Mudslide

Marcus Arroyo Goes Clunk

Another case of the grass not necessarily being greener and maybe promoting above ones skill level?

Can't blame anyone for wanting to be the one in charge, but it's not as easy as it looks! 

Good luck MA. 

Could be a candidate for the OC position here at Oregon.  He actually wasn't half-bad considering what we now know was incessant meddling by Mario in his offensive schemes plus the dearth of receiver talent at the time...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2022 at 12:58 PM, kirklandduck said:

Could be a candidate for the OC position here at Oregon.  He actually wasn't half-bad considering what we now know was incessant meddling by Mario in his offensive schemes plus the dearth of receiver talent at the time...

Is this sarcasm, as well? Not throwing shade, but I missed it before in another thread.

I vote NO! He could have stayed. He left. The locks were changed. Call Mario.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2022 at 2:22 PM, nw777b said:

Is this sarcasm, as well? Not throwing shade, but I missed it before in another thread.

I vote NO! He could have stayed. He left. The locks were changed. Call Mario.

No it wasn't sarcasm. He did leave but most OCs want to be HCs so I don't blame him for leaving, especially for a plum group of 5 gig like UNLV. 

I doubt most assistant coaches would want to work with Mario again, especially OCs.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2022 at 2:44 PM, kirklandduck said:

No it wasn't sarcasm. He did leave but most OCs want to be HCs so I don't blame him for leaving, especially for a plum group of 5 gig like UNLV. 

I doubt most assistant coaches would want to work with Mario again, especially OCs.

Ok. Gotcha! Sorry.

So is Chip the only coach to have left Oregon and be "successful", which comes with a lot of qualifiers of coz...

I wonder if future incoming coaches are going to look at that and think twice before coming here, unless they want to be OBD lifers.   Is this a good thing for us?

On 11/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, nw777b said:

Ok. Gotcha! Sorry.

No worries!

Going 7-23 just amazes me.  I haven't been following UNLV or any teams in that conference, per se, but this was terrible.  How could such a seemingly bright football mind as Arroyo go so off the tracks unless it's a good illustration of how some coaches are good at certain positions but NOT as a Head Coach which, in truth, is more like a Manager in Pro Baseball.   He'll probably land on his feet somewhere but not as a H.C.

Oddly enough, his name was mentioned in October for the Colorado HC job.

COLORADOBUFFALOESWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Buffs should keep their eye on this former Oregon coordinator

On 11/28/2022 at 3:58 PM, kirklandduck said:

I actually think this suggests that perhaps Mario didn't meddle in the offense as much as we would like to believe.

Consider that Arroyo, who prior to taking the Oregon OC position was virtually and vocally (and for a long time as stated in many interviews) in love with the pistol offense. He then proceeded to install the very same offense at UNLV and well...  you've seen the results.

After he left and we brought on Moorhead, we slowly switched out of the pistol during his first year and nearly completely out of it his second.

Just food for thought, but the pistol was kind of Arroyo's "thing."

I don't imagine "offensive genius" Moorhead will last much longer at Akron either. 

• Thumbs Up 1