Ktmguy2018

Well, Bo Didn't Say No...

Love this guy's focus...can he come back for two or three more seasons??  Maybe show coaches how to focus on the next game and not the next job opening...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Bo Nix says he’s waiting until the end of the season to determine what his plans are for 2023.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo's a smart guy, he's not going to fall for that one.

That said, the odds of him staying are way down after KD's departure IMHO.  I would be amazed if he came back.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't expect that open ended response from him. 

I can't imagine why he would stay.

But he has a dad with a perfect background to help him make the best choice. 

It sounds like he'll play in the bowl game and I expect his ankle to be healthy by then.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's probably a mid-round draft pick at this point. He might be able to improve his stock a little bit but not much. However, get a good enough NIL deal and staying could be worth it, especially with some draft insurance. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Love to see him stay. He would be a great mentor for our young freshman and I get weary with transfer QBs even though we got a great one this year.

Lanning will have his OC in place by end of the week. I trust Lannings ability to hire. He has shown he has the ability to draw high level talent with both player and staff.

Once a new OC is in place Bo will know what he wants to do pretty quickly. He is probably going into draft, but maybe Lannings next hire will change Bo's mind.

Everything hinges on who Lanning hires. Portal opens on the 5th followed shortly by early signing. We will know inthe next 3 or 4 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm waiting for the Bo follows Dilly rumors in 3, 2, 1...

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:22 PM, Log Haulin said:

Lanning will have his OC in place by end of the week. I trust Lannings ability to hire. He has shown he has the ability to draw high level talent with both player and staff.

Once a new OC is in place Bo will know what he wants to do pretty quickly. He is probably going into draft, but maybe Lannings next hire will change Bo's mind.

Everything hinges on who Lanning hires. Portal opens on the 5th followed shortly by early signing. We will know inthe next 3 or 4 days.

Seems unlikely to me we'd know anything that soon, do you know something I don't?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:27 PM, noDucknewby said:

Seems unlikely to me we'd know anything that soon, do you know something I don't?

No, I don't. Lanning had his last OC hired within a week. The portal opens the 5th. Early signing comes right after. Seems likely Lanning will have his staff in place beforehand. 

Lanning has a ton of contacts and Oregon is a top job. Won't take long to fill the OC position. Lanning has probably already known for a week or two that he needs to fill the position.

Oregon came within 7 points from going to the CFP. It wasn't the offense that gave up those seven. Oregon is right on the edge of being great. Everyone knows it.

Not going to be hard to find the right guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:40 PM, Log Haulin said:

No, I don't. Lanning had his last OC hired within a week. The portal opens the 5th. Early signing comes right after. Seems likely Lanning will have his staff in place beforehand. 

Lanning has a ton of contacts and Oregon is a top job. Won't take long to fill the OC position. Lanning has probably already known for a week or two that he needs to fill the position.

Oregon came within 7 points from going to the CFP. It wasn't the offense that gave up those seven. Oregon is right on the edge of being great. Everyone knows it.

Not going to be hard to find the right guy.

Hope you're right and don't disagree with your points, but I'm still not convinced we'll know that soon.  I've been wrong before though.

• Let’s hope! 2

On 11/28/2022 at 9:31 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Love this guy's focus...can he come back for two or three more seasons??  Maybe show coaches how to focus on the next game and not the next job opening...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Bo Nix says he’s waiting until the end of the season to determine what his plans are for 2023.

Not sure what you mean by him "coming back for two or three more seasons" but no, he only has one season of eligibility left - but only if he opts out as the article says.  I expect he'll declare for the draft IF there is interest in him by the right NFL teams - which I also expect will be the case.  

The one option I certainly hope he does not take is the option to play one more year of collegiate football for his QB mentor Kenny Dillingham.  If that happens Oregon will certainly suffer, both in the recruiting wars and the gridiron.  Losing him to a Pac-12 opponent would be the worst case scenario for Oregon.  I don't expect him to do that but one never knows, does one?

I don't see Bo coming back. The quality and experience of Oregon's offensive line is going to see a significant if not big drop next year due to the departure of so many multi-year veterans. IMHO, I don't see how he could perform as well behind a lesser offensive line, and I'm guessing he's thinking that as well. And if he doesn't perform as well, you would think his draft stock would fall.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:35 PM, Mic said:

Not sure what you mean by him "coming back for two or three more seasons" but no, he only has one season of eligibility left

Oh, I know he he only has one year left...I was just being wistful in wanting a QB that showed the poise and grasp of the game like Bo. His leadership appeared to be the real deal too.

AB just didn't seem to have the level of game knowledge that Bo has... probably a little unfair to AB to say that given the coaching regime he played for...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 4:35 PM, Mic said:

The one option I certainly hope he does not take is the option to play one more year of collegiate football for his QB mentor Kenny Dillingham. 

From my understanding, a player can only transfer one time and be granted immediate eligibility ("one-time transfer exception").  Therefore, Bo Nix cannot transfer to another college football program since he only has 1 year of eligibility remaining, unless he receives an NCAA waiver (highly unlikely, IMHO).

This is a good rule, IMO, because it prevents players from transferring or threatening to transfer every year to get more NIL dollars.

"The “one-time transfer exception” remains in place, allowing immediate eligibility for athletes the first time they transfer. For all subsequent transfers, athletes will still be required to sit out a year or receive an NCAA waiver for immediate eligibility."

WWW.AL.COM

Athletes must give notification to transfer within certain ‘windows’

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:39 AM, noDucknewby said:

the odds of him staying are way down after KD's departure IMHO.

If the UO science department were to "Frankenstein" Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Bill Walsh and Don Shula as the new OC... Bo would still be going to the NFL.  He got lucky with a sprained ankle, imagine what a serious and permanent injury would have cost him.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:00 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

If the UO science department were to "Frankenstein" Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Bill Walsh and Don Shula as the new OC... Bo would still be going to the NFL.  He got lucky with a sprained ankle, imagine what a serious and permanent injury would have cost him.

That then begs the quuestion, what happens next year.  Bo was the difference between a potential 11-1 team if he'd remained healthy, a 9-3 team once wounded, and a losing record if he weren't here.  With Bo gone, what do we have?  Two highly rated, but apparently inadequate returning QBs, and a 5 star incoming freshman.  No matter how they play, it's going to be a large step down from what Bo provided.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:42 PM, 47sgs said:

That then begs the quuestion, what happens next year.  Bo was the difference between a potential 11-1 team if he'd remained healthy, a 9-3 team once wounded, and a losing record if he weren't here.  With Bo gone, what do we have?  Two highly rated, but apparently inadequate returning QBs, and a 5 star incoming freshman.  No matter how they play, it's going to be a large step down from what Bo provided.

If Bo leaves, I would be shocked if Oregon didn’t look for a transfer QB to complete against and then mentor the young QBs. 

The QB roster room will have Juniors in it. No more excuses. We don't need anymore training. They are ready or they aren't.

I think he's being diplomatic and doesn't want to contribute to any distractions about him leaving before the bowl game.  He's a smart kid.

Where the hell is Dan Lanning? He was the Captain of the Titanic this season and gave one 10 minute press conference and dissapeared. I would expect more accountability from a head coach.

• Oh no! 1

I am so happy.  This season is a vast improvement compared to how it went last year.  Coach Lanning and his staff (assembled very quickly) managed to save a lot of recruits and Oregon players who were ready to bolt.

The Transfer Portal was sifted and recruited.  Who knew the quality running backs Irving and Whittington.  Chase Cota improved the receiver room.  Christian Gonzalez improved the DB room.

The best experienced QB possible to get came to lead the Ducks.  I will be forever grateful Bo Nix is an Oregon Duck!

Nebraska fired a 9-3 coach because they felt they should have won a championship.  Nebraska has been a loser ever since! 

I, for one, want to be patient.  For now Dan Lanning has my trust.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Last December Bo Nix transferred to Oregon. I would imagine in the coming weeks we will have a new OC, and then the work begins on the team we will see next season.

We can definitely focus on the recent past and wallow in what could have been. We can also look forward to what could be an exciting next few weeks as we build for next season. We have the new OC, recruitment, signing, transfers and a bowl game. 

I would love to see Bo come back and be part of that future. The future is going to be bright, so I am not holding my breath on Bo, just excited to see who is going to be part of it. Great times ahead!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/30/2022 at 6:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would imagine in the coming weeks we will have a new OC, and then the work begins on the team we will see next season.

That is pretty much how I see it as well, once the new OC is announced the staff will meet to discuss the 2023 offense and that will be formed out of what pieces are available.  There could be a transfer QB in the mix associated with the new QB coach or we could execute with what we have coming out of the spring game.

Oregon has proven to be a desirable location for transfer QBs but we will have to wait and see.  For my money I think the 2023 team will be a less dynamic offense but a vastly improved defense and likely a similar record (+/- 1-2 wins) as this year.

What I hope to see is Dante Moore come to Oregon and the offense focus a bit more on less mobile QB play and a more dynamic but accurate passing attack.  The O-line will regress somewhat but there is plenty of talent there to see really good O-line play in situational calls and have plenty of rushing in the mix.

It is unfortunate the article didn't mention anything about grad transfers.  Kids who graduated college in the past were able to transfer without waiting a year.

Oregon is obviously losing a few decent players to the portal (Cardwell?Thornton), in addition to the departure of the OC.

That doesn't denote a, b49c6408bb8a5de04d412fa74b79a32c.jpg moment.

This could be an exciting transition to the next stage of OBD!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:49 AM, Flybywire said:

Where the hell is Dan Lanning? He was the Captain of the Titanic this season and gave one 10 minute press conference and dissapeared. I would expect more accountability from a head coach.

The recruiting contact period opened two days ago. He’s probably out visiting them in their homes/schools and trying to lock them up before the early signing period. Oh, and he’s probably looking for an OC on top of all that. Besides, what is he going to say that he didn’t say in that 10 minutes post game interview? I like that he’s moved past the season and on to the next objective.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/29/2022 at 11:49 PM, Flybywire said:

To go along with what DrJacksPlaidPants stated.

Dan Lanning is doing EXACTLY what he should be doing. Finishing up and finalizing recruiting, talking to and retaining the current payers,  looking for a new OC, and hopefully a new Special Teams coach.

He has a TON on his plate currently. He definitely should not be focusing on us fans.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2022 at 6:14 AM, Smith72 said:

I am so happy.  This season is a vast improvement compared to how it went last year.  Coach Lanning and his staff (assembled very quickly) managed to save a lot of recruits and Oregon players who were ready to bolt.

The Transfer Portal was sifted and recruited.  Who knew the quality running backs Irving and Whittington.  Chase Cota improved the receiver room.  Christian Gonzalez improved the DB room.

The best experienced QB possible to get came to lead the Ducks.  I will be forever grateful Bo Nix is an Oregon Duck!

Nebraska fired a 9-3 coach because they felt they should have won a championship.  Nebraska has been a loser ever since! 

I, for one, want to be patient.  For now Dan Lanning has my trust.

"Vast Improvement over last year"  

I would agree this season was a "vast improvement" from an entertainment standpoint, the games were high scoring and a lot more fun to watch.

But...

At this point last season we were 10-2 ( one win better) and heading to a pac-12 championship game.  We also had a win, on the road, over the 3rd ranked team in the nation, Ohio St.

Mario was boring, but he did get us a Rose Bowl win and 2 pac-12 titles. I think he deserves a little more credit for those accomplishments. 

I'd be happy if Lanning could get us 2 pac-12 titles and a Rose Bowl win in the next 4 seasons.  

Edited by Southwest Duck

Mario also gave us an embarrassing loss in Utah.  In addition Mario then gave us an embarrassing loss in the Pac-12 Championship game.  Then that head coach left us for Miami.

Comparing a 3 point loss to Washington and a 4 point loss to OSU is not as bad as those 2  Utah losses last year.  We were in the games this year. If not for an injured QB this season would have been 11-1.

In my opinion this year was better than the chaos that Mario left behind in Oregon!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

...on the fence resting his ankle.

I guess I could see this happening if he needed surgery after the bowl and couldn't make it to the combine 100% healthy.

I guess we have some drama to look forward to...

• Go Ducks! 1

Better "on the fence" than "mind made up".

He needs to think it over well and make the best decision for him and his wife. Hopefully, he takes her input seriously. He has a little time to decide.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Bo Nix returning to Oregon? Recent social media post brings question to the forefront

While that question still hasn’t been answered officially, a recent post on Nix’s Instagram page

seems to touch on the subject a little bit.

Nix posted a video of him running for a touchdown against the Washington Huskies with the

caption “Running into bowl week like… Who’s ready?”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Is Bo Nix staying for another year in Eugene? His latest Instagram post makes it a question worth asking.

• Go Ducks! 1

Maybe Bo is having the time of his life with DL. Why be in a big hurry to face NFL defenses. With a good nil deal, a insurance plan, and a stud coming in to mentor might be appealing to him. Maybe his wife likes it here, who really knows.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A lot of signs are pointing toward Bo Nix returning in 2023. However, if he were to leave, who would start at QB for the Ducks?

So, serious question. What does the QB field look like next year for the NFL draft? I don't know enough to even make a guess. Thoughts