Charles Fischer

Dilly's ASU Decision was Rash....Like His Coaching?

This is not throwing shade on him, but my own personal observation. In my view, he is not ready.  He thinks he is, just as he thought he could make a number of 4th downs starting in the Cal game.  Yet I feel that at times his game-plans and play-calling were brilliant--I really do.  I was going to do an analysis series on them in the off-season...so much for that!

But in the end at the crunch moments--his youthful inexperience as an OC almost lost a game or two, and actually did lose two for us.  This is why they call it risk, and thus why I truly believe he needed more experience, more seasoning.

But then, that would mean it would be at our expense again.  Can we find an OC who has already learned this stuff the hard way?

Fantastic article today by DazeNconfused with OC candidates and I love three in there....love them.  Tomorrow Coach Boles is throwing his OC ideas our way to let us chew further on it.  My FishDuck Friends, we are lucky to have the volunteer writers who put in such amazing time, and share their skills. I am always grateful.

And that is based on learning the hard way, and now being thankful.

Oregon Poster_Fox Sports Video (2).jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I wonder how many of us would have jumped at the opportunity to more than triple our income, with who knows how much of it guaranteed?

IMHO I think it is more like “strike while the iron is hot!”

• Thumbs Up 5

On 11/28/2022 at 5:41 PM, PittDuck said:

I wonder how many of us would have jumped at the opportunity to more than triple our income, with who knows how much of it guaranteed?

IMHO I think it is more like “strike while the iron is hot!”

Exactly. Life changing money in your home town. How often does that come?

He had to take it. It may not be the ideal time... and I think he knows that. But, you have to look out for your (and your family's) future. 

I'm happy and grateful for him.

Edited by DUCati855
  • Thumbs Up 2

I do wonder how much of the offensive aggression was Diy and how much was Lanning. I know Lanning wants to be on the aggressive side of things but how aggressive is he really? 

Yes... The final decision is Lanning's but he also wasn't calling the plays. 

Lots of lessons to be learned from this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In retrospect, pre-mature or not, Dillingham's jump to ASU makes it three-in-a-row:  Taggert to his "dream-job at FSU, Mario to his at Miami and now Dillingham to perhaps his, (at least his alma mater and home state)  ASU.  

There must be a college out there somewhere, where a brilliant and talented Offensive mind  is coaching in some small, out-of-the-way, poducnk college whom a move to Oregon would be a move waaaaaaay up the football ladder.  So far that they'd never want to go back to that little college again.  Like Chip Kelly who came from New Hampshire, (his alma mater) to Oregon. 

It took the NFL team Philadelphia Eagles to lure him away.  And at least we had him for more than one year (5 years, to be exact).  Get out the check book Oregon and find us another football genius out in the back 40 somewhere and buy him!

On 11/28/2022 at 5:52 PM, Mic said:

In retrospect, pre-mature or not, Dillingham's jump to ASU makes it three-in-a-row:  Taggert to his "dream-job at FSU, Mario to his at Miami and now Dillingham to perhaps his, (at least his alma mater and home state)  ASU.  

There must be a college out there somewhere, where a brilliant and talented Offensive mind  is coaching in some small, out-of-the-way, poducnk college whom a move to Oregon would be a move waaaaaaay up the football ladder.  So far that they'd never want to go back to that little college again.  Like Chip Kelly who came from New Hampshire, (his alma mater) to Oregon. 

It took the NFL team Philadelphia Eagles to lure him away.  And at least we had him for more than one year (5 years, to be exact).  Get out the check book Oregon and find us another football genius out in the back 40 somewhere and buy him!

I would put it at 2 in a row coaches leaving and OC's leaving for head coaching jobs. The first OC and coach have lost their dream jobs, Taggart and Arroyo. The second two MariØ and Dilly are still to be determined. The trend isn't their friend though.

Many programs look for the coach to be their savior, or they are fired. Oregon looks at coaches as able to be successful, and then how can they help them be successful. Most coaches don't seem to understand that difference, but they learn.

Dilly got to coach the most talented team in the Pac with the best offensive line in the country. Pretty much every position coach was top notch and every position group seemed to all play as well as any other UO offense in recent memory. He was coaching for a team with the best fan support in the Pac, the largest TV audience in the Pac and a school of interest for many of the best recruits in the nation. And that will continue into the future.

All of these things working together made his offense a true thing of beauty but at ASU, he won't have any of that. With looming sanctions, I don't see any way things get better before they get worse there no matter who is coaching. Seems like a disastrous decision to me.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

“Life changing money” is true as far as it goes but a long successful career is also important. Going to a dream job and being fired in a few years in a disaster can harm a career. Unless he is okay with retirement at 35… I think he would have been well served to wait a bit. 

Other schools seem to be mesmerized by what Oregon has. They come after Ducks coaches only to find out that what Oregon has Is Oregon.

Oregon is bigger than any of these guys. How long will it take for them to figure that out. The list of those that learned the hard way is getting long: Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, Willie Tagart, Mariø, plus a few more.

I hope KD turns around ASU and we get to play them for conference titles. But I also think he jumped the gun and will get beat up a bit. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:41 PM, PittDuck said:

The sage, savvy coach knows when he has more experience to acquire, and considering how ASU has been a coaches graveyard...he knows he can catch the Sun Devils at the next coaching change!

It isn't going to end...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

There was an interesting article in The Athletic yesterday about Dilly taking the ASU job, how he was raised in the area loving The Sun Devils, and the family and all of the connections he has there because it really and truly is his home. I get it because Oregon is my home, and I grew up here loving my Ducks.The money will be nice, but this truly is the job the means the world to him. Maybe it would have come back around, but who knows.

I really enjoyed watching Oregon’s offense this year for the first time in many years thanks, in no small part, to Dilly. Although I was really looking forward to how things would have evolved with him working his magic with Oregon’s offense, I wish him nothing but the best.

Edited by latracey
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is not throwing shade on him, but my own personal observation. In my view, he is not ready.  He thinks he is, just as he thought he could make a number of 4th downs starting in the Cal game.  Yet I feel that at times his game-plans and play-calling were brilliant--I really do.  I was going to do an analysis series on them in the off-season...so much for that!

But in the end at the crunch moments--his youthful inexperience as an OC almost lost a game or two, and actually did lose two for us.  This is why they call it risk, and thus why I truly believe he needed more experience, more seasoning.

But then, that would mean it would be at our expense again.  Can we find an OC who has already learned this stuff the hard way?

Fantastic article today by DazeNconfused with OC candidates and I love three in there....love them.  Tomorrow Coach Boles is throwing his OC ideas our way to let us chew further on it.  My FishDuck Friends, we are lucky to have the volunteer writers who put in such amazing time, and share their skills. I am always grateful.

Of course he thinks he can pull of the ASU job. Just like 4th and 2 from your own 29 is a no brainer for Lanning

On 11/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, David Marsh said:

Lots of lessons to be learned from this year. 

and lots of questions

The only coach to leave after one season.

Even MariØ stayed through the first Miami head coach hiring. The money was pretty sweet for waiting a couple years.

15973bfa-400a-4a56-bbee-b8eef45ee4fa-AP18258718373673.jpg.webp

On 11/28/2022 at 6:01 PM, Haywarduck said:

I would put it at 2 in a row coaches leaving and OC's leaving for head coaching jobs. The first OC and coach have lost their dream jobs, Taggart and Arroyo. The second two MariØ and Dilly are still to be determined. The trend isn't their friend though.

Many programs look for the coach to be their savior, or they are fired. Oregon looks at coaches as able to be successful, and then how can they help them be successful. Most coaches don't seem to understand that difference, but they learn.

To be fair Arroyo leaving was like the feeling you get after an impacted wisdom tooth is pulled and has healed. I was a happy Duck

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2022 at 6:01 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Dilly got to coach the most talented team in the Pac with the best offensive line in the country. Pretty much every position coach was top notch and every position group seemed to all play as well as any other UO offense in recent memory. He was coaching for a team with the best fan support in the Pac, the largest TV audience in the Pac and a school of interest for many of the best recruits in the nation. And that will continue into the future.

All of these things working together made his offense a true thing of beauty but at ASU, he won't have any of that. With looming sanctions, I don't see any way things get better before they get worse there no matter who is coaching. Seems like a disastrous decision to me.

Some good points. And a QB who put it all together

On 11/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, Log Haulin said:

Other schools seem to be mesmerized by what Oregon has. They come after Ducks coaches only to find out that what Oregon has Is Oregon.

Oregon is bigger than any of these guys. How long will it take for them to figure that out. The list of those that learned the hard way is getting long: Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, Willie Tagart, Mariø, plus a few more.

I hope KD turns around ASU and we get to play them for conference titles. But I also think he jumped the gun and will get beat up a bit. 

haha.. we aren't agreeing on the other thread.. but this post is solid.. great take!!

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 6:43 PM, DazeNconfused said:

To be fair Arroyo leaving was like the feeling you get after an impacted wisdom tooth is pulled and has healed. I was a happy Duck

I think we all were... as we blamed Arroyo for the lack of offense. Then we got offensive guru Moorhead and ... still not much more offense. 

On 11/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, David Marsh said:

I think we all were... as we blamed Arroyo for the lack of offense. Then we got offensive guru Moorhead and ... still not much more offense. 

Poor Joe didn't know he was going to Mario's no offense prison to be shackled. lol

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, David Marsh said:

That brings up an interesting thought. What if Moorhead was brought back now and given full reins over the offense?

This is a tremendous statement! 

What coach after leaving Oregon has found success elsewhere??  Chip struggled in the NFL and at UCLA until this year.  Frost, Taggert, and Arroyo have all been fired.  Moorhead is 2-9 with Akron.

It is a positive indication of how Oregon is perceived when other programs want your coaches.  Programs don't run after junk to be their HC (I'll understand any WT or MC comments).  But as Log Haulin said "Oregon has Oregon" and that doesn't always translate to success elsewhere.

Saban has to turn over OC's/DC's like a grilled cheese on high heat. Some of them leave to be successful elsewhere, some don't do so well. 

On 11/28/2022 at 6:11 PM, lownslowav8r said:

“Life changing money” is true as far as it goes but a long successful career is also important. Going to a dream job and being fired in a few years in a disaster can harm a career. Unless he is okay with retirement at 35… I think he would have been well served to wait a bit. 

I was once offered one of those "life changing money" opportunities. There were some issues, one of which was that it involved a big increase in physical risk, in an industry known for risk, but... The real deal breaker was LOCATION.

I would have needed to move my, at the time, very young family away from everyone and everything they knew and loved, to, er................

OKLAHOMA.

Could. Not. Do. It.

My grandfather got to Oregon by driving a herd of cattle for Stillwater, to Bozeman, Montana.

From Bozeman, he drove a herd of horses to a little town in the Willamette Valley, named Sweethome.

He said that after seeing what Oregon offered, he couldn't go back, and he never did.

That's my choice. 

Maybe that is what has Lanning sitting here, today.

It's not for everyone, but maybe his hot list has somebody special on it!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some Truth From An Old Nursery Rhyme

Lavender’s blue, dilly dilly, lavender’s green,
When I am king, dilly dilly, you shall be queen:

Who told you so, dilly dilly, who told you so?
Twas mine own heart, dilly dilly, that told me so...

Dillingham went home, and he didn't go there for the money. 

How many of us would turn down our life-long dream job if it came along... be it at age 22, 32, 42, or 52. The dream job rarely comes calling, and it almost never comes calling twice. 

I wish KD all the success in the world. For a lot of reasons, I give him about a 15-20% chance of succeeding at ASU. It is a very difficult market for CFB to succeed in, and that's not even taking into consideration all of the dramatic changes taking place in CFB.

But if anyone can do it, he might just be the guy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 7:01 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I don't see any way things get better before they get worse there no matter who is coaching. Seems like a disastrous decision to me.

As far as wins go, I can almost guarantee you that none of the ASU boosters and alumni are expecting things to get much better anytime soon. The ASU cupboard is essentially completely bare. 

KD probably has two seasons before they are expecting a significant change in wins. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 11/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Fans seem to have no idea if it was the OC or head coach making the 4th down calls. Does anyone? Did Lanning blow it or the OC?

On 11/29/2022 at 7:35 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

Did Lanning blow it or the OC?

Yes.

Ready, or not, Dillingham has left the building.

He will find it tough sledding in Tempe for a number of reasons. His long term success depends on whether he can recruit solid assistants and players, then manage both effectively. 

ASU has seven 3* commits. Zero OL, Or DL commits…just weeks before the early signing. The transfer portal is the only thing that could save him.

Good Luck 

There's really not much downside for KD.  He gets his dream job, triples his pay and because of looming sanctions and past patience with coaches at ASU he probably gets a bit of latitude for a couple of years.

If he fails, he'll most likely still be in high demand as an OC, then he could go the rehab route and probably get another HC shot down the road.

In this scenario it could be similar to the Kiffin to USC move (his dream job).  Didn't work out, but he worked his way back into HC spot and now in high demand.  Same with Sarkisian to a certain extent.

And of course there's a real possibility he'll succeed at ASU.  He's not Arroyo or Taggart or MC.  Will it be harder to succeed at ASU as compared to Oregon? Absolutely, but certainly possible nonetheless and he's betting on himself, who could blame him for that?

You can't just assume that if you pass on your dream job now you'll get another shot at it.  It's a cliche, but strike while the iron is hot and right now he's one of the hottest young stars.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dilly has absolutely nothing to lose. If he succeeds, then end of story. If not, he'll be labeled as not being experienced enough and then will go back to being an OC for a high-end program. Then, after a few more years and seasoning, he'll get another HC  job offer.  Go for it, Dilly!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/29/2022 at 11:08 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Dilly has absolutely nothing to lose. If he succeeds, then end of story. If not, he'll be labeled as not being experienced enough and then will go back to being an OC for a high-end program. Then, after a few more years and seasoning, he'll get another HC  job offer.  Go for it, Dilly!!!!

You're right, of course.  And when/if he returns to his role as an O.C. it will be for more $ than he was earning at Oregon.  Plus, there's always the chance he gets a gig at the next level as an O.C. if he manages to produce some good NFL prospects who get drafted.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2022 at 11:08 AM, Darren Perkins said:

I think Dilly has a lot to lose. If he had stayed and UO was in the playoff hunt the next few years, he could have walked right into a UO level type job like Lanning did. Now, to me it looks like his career path is going to be 3-4 years at a dumpster fire, 2-3 years back as OC somewhere then 2-3 years at another dumpster. If he manages to put that fire out then 2-3 years at a WSUish low expectation school. Then if he exceeds expectations there he may find a UO type job.

I'd rather have stayed at UO a couple more years, really build up my buzz and fast track my career.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:17 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think Dilly has a lot to lose. If he had stayed and UO was in the playoff hunt the next few years, he could have walked right into a UO level type job like Lanning did. Now, to me it looks like his career path is going to be 3-4 years at a dumpster fire, 2-3 years back as OC somewhere then 2-3 years at another dumpster. If he manages to put that fire out then 2-3 years at a WSUish low expectation school. Then if he exceeds expectations there he may find a UO type job.

I'd rather have stayed at UO a couple more years, really build up my buzz and fast track my career.

When did I become the beacon of optimism around here? Lol.

I don't see at it as a dumpster fire at all, I also don't necessarily see as a "sleeping giant" as some label it. But, you can be successful there. Arizona has a lot of quality in state talent, if he can keep a higher percentage of those kids at home, then they will be just fine. Kids just haven't had a reason to stay in-state, now they do. And with the transfer portal, watch out! Heck, I think Thorton might head there to be a No. 1 receiver. 

Wasn't OSU a dumpster fire 5 years ago? Well, if you're the right guy, things turn out pretty good. Have faith, peeps!

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, noDucknewby said:

looming sanctions and past patience with coaches at ASU he probably gets a bit of latitude for a couple of years.

Not as much as he would have in the past... it seems there is really no patience for anything other than a fast turnaround. 

He is going to have to post a record of improvement. 

I would say there are only a few examples of patient ADs these days. Utah and Oregon State being two of them that have shown they can give their HCs time to actually produce results before giving them the ax. 

I would say Arroyo was given a bad deal at UNLV, he had that program improving and becoming respectable but he still needed a couple more years to do it. I really doubt they are going to do much better with a new hire. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:30 AM, David Marsh said:

I would say Arroyo was given a bad deal at UNLV, he had that program improving and becoming respectable but he still needed a couple more years to do it. I really doubt they are going to do much better with a new hire. 

UNLV probably hopes to fast track football success to get that Pac 12 invite.

I Dont care about what happens at ASU, Im scared that the Ducks will take a whole bunch of steps back next year without Dilly.

Hopefully is goodbye to some of the dumbest play calling I can remember in critical situations. Offense will be fine next year. Defense is the main problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This feels like the classic Las Vegas wedding. Dilly's going to wake up the next morning in a dumpster fire. ASU's going to wake up next to a 32 year old guy that called a few nice games for a year without any other meaningful credentials or experience. Soon, they'll both be looking over that contract with a huge hangover and bloodshot eyes.

I am more shocked that ASU made the decision to hire Dillingham as their head coach.  

From my understanding, Dillingham only has one year calling plays as OC. Yes, overall, he did a good job this year. However, how much of this year’s offensive success was due to Bo Nix? Can Dillingham develop QBs and how efficient would the offense be without a Heisman caliber QB?

Just like Lanning, I believe that Dillingham needs to learn when to gamble. For example, the WR reverse against Utah when you have a lead, are dominating the game, backed up near your goal line and have brought in the backup QB for his first snap of the game was head scratching. 

Other times his play calling was too predictable (usually in the red zone).  I still am having nightmares about the QB sneak where Nix got injured against UW or the 3 straight runs up the middle inside the 5 against OSU. 

Overall, Dillingam did a fine job this year. Oregon’s offense was fun again. I’m just not sure how much of the success was due to Nix and what the offense would look in a couple of years from now. I certainly can’t blame Dillingham for taking the ASU job and would  like to believe that it was one of the few HC jobs that would have pried him away from Oregon. Just question ASU’s decision. Guess we’ll find out. 

• Applause 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, OregonDucks said:

Overall, Dillingam did a fine job this year. Oregon’s offense was fun again. I’m just not sure how much of the success was due to Nix and what the offense would look in a couple of years from now. I certainly can’t blame Dillingham for taking the ASU job and would  like to believe that it was one of the few HC jobs that would have pried him away from Oregon.  

I think so too.  If mistakes were made (from our perspective) then they were probably due to youth and inexperience.  That will improve for both Dillingham and Lanning as they mature.  Another reason why I wish Kenny had become a HC with a team in another conference.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:30 AM, David Marsh said:

He is going to have to post a record of improvement. 

That goes without saying, but 3-9 is a pretty low bar don't you think?

With Dilly's recruiting prowess and the transfer portal I think he does okay. Even if sanctions are in the cards being able to get experienced players immediately should help him fast track the program. Big question will he be able to handle being an HC? 

Does he flop at it or like Lanning just stumble a few times? 

I see the Ducks play ASU next year. That should be fun.

LH, This subject is worthy of it's own topic.

Taggart goes 7-5 in his first P5 coaching gig and FSU just HAS to have him no matter what the buy out is.

Mario eeks out a Rose Bowl win with a future all pro QB, our OC out foxes an tOSU DC in over his skis and Miami just HAS to have him regardless of the buy out.

Dilly does a nice job at calling the first few games of his career and ASU just HAS to have him.

I think what they all want is a piece of the Oregon magic but it does not leave with the coach which they all either found out (FSU) are finding out (Miami) and will find out soon enough (ASU).

On 11/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I Dont care about what happens at ASU, Im scared that the Ducks will take a whole bunch of steps back next year without Dilly.

I'm not so scared about a step back with a new OC as much as I'm worried about it with Bo Nix leaving.  He will be hard to replace.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:23 PM, 47sgs said:

I'm not so scared about a step back with a new OC as much as I'm worried about it with Bo Nix leaving.  He will be hard to replace.

And the defense is just plain out bad.

Dillingham gets a raise from 1 mil to 3.8 mil.  Nice to go "home" and get nearly 4 times your salary.

I had coffee with a CEO friend in Scottsdale last week, he is an ASU grad and heavily involved from an alumni perspective.  He informed me that key boosters told him Dillingham was essentially a lock as of the end of October. Already a buzz among the high school coaches the last month and driving more talent to stay in-state.  Makes you wonder what level of distraction this was for Kenny, we all know Mario was checked out last year once the Miami gig was a done deal.  

I would put money on Duce Robinson going to ASU now as well.

I do think the limp #$%@ NCAA should put some level of restriction on coach poaching mid-season.

• Thumbs Up 1

By late October the Ducks were 7-1 and putting up good offensive numbers. Only one of those seven wins came against a current top 25 team (UCLA) and just one against a former top 25 team (BYU). The rest were: Eastern Washington, WSU, Stanford, UA and Cal. Not exactly a murderers row of defenses.

An eight game sample size against mediocre defenses was enough to hand the keys to the flaming dumpster to a 32 year old unproven head coach. Sounds about par for the course for ASU.

On 11/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, SoutheastDuck said:

He informed me that key boosters told him Dillingham was essentially a lock as of the end of October.

Yes, KD was at the top of their list for over a month. It wasn't exactly the best kept secret down here. 

And definitely no surprise that he said yes when the offer came.