Tandaian

Rose Bowl Leftout of the CFP--Update: Finally Signed With CFB Playoff

Rose Bowl thinks more highly of itself than the rest of the college football world.  I wonder how much of the Pac 12 decision making process has rubbed off on the Rose Bowl board of directors?  Nobody cares about the rose parade before the game, except the Rose Bowl and some people in Los Angeles.  To be so concerned about the game time is silly.  They are going to be left out and then what?  The B1G TEN isn't going to want to continue playing the game if it isn't a NY6 game.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The Rose Bowl faces possible exclusion from the expanded College Football Playoff if the bowl can't agree to terms before a Wednesday deadline, sources told ESPN's Heather Dinich.

Maybe they should have Larry Scott lead the parade. The grand daddy of them all has not aged very well.

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:39 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Maybe they should have Larry Scott lead the parade. The grand daddy of them all has not aged very well.

Too funny, but sad at the same time.

The times they are a changin'

Remember how hard the BCS lobbied to get access to the Rose Bowl?

Seems they doth protest too much!

The Playoffs have changed everything and the more teams in the playoffs the less the bowls will matter-- Welcome to what we all wanted.

As much as I like the Rose Bowl Game, the stadium is terrible. The college football playoffs should use SoFi Stadium, if they want to host the game in LA. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Whoooo Nellie.

• Haha 1

If they are too picky they'll end up with Holiday bowl type of revenue.  It'll be the game for the 4th place team from the Pac vs. the 5th place B1G team.  It'll be like a sUCLA home game, 12k people in the stands.  Cleanup and security costs should be low...that'll bump the rose bowl profits back up...

Despite all the problems offered by an old, decrepit stadium, the Rose Bowl, in my own opinion, should be in the CFP Playoff system and NY6 bowl games.  It's the "grand-daddy" of them all as the old announcer used to say, because ... it is.  It's also linked to one of the nation's largest and most lucrative markets, the West Coast, particularly Southern California.  But a new stadium would be nice.  No, a must, I think.

Fix the stadium issues, get the details ironed out and make it happen or watch the nation's oldest Bowl game disappear into oblivion.  That'd be sad for football, imo.  Keith Jackson, R.I.P.

Nothing lasts forever; at least that’s worthwhile. 

I’m admittedly old school, so I value the Rose Bowl just because it’s not like the new stadiums that cater to new habits of convenience, and try to replicate your temperature controlled indoor living room with 80” screen, cushy chair and frig just down the hall. 

For that matter, I like any decrepit outdoor stadium just because they’re trying to sell only one thing: football.

Marcus Mariota Touchdown GIF by Pac-12 Network

Who could forget this game, the Year of the First Oregon Heisman Winner and last NCP appearance in 2015.  Rose Bowl Champs in 1917, 2012, 2015 and 2020.  More than just a game, it's history has shown it is "The Granddaddy of Them ALL".

Loved the beating Oregon gave FSU, Jimbo Fisher and Jameis Winston.  One of the BEST Oregon games where the Offense and Defense gave over 100%.  So many players making plays, not relying on one person to carry the team.  So humiliated FSU, many of the players left the field rather than face Oregon players after the game.  One of The BEST Oregon Uniforms worn in any game in my opinion.

• Applause 1

I have to say, that while I like the Rose Bowl tradition, I do not like the stadium itself. The steps, at least where I've sat, are worn, uneven, bordering on dangerous, and the bathrooms and concession stands are old and inconveniently located. Not sure what exactly what sort of status the Rose Bowl game will have in the future with the RB being left out of the CFP.

I am not getting any younger and applaud the coming of a 12 team playoff in 2024. I hope that I get a few years of this.

By 2024, Lanning will hopefully bring in two more solid recruiting classes and be building the depth necessary to not only make the field, but also to make a little noise as well. But it will take some time to prevent the rich from becoming richer. Case in point: Given the current CFP rankings, a quarter of the field, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee would be in (four if LSU were to upset Georgia in the SEC Championship game).

My prognosis is that over time, as more teams  have realistic aspirations of at least making the field, that recruiting will become a bit less concentrated on the blue bloods as more  talented kid see that they can be relevant attending the solid programs out there (e.g., an Oregon or Wisconsin) who will get to the dance more frequently than is possible now. And the major bowls will still be relevant as part of the playoff tournament.

Rose Bowl clears way for 12-team College Football Playoff in 2024

Rose Bowl game organizers cleared the way for the College Football Playoff to expand to 12 teams starting in the 2024 season,

informing CFP officials Wednesday they are willing to alter agreements to accommodate a new format to decide the national champion.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Rose Bowl game organizers have told CFP officials they are willing to alter agreements for the first two years of the larger playoff.