Pennsylvania Duck

Transfer Portal: Players of Interest

Do Ducks need a center? This guy sounds good...zero sacks zero QB hits!

Boy...we could have a completely experienced offensive line, but boy--I don't know if there is a scholarship for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/4/2023 at 6:53 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Boy...we could have a completely experienced offensive line, but boy--I don't know if there is a scholarship for him.

Seems like we are totally in the dark as to how we are going to put so many guys on the team and still hold the total scholarships to 85. We keep guessing, but I think we are probably going to have to stay tuned to see how it all comes out in the end.

I'm guessing that DL and the brain trust have at least some things figured out.  

I am seeing some smoke about former South Carolina DL Jordan Birch, someone who Georgia recruited hard out of high school, being a  target of interest for the Ducks. The "smoke" was on the Georgia blogs. Anybody connected to the Ducks  know anything about this? Jordan is a former 5-star and a very good college player.

On 1/5/2023 at 1:26 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

I am seeing some smoke about former South Carolina DL Jordan Birch, someone who Georgia recruited hard out of high school, being a  target of interest for the Ducks. The "smoke" was on the Georgia blogs. Anybody connected to the Ducks  know anything about this? Jordan is a former 5-star and a very good college player

Not connected to any insight on this or whether Oregon Coach Dan Lanning will be going after Birch, but just saw this on DUCKSWIRE:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

South Carolina’s Jordan Burch is now in the transfer portal. Burch has a strong connection with Dan Lanning, who recruited the 5-star hard at Georgia.

Would Oregon want to go after another seasoned WR through the portal?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Former Cal WR J.Michael Sturdivant, one of the leading WRs in the Pac-12 in 2022, is now available in the transfer portal.

Fresno State safety Evan Williams on recruiting visit to Oregon

Williams, who is the younger brother of former Oregon safety Bennett Williams, posted on his

Instagram Story that he was in Eugene on Saturday afternoon.

There is not yet a clear timeline for when he is expected to make a commitment or if he is planning

on taking any other visits throughout the month, but this is a great early sign for the Ducks.

Oregon currently has a need for depth and talent at the safety position, and Williams could be a massive addition to the roster.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Fresno State safety Evan Williams is in Eugene for a visit with the Ducks. He would be a big get at a position of need for Oregon.

Keep your fingers crossed...This would be huge add for Ducks

• Let’s hope! 2

On 1/10/2023 at 7:59 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Keep your fingers crossed...This would be huge add for Ducks

Prediction that it will happen from Scoop Duck.

Edited by jrw
  • Let’s hope! 1

So, if Mr. Burch, a 5* LB, with a 6'5" frame and weighing 275lbs can be bought for ~$63,000.00.......

Hmmm. 

I truly want a cultural roster not a mercenary one. I believe it's how you create said culture in the locker room and bring everyone to a specific mind set. But, if you can line the field for $2 million per year with top 5-10 player at any given position that truly wants to fight to get to The League??? Seems like getting a disgruntled player, that has already played at the Collegiate level and has some Adult growth on them, would be more of a predictable outcome.

If you can get these Men to buy into 'High Motor' all the time then why not?

On 1/10/2023 at 12:08 PM, 1Funduck said:

So, if Mr. Burch, a 5* LB, with a 6'5" frame and weighing 275lbs can be bought for ~$63,000.00.......

Just curious, where did you see that $$ amount? I hadn't run across that.

On 1/10/2023 at 2:26 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Just curious, where did you see that $$ amount? I hadn't run across that.

Everywhere I looked on information about Burch, does not show $$ amount.  The biggest news is what came from insider Justin Hopkins.

On the picture that is in your link. It has NIL value. I'm guessing that is NOT the actual paid amount. Looks like prognostication by the web site.

Edited by 1Funduck
  • Thanks 1

Prediction:  Oregon Poised for Big Transfer Portal Addition

From Max Torres (going along with what Justin Hopkins is saying):  

"After receiving recent intel from insider sources, I'm predicting the Oregon Ducks will land South Carolina transfer Jordan Burch.

The highly-coveted transfer took an official visit to Oregon over the weekend."

e1afd07b-ad23-44c2-9f76-03d40c3a9cbc

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/article271011312.html#storylink=rss

On 1/10/2023 at 3:54 PM, 1Funduck said:

On the picture that is in your link. It has NIL value. I'm guessing that is NOT the actual paid amount. Looks like prognostication by the web site.

You're right, it is not an amount paid to the player. According to ON3 (the originating site of the author), the NIL Valuation establishes the overall NIL market and projected 12-month growth rate by measuring two categories, Brand Value Index and Roster Value Index. It goes into detail at this site:

WWW.ON3.COM

The On3 NIL Valuation, Post Value and the NIL 100 set the standard market value for student-athletes and their NIL deals.

Hmmm. 

I truly want a cultural roster not a mercenary one. I believe it's how you create said culture in the locker room and bring everyone to a specific mind set. But, if you can line the field for $2 million per year with top 5-10 player at any given position that truly wants to fight to get to The League??? Seems like getting a disgruntled player, that has already played at the Collegiate level and has some Adult growth on them, would be more of a predictable outcome.

If you can get these Men to buy into 'High Motor' all the time then why not?

Everything I've heard about Burch, he will fit the culture just fine. We need talent on D now, develop culture guys for later and win now with guys like Burch. I'm okay with that.

247SPORTS.COM

The Transfer Portal season is officially upon the college football landscape.  FBS-level players can officially enter the transfer portal starting December 5th, and

This was originally posted by NJ Duck in another thread.

"Former 5-star Georgia CB Jaheim Singletary could be interesting transfer target for Ducks."

"Georgia Bulldogs true freshman cornerback Jaheim Singletary, a former 5-star commit from the 2022 class, announced that he would be entering the transfer portal and looking for a new school. Singletary committed to the Bulldogs as the No. 5 CB in the nation, and No. 27 overall player in the 2022 class."

"This is interesting for Oregon fans for two reasons; the Ducks have a need to fill at the cornerback position, even after adding Alabama transfer Khyree Jackson earlier in the offseason, and Lanning has a relationship with Singletary already."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Former 5-star Georgia CB Jaheim Singletary is headed to the transfer portal. He committed to the Bulldogs when Lanning was...

This was originally posted by 1Funduck in reference to post above regarding Georgia CB Jaheim Singletary.

All-conference LB enters portal...Omar Speights

Oregon State inside linebacker Omar Speights, the Beavers’

most experienced defender, enters transfer portal

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Speights, who has 39 career starts, is among OSU's top 10 in career tackles and is a three-time all-conference linebacker

Speights would be a great pick up.  Hear his name mentioned in game time and time again.  Don't know who is courting him or where he is interested in going.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:50 AM, savagefund said:

Speights would be a great pick up.  Hear his name mentioned in game time and time again.  Don't know who is courting him or where he is interested in going.

Honestly it seems like a players you guys might go for, I just hope he isn't going to USC.

On 1/13/2023 at 1:32 PM, spartan2785 said:

Honestly it seems like a players you guys might go for, I just hope he isn't going to USC.

Totally like your way of thinking.

On Thursday afternoon, an interesting name popped up in the transfer portal when it was reported that Georgia Bulldogs’ former 5-star cornerback Jaheim Singletary was looking to leave Athens and find a new school to play for.

Another intriguing name popped up in the portal on Friday morning, with Georgia edge defender MJ Sherman announcing that he would enter the portal as well.

Both of these players are worth noting for Oregon Duck fans for a couple of reasons; they both fill positions of need for the Ducks, and they both have close ties to Oregon coach Dan Lanning.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

MJ Sherman struggled to find a role with Georgia, but he is a former top-50 recruit with close ties to Dan Lanning, looking for a new home.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Former four-star defensive lineman recruit Keanu Williams has announced he will enter the transfer portal, ending his time in Eugene.

Interesting timing for Keanu Williams, the portal window closes Wednesday and doesn't reopen until May.  Is a player allowed to sign outside the authorized portal dates?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

In this new world of the transfer portal, building and maintaining relationships can pay off down the road. Nobody knows that as well as Dan Lanning.

• Thanks 1

I see David Hicks and Peyton Bowen at Oregon in 24 months. You heard it here first!! 

When the kid wants to go to a specific school and that's what's in his heart, it's not just going to wither away. Of course, girlfriends and the like will have an impact. But, in this day and age, an NIL deal provides enough cash to support a girlfriend transfer as well.

Bowen clearly wanted to go to Oregon. But that look on his mom's face when he mentioned Oregon told the whole story. Putting my Duck glasses down for a second, parents who push their kids towards the parent's dream, and not the kids, are planting the seeds of regret by the parents and animosity by the kid. I realize that having a child be this good and having Nationwide options is a dream come true for the entire family. How often does this happen? Definitely a point to ponder.

Do you want to live vicariously through your children and overshadow their dreams, or do you prefer that they live out their dreams and you become a part their journey? At some point, when you move out of your bedroom and under the direction of your parents, you will realize that you are growing into an adult and need to make decisions that benefit your life. After all, these kids must live with the consequences of their actions. It's only fair that they should get the final say of how it's lived without the guilt trip from one's parents. I don't care what school we are talking or what course in life we are talking. 

IMO, guide your children with the values you have adopted. Hope that they see the wisdom with which you have guided. Communicate well even if you have to go back and apologize. Be their advocate, and then let them make their own decision and support them as the final say, even if you don't agree. It's OK to voice it but let them know you support their decision anyway.

I know this is in the weeds a bit. I just look a little deeper than NLI day. These are real kids trying to make everyone happy. Hearts are involved. Hopefully, unnecessary family division is avoided.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is it just me or Did the PAC just pick up 2 of the top WR and 3 of the top 10 QB's? I know we are early, but I foresee the PAC, -U$C and UCLA, AA making a large jump in 2024 recruiting. Top to bottom, the PAC will be the best conference for 2023 season including bowls. 

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks have added some of the top transfers in the nation this offseason. Which ones will have the biggest impact in 2023?

One of the more secretive recruitments in the transfer portal involves former USC wide receiver Gary Bryant Jr. The 5-foot-11, 164-pounder announced his intent to transfer on January 9 and has yet to reveal many details about a future destination.

Highly coveted WR Transfer @Gary_Bryant01 will visit Oregon in March according to @Scott_Schrader ahead of a decision by the end of the month.  Visiting Oregon (3/16) and Texas A&M (3/24) before announcing transfer destination at the end of March.

The Ducks most certainly could use an addition(s) to the TE room.

On 3/1/2023 at 10:30 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The Ducks most certainly could use an addition(s) to the TE room.

Always tempered with which team member do you run off to make room.

Oregon Linebacker Jestin Jacobs Tabbed a Top 2024 NFL Draft Prospect

Jacobs transferred in from Iowa this offseason and is looking to bounce back from injury in a big way in 2023.

_medium.webp

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/football/oregon-lb-jestin-jacobs-tabbed-a-top-2024-nfl-draft-prospect

Despite that, it appears that Oregon coaches and players are still working hard to try and get Bryant into the mix, according to Greg Biggens. 

“Junior Adams (WR coach) wants Gary really bad,” Bryant said. “Bo Nix has been reaching out all the time, recruiting Gary and telling him how much they need him. 

“They have some good receivers already there but they said they don’t really have a guy like Gary who can do what he does and return punts and kicks as well.”

Bryant had a great season in 2021, scoring 7 touchdowns in total, but the increased competition in 2022 with Jordan Addison and Brenden Rice in the picture caused his target share to drop. Now he’s looking for a new team to play for.

Might that be the Ducks? They will get a chance to try and convince him of that next week.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

It looks like the Ducks aren’t done trying to add to the WR depth chart this offseason.

ESPN names Oregon's 'newcomer to watch' prior to the start of spring practice

ESPN previewed spring practice for every Pac-12 team on Wednesday.

That included Oregon, which is looking to build off of a 9-3 campaign in Dan Lanning’s first season at the helm. The Ducks were rolling until a late-season injury to quarterback Bo Nix preceded losses in two of their last three regular-season games.

A big reason for the success up to that point was Oregon’s ability to keep Nix upright and free from any danger. With a huge piece of that offensive line moving on from the program, Oregon’s strength up front will be a major storyline throughout the offseason. ESPN’s writers seem to feel the same.

ESPN analysts picked a “newcomer to watch” for each team in the league. For the Ducks, it’s a transfer on the offensive line.

Here’s what Kyle Bonagura wrote:

Offensive lineman Ajani Cornelius is one of the more interesting offseason transfers. An unheralded recruit coming out of high school in New York, he blossomed into one of the most sought-after players in the portal over the last two seasons at FCS Rhode Island. 

Cornelius was one of two transfer offensive linemen to join the program this offseason, alongside former Texas lineman Junior Angilau.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

ESPN previewed spring ball for teams throughout the Pac-12, and named the top newcomer to watch for the Oregon Ducks.

• Let’s hope! 1

Where Oregon's 2023 transfers rank among the nation's top 150

Do you remember back to the end of the 2022 calendar year when the transfer portal window opened up and Oregon Duck fans started to feel a bit uneasy?

It’s understandable why, as a number of players on the current roster — like Byron Cardwell, Dont’e Thornton, Justin Flowe, and so on — announced they would be entering the transfer portal.

Some thought that it showed players didn’t want to play at Oregon, while others realized that the Ducks were simply making way for a crop of players better suited to Dan Lanning’s system to come to Eugene.

It appears now that the latter half of thinkers were correct, with a birds-eye-view showing us that the talent level on Oregon’s roster has vastly improved this offseason.

The best way to see this is by looking at the latest transfer portal rankings from 247Sports. Of the 10 transfers that the Ducks added this offseason, 6 ranked inside the top 150. Contrarily, of the 22 players who transferred out of Eugene, only 2 ranked inside the top 150.

It’s not hard to do the math and see that Oregon got better.

So where did all of the Oregon players, both outgoing and incoming, rank among the 247Sports top 150? Let’s take a look.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks are well represented when it comes to the latest Top 150 transfer portal rankings from 247Sports.

• Go Ducks! 1

Analyzing Oregon’s Chances With USC Transfer Gary Bryant Jr.

The Ducks are battling to add a top wide receiver from the transfer portal.

The Oregon Ducks are no strangers to the transfer portal.

Whether it's players joining the Ducks or leaving the program, head coach Dan Lanning is well aware of the role the portal plays in overhauling or retooling your roster.

Oregon hasn't been as active as other schools in leveraging the portal, but the Ducks have signed 10 players this offseason, including a pair of wide receivers in Traeshon Holden (Alabama) and Tez Johnson (Troy).

Might they add another?

a641346b-28e3-42fd-922c-1484c558b4d8

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/college/article273755730.html#storylink=rss

Former USC WR Gary Bryant finished with visits, eyes May decision as three schools stand out

Oregon continues to push hard and remains a serious contender.

“Gary feels really comfortable with Junior Adams (WR coach),” Bryant said. “He has known him since high school and he’s a very genuine person that we like and trust.

“Oregon has a lot of receivers but Troy Franklin is the main guy who has established himself and they feel Gary would be a great complement to him. Plus they want Gary returning punts and kicks and that’s something he really wants to do to showcase that part of his game. Coach Lanning reaches out as well and the whole staff is coming hard and being very aggressive.”

247SPORTS.COM

Following his final official visit to Texas A&M, there has been some shuffling at the top of the board for the top uncommitted player in the 2023 transfer portal.