Duckman1

Dont'e Thornton Leaving the Ducks, Going to the Portal

image.png.bc788157ebe024b4eb0323c620aa1262.png

• Oh no! 1

This one hurts... 

Thornton was going to be a big time receiver next year. He was breaking out pretty big the past few games so losing him is going to hurt. 

I guess that makes it all the more important to make sure we hold onto verbal commits in the 23 class right now. 

Well, that is a bummer.  I liked that kid's abilities.  He didn't have as many catches as Franklin, Huston, or Cota but his average was awesome, 21.5 yards per catch.

Speculating of course, but a Dilly casualty?

Well, that's one I wouldn't have predicted. But, I think this is what off-seasons will look like, for players, for coaches - who knows what else - as we enter the brave new world of college football. Change will be the constant, more than ever before.

2 hc's, 2 oc's and a third on his way. Can't really blame the guy. Oregon is loaded in the receiver room with some dudes coming in. 

Good luck young man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ducks WR Dont'e Thornton announces intentions to enter transfer portal

While Oregon wide receiver Dont'e Thornton can't formally enter the portal until next week, he made his intentions clear Monday night.

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

Oregon WR Dont'e Thornton announces his intentions to enter the transfer portal.

Oregon receiver Dont'e Thornton enters transfer portal

Once a player’s name shows up in the portal, other schools can contact the player.

Players can change their minds at any point and withdraw from the portal.

However, once a player enters the portal, the current scholarship no longer has to be honored. In other words,

if a player enters the portal but decides to stay, the school is not obligated to provide a scholarship anymore.

This article give more background info on entering the portal itself...

WWW.ON3.COM

Oregon sophomore receiver Dont’e Thornton has entered the transfer portal, he announced on Twitter Monday evening.

May be more changes, but WR room at the moment...

Won't be surprised to see Delgado, Crocker and Brevard hit the portal as well. I expect the new norm is guys buried on the depth chart to move.

Ducks will go to the portal and grab guys to replace. 

• Applause 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:10 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Won't be surprised to see Delgado, Crocker and Brevard hit the portal as well. I expect the new norm is guys buried on the depth chart to move.

Ducks will go to the portal and grab guys to replace. 

This tweet relates to what you're saying...Not like the good old days

I actually see the logic. If I was a kid that wasn't a superstar, guaranteed NFL bound, then my chances of cashing in on football are limited. You take every single year you can get paid. You only get 4 of them so you better get yours. Its over when your 22. Might as well get your car and a nice down payment on your house, maybe even a paid for house upon graduation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cardwell is gone per his parents on Twitter.

I'm not going to knock anyone who feels they're doing what's best for them. It's their life to live not ours. I don't see this being the last. I believe there is going to be change going into Year 2 as coach is going to bring in players to fit his vision. This is completely normal.  We can all come up with a list of who probably won't stick around but I would just encourage fellow Duck fans to relax and let the process play out. The program will be just fine.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him land at USC with a nice hefty bank account.

What ever happened to Caleb Chapman? He’s a senior, but he got injured at one point. Was that the reason he only played in two games or was he just not good enough? Seems like he is eligible for a medical waiver if he was injured the whole season.

Uncertainty creates chaos, I hope Lanning can create clarity on the OC side soon. Maybe Thornton didn't like the feedback on the work he needed to become great? His hands need some work, but the ceiling on the guy is yet to be seen.

He will get plenty of interest as just about every school wanted him, and you don't see his speed and height combo too often. I imagine Lanning is working hard to tighten up the players, and get somebody onboard soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the newer world of CFB, this is just to be expected. 

NFL-Lite

Not that I'm great at prognostication, but I actually expected this one.  Guy was a tremendously high recruit but didn't produce that way and wasn't the top WR in the room.  Multiple coaches while at Oregon and now his OC is leaving and probably his QB.  

I particularly expect three kinds of players to transfer out from any school:

1. Top recruits who don't pan out quite as expected - either they'll blame the coaches/team/scheme for holding them back, or maybe they're actually being held back or not the right fit in some way
  2. Guys buried on the depth chart who want a chance at more playing time
  3. Big-time producers at small or moderate programs (e.g. WSU, Rutgers, Illinois) who feel they can accomplish more (and probably earn more) elsewhere

He certainly won't be the last Duck we lose to the portal this year or any year.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah ... the 'ol dreaded Transfer Portal.  Well, with coaches breaking contracts and leaving after only 12 games why not players too?  Or maybe this is a chicken & egg thing - which came first, the coaches bolting or the players?  I'm sure someone's done the research but it matters little.  Noting is solid and permanent in this slowly evolving mess of the CFB world.  Makes me wonder how much longer or in what form the present system will settle, if ever?

I'm sad because I'm witnessing what appears to be the unraveling of my favorite sport; the last one I still have a enough interest in to attend in-person events. Except whenever O plays in Reser. 

• Thumbs Up 3

In the event readers here may think I am dumping on the Ducks, rest assured I am not.  I may be disappointed with the way some things turn out, like the game last Saturday, but I am, and always will be, a loyal Duck fan.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

We knew this kind of thing would happen and are going to see more of it. The Ducks have to make room for the new guys that fit DL’s plan for success.

I’ve always thought that we have too much skill position talent and not enough horses. We see in the NFL that many of the wide receivers think they are better than they are and there are only so many passes that will be thrown. I trust DL will get the correct mix of players to improve on what he has in a very short time.

That being said I hope he fulfills his dream. You only get a short period of time in college to make that happen.

Good luck young man.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to see him leave.  This one hurts.  However, he gave O some fine moments and I wish him well wherever he winds up.  Hopefully, (like I've said with others before him) not to another Pac-12 team.

On 11/29/2022 at 5:41 AM, 12Duck72 said:

I would just encourage fellow Duck fans to relax and let the process play out. The program will be just fine.

I'm in this camp. Remember where Oregon was a year ago. The sky was seemingly falling. HC heading to Miami along with heaven knows how many high star recruits (and his slo-mo offensive philosophy). No Verdell, Dye, Pittman or viable QB returning. Embarrassing losses to Utah x 2, then to similarly discombobulated Oklahoma. 

Somehow the Ducks found a new young head coach with fresh ideas and recruiting prowess. Salvaged an at risk recruiting class. Brought in via the portal an experienced QB to lead the offense, along with some difference makers on offense (Irving, Whittington and Cota) and defense (Gonzo and Rogers). Managed to be 7 points away from an 11-1 record. 

Not saying it will be all sunshine and unicorns. There will likely be more portal losses beyond Thornton (Cardwell and TyT are at the top of the list). Losing Dilly may bleed a recruit or two, but likely not any 5☆s.

I believe Oregon is a place that a good OC will want to come to, and DL and staff will find that guy. The framework is in place to succeed in the off-season and be competitive in 2023. All in all, the Ducks are in much better shape than 12 months ago.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Look: USC Football Could Be Adding A Huge Transfer

Thornton to USC?

WWW.MSN.COM

Lincoln Riley and the USC Trojans could be welcoming a massive transfer addition this coming season. Earlier this week, Oregon...

It’s a bummer that Thornton is entering the transfer portal but not shocking.

His physical traits are off the charts but there are things that he needs to work on to be more productive. As others have mentioned, Oregon is stacked at the wide receiver position with Franklin, Hutson and the other young wide receivers coming in. Oregon will be fine. 

I wish him the best, unless he transfers to USC.

LOL. Anyone find it a bit ironic that USC is depending on Oregon transfers to build their roster? How times change...

There were many allegations of meddling when Jordan Addison transferred to U$C.  Wonder if something similar is happening here.

I believe there is some upside to Thornton, just like there was for Devon Williams a once Highly Touted Recruit.  He became one of the main Targets for Anthony Brown, last year.  Went undrafted in the 2022 NFL Draft.  Thornton, has to find his fit, showcase his talents and make a case for the NFL.  Good Luck to the Young man.  Sometimes your fresh start blossoms other times you are one of many with time running out.

Position Outlook: How future of Oregon's WR room looks after recent transfers, recruiting news

We want to look closely at the wide receiver room. With news that Dont’e Thornton intends to transfer, plus the loss of

Seven McGee from weeks ago, it’s clear that this position will look different next year than it did this last season.

Let’s take a closer look.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at how Oregon’s WR room stacks up in the coming years after recent transfers, recruiting news.