Charles Fischer

Whoa! Quarterbacks for 2022 are Drying Up!

I don't like the looks of this for Oregon as four of the top five QBs for 2022 have already verbally committed?  Some good discussion and makes me wonder if 2022 isn't the year of taking a "project," since we have a stacked QB room already?

Domino Effect: How Murphy's Pledge will Impact QB Recruiting by Rivals.com

Image result for Jay Butterfield Oregon twitter

Jay Butterfield during his recruitment...

Mr. FishDuck

Losing out on a big name in 2022 would hurt.... 

However, Oregon is in a great position at the moment where the need isn't as dire as other programs because Oregon has so many young quarterbacks. The quarterback battle this off season may very well determine the starter for the next three to four years for the program. So any recruit this year may end up transferring anyways. 

With that said losing a big name would hurt the recruiting stature of Oregon slightly. Though on the flip side as so many states have had no or a limited football season there are a lot of potential good to great quarterbacks out there who didn't get to play their junior years. So they may be unranked or a three star recruit but could bloom into a four or five star if given the opportunities their senior years. 

Certainly something to watch but at this point I'm not too worried. 

Well, I am concerned about an unlikely outcome...such as Ty Thompson becoming the starter by season's end?  That would clear-out the QB room with transfers, and thus this 2022 QB could now become quite important...

Image result for Dan Fouts San Diego twitter

Mr. FishDuck

8 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Well, I am concerned about an unlikely outcome...such as Ty Thompson becoming the starter by season's end? 

Now that you put it that way. I can curb my enthusiasm for Thompson, however talented he looks to be, from becoming the starter. Let's go, Butterfield!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 30Duck said:

I can curb my enthusiasm for Thompson, however talented he looks to be, from becoming the starter. Let's go, Butterfield!

My money is on Butterfield winning the starting job right now. Even with a much reduced season and practice time, he has been working on the Moorhead system longer and he has a pretty high ceiling which can propell him past Brown. 

Butterfield had complete control over the No. 2 spot last spring and then Brown joined the team later and bumped Butterfield to No. 3. 

With Shough's departure Butterfield is back in the No. 2 spot behind Brown but with a full spring and fall I wouldn't be surprised if he jumps Brown at some point before the season starts. 

Thompson will redshirt and grow. Digesting the college game is pretty tough, especially at quarterback.

Herbert was highly unusual that he saw the field as a freshman and even more unusual that he won the starting job halfway through the season. Moreover, Herbert won the starting job in 2016 because his redshirt was already burned and the Duck's season was already dead due to a poor defense so there was nothing to lose.

Give Thompson the time he needs to develop and he will produce big time for Oregon. 

Since Ashford enrolled and is playing baseball, I think he can't be drafted back into baseball until he is 21 or a junior? Of course he could leave to play elsewhere in both sports, but if baseball is going well, I could see him less likely to chase QB playing time elsewhere (of course that could be wrong).

True, and Ashford could be that long-term project I spoke of....kind of how Dennis Dixon was as a Grey-Shirt for Oregon.

Dennis Dixon Storm Trooper_Video.jpg

Dixon leaving Huskies on the ground in the epic game in Seattle in Storm-Trooper uniforms!

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon offered Gavin Wimsatt January 20th.

He's very raw mechanics-wise, but he has prototypical size, premier athleticism, and an impressive clock in his head.

I have watched his tape as well as Duffy. I would take Wimsatt over Duffy six days a week and twice on Sunday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Malik Murphy committing to Sark and Texas will have repercussions with California recruiting. A big domino that other recruits will look at. Let’s see how it plays out with another hand fighting for Cali recruits.
 I’m of the theory that you need to take at least one QB every recruiting cycle. It’s just too important of a position not to. The good (and bad) news is that the 2022 class will be the most inaccurately scouted one in quite some time. No high school football, at least in the fall, in a lot of places. The summer camp circuit where underclassmen QB build their reputations were curtailed. It doesn’t have to be a borderline 5-star recruit for the Ducks this year, there will be some late riser; Thompson skyrocketed up the rankings this time of year. 

11 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

Malik Murphy committing to Sark and Texas will have repercussions with California recruiting. A big domino that other recruits will look at. Let’s see how it plays out with another hand fighting for Cali recruits.

Texas has been down for as long as USC at this point and it has been a major factor in keeping the pac-12 from a full scale recruiting disaster. 

Yes, the pac-12 has had lots of problems but a Texas able to recruit at the highest levels does threaten a greater talent drain from the pac-12. 

Sark is looking like a great hire for Texas but that may have some major repercussions for the PAC. 

Texas, is not easy on coaches.  High Expectations and not a lot of time to prove ones self.  Mack Brown went 158 wins to 48 losses over 15 years.  He set the bar but Texas thought he got too comfortable?

Charlie Strong went 16 wins to 21 losses over 3 years, having the #7, #12 and #20 recruiting classes.  Tom Herman went 23 wins to 13 losses over 4 years, having the #25, #3, #3, and #8 recruiting classes.  Now Steve Sarkisian will be expected to . . . . in year one, having landed the #17 recruiting class.

With the talent from 2018 and 2019 #3 classes and the 2020 #8 class, he should have enough experience to help him get off the ground running in the 2021 season.  One would think, I hope for his sake.  Coaching under Saban the last two years and his short stint back in 2016, does not mean he has learned how to deal with the pressure.  Texas gets real hot if you don't win the big games or are not part of the big discussion of the four team playoff.

I think that Lane Kiffin would have been a better choice, he put together a nice record at FAU before taking the University of Mississippi job.  Problem is that Lane probably goes back to USC if Helton does not get it together, this year.  Hope he pays attention to signs of being left on the bus at the airport.  If he learned anything from Saban, put in writing a NO ONE LEFT BEHIND clause in your contract.

• Haha 1

This is as excited as I have been in a long time to see a QB battle at Oregon. There is so much talent and potential. While I love the idea of Ty coming in and starting I wouldn't mind seeing him sit a year. I think it is a Butterfield/Brown battle at the moment although Ashford is freaky athletic. I do agree that Ty winning the starting job could create a lot of turnover.

On the recruiting front I would love to see the Ducks get heavily involved in MJ Morris. I really like his film. I also have grown quite fond of duel threat QBs

I can't see a 5* QB sitting on the bench for the 2021 season. If he's the real deal then he's the starter or co-starter after the Ohio St game IMO. The rest can sit and watch or transfer. 

Tate Martell, comes to mind, was he not a 5 star or very high 4 star?  Has he not transferred twice already?  He was a verbal commit, at 14 years old, to Steve Sarkisan at the U of Washington.  Signed with the Ohio State, transferred to Miami and now to UNLV?  I would like to think we have a better option, that buys Ty Thompson some time to get smarter, faster and stronger before being thrown into the fray.  But we shall see.

Justin and Marcus should help in our recruiting. The Heisman and then NFL rookie of the year is a good track record for a program going after qb's. 

The question is does our recruiting of these two, 3* diamonds in the rough, help us in how we recruit. I would love to see us recruit a fastball throwing baseball pitcher, who is a 6' 2" point guard, that also lead his team to a unexpected deep run in the football playoffs for his high school. This is, of course, a made up scenario, but I love the multi-sport athlete, who plays under the radar, no recruiting camps.

Can we find the 'Brock Purdy type,' who is a gamer, and doesn't have all the exact measurables? Do we recruit the kids who aren't highly touted anymore? There have to be plenty of Vernon Adams, Masoli's, or Josh Allens just waiting to be discovered, right?

These are the kids who make every program better. We need the kids who outwork everybody and knows how to make everyone around them better, they are just gamers. Bill Musgrave was probably my favorite gamer, weak arm, not fast, but knew how to win. We need to at least bring in a gamer to push the elite crowd to new heights.

Edited by Haywarduck

QBs on the Ducks roster. 

2018 recruits:  Bradley Yaffe, preferred walk on

2020 recruits: Jay Butterfield, Robby Ashford

Transfers: Anthony Brown

2021 recruit:  Ty Thompson

Anthony Brown is for sure in his last season and I'm guessing Ashford/Butterfield will be gone at the end of the season or in the middle of 2021.  I have never heard of Yaffe.  As a preferred walk-on, I don't see him playing into the competetion.  That leaves 2 QBs on the roster.  That is pretty thin, but with the free season for Ashford/Butterfield, they will still have 4 seasons left, if they were to redshirt in 2021. 

However, if TT were to win the position, I'm not sure I can see either staying and being backup for 3 or 4 seasons.  Remember verbal commitments mean close to nothing.  If Oregon is down to 1 QB going into the 2022 season, you can bet QB recruits will be taking a 2nd look at Oregon.  If TT or Butterfield win the job, they will have only 3 seasons left.  A recruit will likely think they will reshirt 1 season and then win the job the next season.  All is not lost yet with verbal commits.

1 hour ago, Tandaian said:

Anthony Brown is for sure in his last season and I'm guessing Ashford/Butterfield will be gone at the end of the season or in the middle of 2021.  I have never heard of Yaffe.  As a preferred walk-on, I don't see him playing into the competetion.  That leaves 2 QBs on the roster.  That is pretty thin, but with the free season for Ashford/Butterfield, they will still have 4 seasons left, if they were to redshirt in 2021. 

However, if TT were to win the position, I'm not sure I can see either staying and being backup for 3 or 4 seasons.  Remember verbal commitments mean close to nothing.  If Oregon is down to 1 QB going into the 2022 season, you can bet QB recruits will be taking a 2nd look at Oregon.  If TT or Butterfield win the job, they will have only 3 seasons left.  A recruit will likely think they will reshirt 1 season and then win the job the next season.  All is not lost yet with verbal commits.

This seems very astute. I think this day and age, it's much more fluid than it used to be, and the recruits are also more strategic in planning where they go.

Plus, it seems like the Ducks are still firmly in the hunt for A.J. Duffy, who incidentally was playing ball about a half-hour drive from me before he transferred to Florida. If they reel him in, that solves any transfer problems for at least one year.