Lupoi (I doubt he gets fired after one year), but it feels like he's already at a crossroads coming into year two.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Good article. Thanks. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:39 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Do you feel Mullens will be making the final choice? Or will this be Coach Lanning's call to make?

I feel part of the deal with Lanning being given the keys to the car by Mullens and Phil, is he has to answer to them after this season ended how it did. 

With the rumors of big donors rumbling and given Lanning's riverboat gambler style - I think Mullens and Phil will have an opinion on the direction of the new OC hire.

I think those who hold sway behind the closed doors are going to want Lanning to have an adult in the room. Someone who can tell him that going for it here on 4th down is to risky and a do or die move, or we need to kick the FG here. Someone who can say in his headset "you're doing it again" and Lanning will give second thought. 

The case can be made Lanning in game mismanaged an 11-1 team to a 9-3 record: missing the playoff, costing millions, hurting the brand and possibly recruiting. I can see Mullens and Phil clipping his wings a bit here.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the article, Dazed.  You bring up interesting candidates.  Count me as another Garret Riley fan.

And allow me to throw another hat in the ring.  Jeff Lebby from UCF, their OC/QB coach.  He has done wondrous things at all his coaching stops.  He currently has UCF as a top 10 team in total offense.  His teams there have averaged over 43 ppg for a couple of years in a row...netting top 5 NCAA scoring finishes.  Earlier in his career, he coached RBs for five years.  And for those five years, he had a 1,000 yard rusher in each of them.  He was running backs Coach of the Year at Baylor.  This dude can coach!  I don't know a lot about his recruiting chops, but his coaching record speaks loudly. 

• Applause 1

On 11/28/2022 at 6:50 AM, noDucknewby said:

With all due respect, thumbs down on the retreads. 

56-year old 'retread" Todd Monken spent 4-years in the NFL as the OC of Bucs and Browns before he was hired at Georgia and they won the Natty in his second year with a walk-on QB. 

Retread isn't a very nice label  to place on older coaches

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Mic drop 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/28/2022 at 7:58 AM, DazeNconfused said:

...I can see Mullens and Phil clipping his wings a bit here.

Just a gut feeling on my part, but I don't see that happening. I think they trust DL to find a new OC, who I am guessing will be younger, not older.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:01 AM, Mudslide said:

Thanks for the article, Dazed.  You bring up interesting candidates.  Count me as another Garret Riley fan.

And allow me to throw another hat in the ring.  Jeff Lebby from UCF, their OC/QB coach.  He has done wondrous things at all his coaching stops.  He currently has UCF as a top 10 team in total offense.  His teams there have averaged over 43 ppg for a couple of years in a row...netting top 5 NCAA scoring finishes.  Earlier in his career, he coached RBs for five years.  And for those five years, he had a 1,000 yard rusher in each of them.  He was running backs Coach of the Year at Baylor.  This dude can coach!  I don't know a lot about his recruiting chops, but his coaching record speaks loudly. 

There are lots of established young OCs who I'm sure will be on others lists. I'm in the veteran OC who has been a HC camp. 

I threw the young names in the last part of the article for those who are leaning that route. 

Lebby is good, but he just left Kiffin at Ole Miss to move to the Sooners - he will be a hard pull to get out west. 

I'm sure we will see some articles in the next couple days with lots of young names, and good talent on them. 

I'm just in the camp that thinks we don't need another young coach on the staff. We already have plenty of youth - we are weak on veterans.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:05 AM, DazeNconfused said:

56-year old 'retread" Todd Monken spent 4-years in the NFL as the OC of Bucs and Browns before he was hired at Georgia and they won the Natty in his second year with a walk-on QB. 

Retread isn't a very nice label

Not dissing on your article, just disagree with the "seasoned" coaches you suggested.  I guess I'm still a little bitter about the late-season developments, not feeling like soft-pedaling my opinion.  Your list is obviously well thought out, no disrespect intended towards you.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:09 AM, Annie said:

Just a gut feeling on my part, but I don't see that happening. I think they trust DL to find a new OC, who I am guessing will be younger, not older.

You could be right. I still think these last two losses by a combined 7 points with the in game decisions Lanning made are going to be something he hears about from Mullens and Phil.

You can't be a first time head coach at a program like Oregon and not have a tough year end meeting with the Bosses after what Lanning did. Lanning was reckless

Maybe Lanning has all the right answers and gets turned loose 100% to get his own OC - or maybe the bosses demand they sign off on the hire?

• Thumbs Up 1

Out of the guy’s on this list, I’d go with Brennan Marion. Did really nice things as the OC at Howard and William & Mary.

The GoGo is also only a portion of what he does offensively. His offense is a version of the Malzahn/Norvell offense and uses the same verbiage.

I also believe that the choice will be Coach Lanning’s alone. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/28/2022 at 8:27 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Out of the guy’s on this list, I’d go with Brennan Marion. Did really nice things as the OC at Howard and William & Mary.

The GoGo is also only a portion of what he does offensively. His offense is a version of the Malzahn/Norvell offense and uses the same verbiage.

I also believe that the choice will be Coach Lanning’s alone. 

I'm a "retread"...more like a worn tread, but I'd rather see someone who is up to date on successful recruiting methods and also is innovative on offense. 

NFL experience doesn't impress me. Football at the two levels is different for many reasons. I'm not saying I wouldn't want a former NFL coach, but that alone doesn't impress me.

Marion is an intriguing story, though.

Did Canzano really talk to more than one donor or is he just stirring the pot for clicks? His articles contain a high percentage of drama vs football analysis as seen in OBD articles.

Screw the donors. Look at Miami, Michigan State, and Texas A & M and DON'T be like them.

I agree with coach Boles. I think Lanning needs to be the guy that makes the hire.

Top 3 priorities:

- Hire the best OC asap

- Get the QB situation fixed by the Spring game

- Fix the defense before the 2023 opener.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I certainly wouldn't mind Helfrich coming back if it were an option.  He did take Chip's offense and put it into overdrive until the wheels finally fell off.

Also, Marcus Arroyo just became available 😛

• Haha 1

This decision needs to be Lannings alone. He is the HC and knows better than anyone what he needs to accomplish his vision.

Lanning was hired to lead the football team. Mullens and Knight would be wise not to meddle. Clip Lanning and it won't end well. He will bounce first opportunity. 

I do like Brian Brohm. He has done an excellent job at Perdue. Prying him away from his brother would be a challenge. But hey, worth a try.

• Thumbs Up 1

Willie Taggart is available... sorry, I couldn't resist! Ha!

On 11/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, Log Haulin said:

Lanning was hired to lead the football team. Mullens and Knight would be wise not to meddle. Clip Lanning and it won't end well. He will bounce first opportunity. 

Lanning's reckless decisions just caused him to drive the Bentley he was gifted the keys to into the ditch.

He had the 7th best roster talent, world class facilities a QB who was at the top of the Heisman watch list and the national narrative is that Lanning coached them out of the playoffs. Lanning's stock is DOWN, he isn't on any major schools short lists now. 

You can call it meddle, I call it being accountable to your bosses. Someone else with a first year coach might call it mentorship.

IMO Lanning has lots of reasons to be humble. 

On 11/28/2022 at 4:46 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Lanning's reckless decisions just caused him to drive the Bentley he was gifted the keys to into the ditch.

He had the 7th best roster talent, world class facilities a QB who was at the top of the Heisman watch list and the national narrative is that Lanning coached them out of the playoffs. Lanning's stock is DOWN, he isn't on any major schools short lists now. 

You can call it meddle, I call it being accountable to your bosses. Someone else with a first year coach might call it mentorship.

IMO Lanning has lots of reasons to be humble. 

Lanning was hired as a first year head coach. Not a seasoned, make no mistakes, take me to the promise land, win me a Natty first year head coach. Season came down to a few bad plays.

9-3!!! Two of the loses by combined 7 points. Maybe it's more about who those loses were to, not that he took the two loses. Very easily could have been 11-1.

What if the loses were to UCLA and Utah instead? Everything else being the same. 

Lanning had a great first year. Better than most. Including Saban and Smart. Had such a great first year his OC got poached immediately. 

If my boss crawls up my backside? I find a new boss. I celebrate what Lanning has done his first year. Great job coach. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

Lanning was hired as a first year head coach. Not a seasoned, make no mistakes, take me to the promise land, win me a Natty first year head coach. Season came down to a few bad plays.

9-3!!! Two of the loses by combined 7 points. Maybe it's more about who those loses were to, not that he took the two loses. Very easily could have been 11-1.

What if the loses were to UCLA and Utah instead? Everything else being the same. 

Lanning had a great first year. Better than most. Including Saban and Smart. Had such a great first year his OC got poached immediately. 

If my boss crawls up my backside? I find a new boss. I celebrate what Lanning has done his first year. Great job coach. 

We can agree to disagree. Lanning improved the team compared to the Utah blow outs. 

No. It doesn't matter who we lost to down the stretch.

What matters is he made bonehead decisions he made that cost us the games and how his team melted down in the OSU game. 

There is a saying your only as good as your last game and Lanning wasn't good Saturday. Lanning made us the national college football joke Saturday. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:04 PM, cartm25 said:

I agree 100%. I'm actually surprised to see statements like, "Mullen's needs to find the right OC."

Does that actually happen? In my 20+ years of following college football, I've never heard of an AD selecting OC/DC/Assistants.

Prior to this year, I had never heard of Kenny Dillingham. I consider his hiring a wild success, so I'll trust Lanning to make the decision as well.

I haven't see anyone in this thread say "Mullens needs to find the right OC"... 

It's not uncommon with a young coach or a coach on the hot seat for the AD to tell the HC you need to make some changes. The AD is the steward of the Program.

Mullens telling Lanning he wants a veteran coach for the OC hire is not unheard of. He would let Lanning do the search and give final sign off. 

Lots of ADs have final sign off. I doubt Mullens is letting Lanning hire Art Briles and all his baggage. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the ASU AD told Dilly he wants a DC hire who has been a former HC to help mentor Dilly. Dilly would do the search and find the right fit. 

My whole article is my take Lanning needs a older and wiser OC to be the adult in the room. It could be Mullens lets him go get who ever he wants? I will say the odds of getting young OCs and not having trouble are greater than with older proven OCs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Kinda like running it between the tackles time after time. Auburn sent Ducks a gift basket and thank you card as a show of appreciation. 

This was Lannings first time steering the ship. I can recall articles here on OBDF, before season started, about curtailing expectations. How that changes when rubber meets the road.

Oregon is not a bently. At best a Cadillac that needs tuned. Still very nice but not there yet. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:22 PM, Log Haulin said:

Kinda like running it between the tackles time after time. Auburn sent Ducks a gift basket and thank you card as a show of appreciation. 

This was Lannings first time steering the ship. I can recall articles here on OBDF, before season started, about curtailing expectations. How that changes when rubber meets the road.

Oregon is not a bently. At best a Cadillac that needs tuned. Still very nice but not there yet. 

Lemme put it this way. If Lanning dont make those crazy decisions that lost us those two game he is 11-1. First year HC on the verge of the playoffs.

He is on everyone's short list. His agent is working us for an extension. Lanning is being talked about as the guy to replace saban at Bamma.

Lanning cost himself millions of dollars with bad decisions! My guess is $30 million because he could have doubled his contract!

He cost Oregon millions in branding, bowl payout, ect.. 

You can chose to see the bright side. I'm going to admit he wasn't terrible - but he shot himself in the foot in the worst of reckless ways. 

He is probably the first HC to go for it at his own 34 and 29 when he didn't have to and lose twice in the same year by a combined 7 points. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:31 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Lemme put it this way. If Lanning dont make those crazy decisions that lost us those two game he is 11-1. First year HC on the verge of the playoffs.

He is on everyone's short list. His agent is working us for an extension. Lanning is being talked about as the guy to replace saban at Bamma.

Lanning cost himself millions of dollars with bad decisions! My guess is $30 million because he could have doubled his contract!

You can chose to see the bright side. I'm going to admit he wasn't terrible - but he shot himself in the foot in the worst of reckless ways. 

He is probably the first HC to go for it at his own 34 and 29 when he didn't have to and lose twice in the same year by a combined 7 points. 

Oregon didn't lose because of 2 plays. But cool, I was just giving my thoughts on the OC hire. Nothing more.

Lanning will be better in year 2 and again in year 3. None of us make the right call all the time. Nix was the right call and Lanning getting to hire his own guys is the right call.

Phil Knight has no business getting involved. Betcha Phil agrees.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:18 AM, DazeNconfused said:

You could be right. I still think these last two losses by a combined 7 points with the in game decisions Lanning made are going to be something he hears about from Mullens and Phil.

At the beginning of this season pretty much everyone agreed that, with Lanning being a first year HC, there were going to be bumps and learning experiences along the way. People were expecting 3 or 4 losses. 

Now, at the end of the regular season, with 10 wins a real possibility (especially with the lower bowl bid), we see that we did indeed lose 3 games... with two of them being by a combined total of 7 points. If those two losses would have been to BYU and WSU by the same combined total of 7 points, this conversation would be very different.

DL has made some of the very kind of mistakes that he was expected to make at the beginning of the year. Quite different that the previous administration, DL has shown that he can learn from his mistakes. That gives much reason for optimism. 

I trust DL to pull another good name out of his notebook to fill the OC role.

• Applause 3

On 11/28/2022 at 5:42 PM, Log Haulin said:

Phil Knight has no business getting involved. Betcha Phil agrees.

Your aware that Phil was consulted by Mullens in the coaching search and signed off on the Lanning hire?

Phil is basically Mullens boss.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we even end up poaching an assistant at another PAC-12 school to be the Ducks news OC, just like how Tim DeRuyter was poached from Cal to be the Ducks new DC after Andy Avalos departed for Boise State.

As to who that would be if that happens is anybody's guess.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:19 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Your aware that Phil was consulted by Mullens in the coaching search and signed off on the Lanning hire?

Phil is basically Mullens boss.

Lanning is HC. I am sure he was. Was he consulted about assistant coaching hires? Maybe, if so... Oregon will not reach the top IMO.

Wouldn't be any different than Mario's micro management. A topic of discussion many time on OBDF.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:04 PM, Jon Sousa said:

DL has made some of the very kind of mistakes that he was expected to make at the beginning of the year. Quite different that the previous administration, DL has shown that he can learn from his mistakes. 

He did the same darn thing two weeks later after the UW game and went for it on 4th down on his own 29 yard line. How's that learning? lol

I'm going to go out on a limb and say not many Duck fans expected the rookie coaches mistakes to be epic blunders. You can ever recall and FBS head coach going for it on his 34 and 29 yard line when he could have punted, and lost both games. Twice in the same year. 

Lanning set a epic fail benchmark we might never see broken and I for one do not trust his judgement. Add in the meltdown in the end vrs OSU and he the shine is off Dan.

Lets say we let him choose his own OC, fine. Then we should hire a in-game management advisor to stand next to him all game and tell him the right move to make. I've lost faith.

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 11/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, Log Haulin said:

Lanning is HC. I am sure he was. Was he consulted about assistant coaching hires? Maybe, if so... Oregon will not reach the top IMO.

Wouldn't be any different than Mario's micro management. A topic of discussion many time on OBDF.

I guess your in the camp of letting Lanning do Lanning, the AD has have no need to do a post season Eval and tell him to pump the breaks. 

My thoughts on it are different than yours. Thats all. Not a big deal. I like Lanning and think he is going to grow into one of the best head coaches in college football. I could be wrong.

You put your thoughts out there by writing this article. OBDF is not an echo chamber. I have a different opinion and stated it. Seemed pretty benign when I wrote it. 

On 11/28/2022 at 4:24 PM, DUCati855 said:

His Gulf Coast Offense was scoring nearly 50 points a game when Herbert was upright....

FISHDUCK.COM

These are not two of your favorite people to contemplate right now, but I would ask for your indulgence and fantasizing along with me. I understand how people...

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/28/2022 at 5:31 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Yes, some of his decisions were risky.  Probably they cost us the OSU game.  Flip side, what if he doesn't onside kick against UCLA?  Do we win?

On 11/28/2022 at 6:41 PM, Log Haulin said:

My thoughts on it are different than yours. Thats all. Not a big deal. I like Lanning and think he is going to grow into one of the best head coaches in college football. I could be wrong.

You put your thoughts out there by writing this article. OBDF is not an echo chamber. I have a different opinion and stated it. Seemed pretty benign when I wrote it. 

Its all good. We often agree and don't on this. I don't take it personal. Thanks for reading my article and my take. I just gave you love on another thread, you had a great psot. Really, really nailed you a good take!

On 11/28/2022 at 6:49 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Its all good. We often agree and don't on this. I don't take it personal. Thanks for reading my article and my take. I just gave you love on another thread, you had a great psot. Really, really nailed you a good take!

I will be reading your next one. I have learned some things from a lot of your articles. Don't see that stopping. 

I believe Coach Lanning will be open for input from a variety of sources and it will be his call to make. No matter what, I trust his decision will be to make the Ducks better!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 4:24 PM, DUCati855 said:

I'd suggest you "Do Something" with that idea, but the board rules would likely clip my wings, and I sorta like it here! 🤪

• Haha 2

On 11/28/2022 at 6:47 PM, McDuck said:

Yes, some of his decisions were risky.  Probably they cost us the OSU game.  Flip side, what if he doesn't onside kick against UCLA?  Do we win?

Yes we win without the onside. We didn't punt until halfway through the 4th quarter. We had a 38-16 lead halfway though the 3rd with the onside. But we held them to 3 FGs, picked DTR off once. We scored 6 TD and 1 FG before that first punt. 

The onside wasn't needed.

I like that Lanning pointed out last year that he keeps a list of quality coaches he knows and has worked with. I was impressed with how quickly he put together a very high quality staff of assistants. Whomever he chooses, he will put a high premium on a candidate’s ability to recruit and develop talent. I trust him to find an OC who will perfectly fit into and augment what he is creating at Oregon.

Edited by latracey
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, DazeNconfused said:

We can agree to disagree. Lanning improved the team compared to the Utah blow outs. 

No. It doesn't matter who we lost to down the stretch.

What matters is he made bonehead decisions he made that cost us the games and how his team melted down in the OSU game. 

There is a saying your only as good as your last game and Lanning wasn't good Saturday. Lanning made us the national college football joke Saturday. 

I usually enjoy your threads, as upset as I was at what I saw was happening, thank the QB upstairs my TV room is in the basement.  But when it came down to it, this is WHY I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!  Oregon was the Beavers at one time, Playing at Michigan and CLEANING their clock in their house, Dennis Dixon had such a great game.  I am so proud of how our team played TWO Int, ONE forced fumble recovery.  You could not ask more or your squad.  The ball bounces your way sometimes and others it slips your grasp.  Dan Lanning will learn, he will figure it out, bring in the right people, he lost a great one to ASU but his tree will grow, he planted it right here at OREGON.  Keep giving us your best stuff DNC you make us all better too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Lanning's gambles fall into two different categories.

First is the river boat gambler. He's a fierce competitor looking for any opportunity to seize the advantage. This shows up well in his middle eight dominance but doesn't look so good with so many 4th down failures. Like any gambler that seeks long term success, you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. He's in the learning process at this point. I predict he'll be better in the future.

The next category I'd call crises management. When all hell is breaking loose, desperate times call for desperate measures. Against UW he was watching his D get destroyed the entire second half and knew giving back the ball was going to end badly. I think he thought a 50/50 shot at converting that 4th down was better than the 0% chance of stopping UW so he rolled the dice. Against OSU, pretty much the same scene unfolded except this time his punter dropped the ball on the one yard line after having a punt blocked. No trust in the punter, no trust in the D equals another desperate gamble.

I'd way rather be a UO fan watching our young head coach figure things out while nearly making the playoffs than be a Miami fan wondering what the heck did we just get ourselves into.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 11/28/2022 at 7:09 PM, EzDucksIt said:

I usually enjoy your threads, as upset as I was at what I saw was happening, thank the QB upstairs my TV room is in the basement.  But when it came down to it, this is WHY I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!  Oregon was the Beavers at one time, Playing at Michigan and CLEANING their clock in their house, Dennis Dixon had such a great game.  I am so proud of how our team played TWO Int, ONE forced fumble recovery.  You could not ask more or your squad.  The ball bounces your way sometimes and others it slips your grasp.  Dan Lanning will learn, he will figure it out, bring in the right people, he lost a great one to ASU but his tree will grow, he planted it right here at OREGON.  Keep giving us your best stuff DNC you make us all better too.

Thanks for your thoughts my duck friend.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:57 PM, cartm25 said:

Only thing Mullens should have final say about is whether or not it makes sense financially.

DL should have 100% control of who the OC candidates are, not the accountant.

That's not how it works man. Mullens is part of the Admin.

His job is be the steward of the program and protect the Oregon Brand. To call him the "accountant" isn't fair.

Mullens isn't going to let Lanning hire Art Briles as OC and bring his baggage to Oregon and tarnish the Brand. He probably wouldn't even hire his son Kendal Briles as the OC because he was at Baylor under his dad and the stink is on him as well. 

The USC Prez Carol Folt put the brakes on the Urban Meyer hire because of his baggage.

Admin runs these schools and the football coach isn't a God. 

Mullens hired Lanning and he can fire him tomorrow if he wants. That's how much weight Mullens swings as the AD.

Mullens and his staff have vetted every hire Lanning has made and will vet the next OC on any level they please

Edited by DazeNconfused

DazeNconfused your writing is always informative, thought provoking and gives us much to ponder. Thank you and all those that comment.

My personal thoughts since i read your article at 5 am and have digested almost 50 diverse comments moves me in a different direction...

When you take the full snap shot of the season, DL has made hundreds of in game decisions in 12 games. The majority enabled the team to rise from the ashes of total annihilation in Georgia  Then run off 8 wins in a row. Thats leadership and coaching. The offense averaged 40 plus points in those games.

The Ducks were on their way to scoring over 40 points (and winning the game) when Bo got injured.  It was at the end of a 10 minute, 4th quarter drive that was a result of good coaching and execution. IMHO we lost that game because our coaching staff had not prepared a backup QB to read a basic goal line defense and execute a successful 1 yard gain. Not because of a in game decision that back fired. Score 40 plus and we beat the dogs. The Ducks had converted numerous 3rd and 4th down and short yardage situations all season. No reason to not go for it.......

(Fixing the lack of a prepared back up is a much greater priority)

The loss to the leg lifters was crushing. Imagine how the coaches and players felt. Once again, DL lifted the team from the ashes and they beat Utah and the best coach in the PAC. With a stationary QB, DL coached his team to the win.

Then for 3 quarters they handled the rodents. But for some reason the Duck D disappeared in the 4th quarter. It was the worst linebacker play in a quarter ever. Again IMHO, the Ducks lost to the rodents because of a complete defensive meltdown not because of a judgement gamble by DL (Fixing everything about a broken defense is again more of a priority than an in game coaching decision).

Hopefully DL can bring in a solid OC and a QB coach who can enhance QB player development. 40 plus points is a necessity with a weak D.

As for the D.....My youngest son was watching the game with me. He played cornerback for 3 years at the FBS level. He repeatedly called the Beaver play beforehand and pointed out what Duck linebacker was out of position. The intensity, passion and edge left the D at the beginning of the 4th quarter allowing momentum to shift.

He noticed that the Duck O  play calling went vanilla. Pethaps Dilly checked out for ASU. The O becane predictable and went thru the motions. Beavs seized the moment.

These are the things DL must fix. In game decisions may be the least of his problems. DL is a solid HC already. I will take some bonehead decisions if he fixes the real reasons we arent 11-1.

• Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:36 PM, DazeNconfused said:

That's not how it works man. Mullens is part of the Admin.

His job is be the steward of the program and protect the Oregon Brand. To call him the "accountant" isn't fair.

Mullens isn't going to let Lanning hire Art Briles as OC and bring his baggage to Oregon and tarnish the Brand. He probably wouldn't even hire his son Kendal Briles as the OC because he was at Baylor under his dad and the stink is on him as well. 

The USC Prez Carol Folt put the brakes on the Urban Meyer hire because of his baggage.

Admin runs these schools and the football coach isn't a God. 

Mullens hired Lanning and he can fire him tomorrow if he wants. That's how much weight Mullens swings as the AD.

Mullens and his staff have vetted every hire Lanning has made and will vet the next OC on any level they please

I wasn’t fair to Mullens. He’s the accountant AND the HR background check (i.e., veto power in EXTREME circumstances). He should make sure assistant coaching hires work financially and that they pass a background check; no more, no less.

Mullens SHOULD NOT be the assistant coach talent and fit evaluator/selector. The AD/President hire the Head Coach to RUN the DAY-TO-DAY operations of the program.

You rightly point out Mullens’ involvement in vetting. VETTING and SELECTING are different.

Dan Lanning SELECTS the candidates and the Pres./AD/HC VET the candidates. Check to make sure they aren’t criminals or slime-balls that will embarrass the University.

BUT, if Mullens approaches Dan Lanning and either rejects DL’s OC candidates, or provides a handpicked list of his own for DL to choose from, so he can give DL a “mentor” (i.e., babysitter), IMO, that’s insulting and backwards.

Dan Lanning’s first OC hire was a home run and he should be trusted to make another great OC hire.

Where DL truly deserves some heat is for the Ducks’ defensive performance; the foundational reason the Ducks aren’t 11-1 right now.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 10:38 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

DazeNconfused your writing is always informative, thought provoking and gives us much to ponder. Thank you and all those that comment.

My personal thoughts since i read your article at 5 am and have digested almost 50 diverse comments moves me in a different direction...

When you take the full snap shot of the season, DL has made hundreds of in game decisions in 12 games. The majority enabled the team to rise from the ashes of total annihilation in Georgia  Then run off 8 wins in a row. Thats leadership and coaching. The offense averaged 40 plus points in those games.

The Ducks were on their way to scoring over 40 points (and winning the game) when Bo got injured.  It was at the end of a 10 minute, 4th quarter drive that was a result of good coaching and execution. IMHO we lost that game because our coaching staff had not prepared a backup QB to read a basic goal line defense and execute a successful 1 yard gain. Not because of a in game decision that back fired. Score 40 plus and we beat the dogs. The Ducks had converted numerous 3rd and 4th down and short yardage situations all season. No reason to not go for it.......

(Fixing the lack of a prepared back up is a much greater priority)

The loss to the leg lifters was crushing. Imagine how the coaches and players felt. Once again, DL lifted the team from the ashes and they beat Utah and the best coach in the PAC. With a stationary QB, DL coached his team to the win.

Then for 3 quarters they handled the rodents. But for some reason the Duck D disappeared in the 4th quarter. It was the worst linebacker play in a quarter ever. Again IMHO, the Ducks lost to the rodents because of a complete defensive meltdown not because of a judgement gamble by DL (Fixing everything about a broken defense is again more of a priority than an in game coaching decision).

Hopefully DL can bring in a solid OC and a QB coach who can enhance QB player development. 40 plus points is a necessity with a weak D.

As for the D.....My youngest son was watching the game with me. He played cornerback for 3 years at the FBS level. He repeatedly called the Beaver play beforehand and pointed out what Duck linebacker was out of position. The intensity, passion and edge left the D at the beginning of the 4th quarter allowing momentum to shift.

He noticed that the Duck O  play calling went vanilla. Pethaps Dilly checked out for ASU. The O becane predictable and went thru the motions. Beavs seized the moment.

These are the things DL must fix. In game decisions may be the least of his problems. DL is a solid HC already. I will take some bonehead decisions if he fixes the real reasons we arent 11-1.

PERFECT POST!!

In both their losses the Ducks scored enough points to win the game . . . if they had a competent defense.

With a 34-17 lead at the beginning of the 4th quarter, Dilly should have been able to give his play sheet to his assistant and say, “Finish this thing off. My work is done. I’m hitting the hot tub early.”

• Thumbs Up 3

Spot on, Happy.  You nailed it!  One thing seldom mentioned by those who attribute error to coaches calling plays is that the QB often changes the play on the field, or at least makes a decision to pull the ball from an RB during the mesh and run it himself.  Nix did that late in the CW.

NO Coach will come to a school that demands, he takes outside advice, unless you give him a Guaranteed Contract.  Why should he take a job where he has no say, control and his career is controlled by another.  Mullens hired him to do a job.  Mullens needs to allow him to operate his team, ensuring that he is complying with Schools, NCAA and other rules and regulations maybe even a code of conduct.

If there was a potential problem with a hire, this may be where Mullens steps in to ensure that DL is aware of concerns.  One red flag I saw, had to do with Tosh Lupoi as his past history, reared its ugly head in some of Oregon offensive players appearing to fake injuries.  Two instances I can remember, the Hutson injury in the last seconds of the Washington game.  Another injury involving Franklin, the game escapes me but when I saw it, I thought of Lupoi and the Hutson instance just stood out even more.

I say this as character, honor and integrity should be important in work, sports and life.  Otherwise, why whine about coaching issues, performance or PAC 12 referees.  When teams started to fake injuries to slow Oregon down when Chip and Helfrich had the BLUR going warp speed, all Oregon fans hated that.  But as you can see TL has a chance to be a part of Oregon's success.  DL will help mentor TL, we learn from each other.  And hopefully TL is not like Lane Kiffin, who knows it ALL, someone who can not get out his own way, Mario Cristobal.  Rant over.