Flybywire

An Unpopular Opinion

After spending all season heading full steam ahead towards the CFP or Rose Bow, Oregon is now relegated to the worthless Toilet Bowl in San Diego probably and I couldn't care less what happens in that game. Won't even watch. That's how much of a dissapointment this season has been.

Losing to both your rivals in the manner they did will do that. You can blame me being spoiled or unappreciative of the struggles the program went through in the 80's but I wasn't alive then so that really means nothing to me. The standard is the standard. You either uphold the standard or fail. They failed. 

• Thanks 1

I was around in the 80's, but I refuse to waddle around in that mess. This team had the right stuff to make the playoffs, and they failed spectacularly. Then they had the right stuff to make the conference championship game and they failed miserably. I will watch the Holiday Bowl, unless a Yellowstone that I haven't seen is on. #tiredoflosingthebigones #tiredofcoacheswhobolt

On 11/29/2022 at 11:06 PM, Flybywire said:

Won't even watch

Then don’t.  No sweat!

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

While I do remember the 80s, and even the 70s with this team, I don't compare the current situation to that one.  I compare the current situation to reasonable expectations and recent history.  The Ducks have gone through a variety of failed coaches and finally hired an extremely young, first time HC, who then hired a variety of fairly young assistants.  They were absolutely going to make some mistakes (and did).  The players were going to struggle some adjusting to new terminology and a new system (and did).  

Before the season, most people (fans and experts) were projecting 2 - 5 losses and some serious growing pains.  The team lost 3 games, including two which were very close, with a gimpy QB.

Disappointed?  Absolutely.  Particularly since wins against BYU, WSU, and others had many of us thinking that the CFP were a distinct possibility - or at least the Rose Bowl.

But compare this season with last season, when we lost against a Stanford team we should have destroyed, played boring football, kept it close against mediocre competition, and finally got pummeled twice by Utah.  Not only is this season an improvement over last season, but I believe it is putting us on the right track for the future.  Assuming recruiting stays strong, Lanning learns from some mistakes, and we get a good new OC, Oregon will remain in competition for major bowl games and the playoffs.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:03 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

While I do remember the 80s, and even the 70s with this team, I don't compare the current situation to that one.  I compare the current situation to reasonable expectations and recent history.  The Ducks have gone through a variety of failed coaches and finally hired an extremely young, first time HC, who then hired a variety of fairly young assistants.  They were absolutely going to make some mistakes (and did).  The players were going to struggle some adjusting to new terminology and a new system (and did).  

Before the season, most people (fans and experts) were projecting 2 - 5 losses and some serious growing pains.  The team lost 3 games, including two which were very close, with a gimpy QB.

Disappointed?  Absolutely.  Particularly since wins against BYU, WSU, and others had many of us thinking that the CFP were a distinct possibility - or at least the Rose Bowl.

But compare this season with last season, when we lost against a Stanford team we should have destroyed, played boring football, kept it close against mediocre competition, and finally got pummeled twice by Utah.  Not only is this season an improvement over last season, but I believe it is putting us on the right track for the future.  Assuming recruiting stays strong, Lanning learns from some mistakes, and we get a good new OC, Oregon will remain in competition for major bowl games and the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more. Great post. I get people are disappointed with the tough losses but compared to this time last year it has been a big improvement. To me at least being a Duck means you take the good with bad and look toward the future. What makes getting to the mountaintop so sweet is having to go through the valley. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

They failed miserably? People won't watch?

Oregon lost by a total of 7 points. UW game was a game we should have won and played very well by a team putting together a new scheme by a new HC. We had a cheap shot delivered on our QB and that clearly affected the outcome. But, we still lost. I would say the Beavs game was more of a travesty. OSU was one dimensional and we couldn't stop them. We made a couple of poor coaching decisions and that clearly lost the game.

This team, after so much turnover, was in the hunt for the Natty in November. In the hunt for the Rose Bowl in the very last game if the season. We lost by less than a TD. We root for our team to win it all, but we shouldn't forget that they play their hearts out. So do other teams. We can finish with a 10 win season. 

Is that a failure? Apparently, some aren't willing to watch and find out.

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

Nearly every blue blood team has gone though stretches of irrelevance and upheaval. Nebraska, Oklahoma and Miami (😎) are all in the dumps now but likely won’t be forever (well, except maybe Miami)

Current powerhouses like Alabama, Michigan and Georgia had low points. Their coaches had rebuilding years and rarely hit the jackpot in year one. Saban, Dabo, Harbaugh and Smart are no exceptions (I pray the football gods treat Riley and U$C the same).

We Oregon fans have high expectations that started with the success of the Uncle Phil and Chip eras. All well and good as the groundwork is set, but there needs to be coaching stability and experience to sustain it. Lanning in year one is not there yet, but I for one believe that he will get smarter as he goes. He showed that this year with game to game improvements and not letting the Georgia debacle destroy the season.

It doesn't take much to turn success to failure. It's usually just one dinged up QB away. This has been Oregon's Achilles heel all too often, as it again was this year. Add to that a couple of rookie coaching missteps and you have a 9-3 record.

So in spite of the way the regular season ended, I will watch whatever 2nd tier bowl game OBD play in. As a 35+ year Duck fan I figure I can ride both highs and lows. I will trust the process and anticipate most of the previous mistakes will be corrected. And until there is undisputable proof to the contrary, I will give Lanning the benefit of the doubt that he will ultimately flip failure to success.

• Go Ducks! 4
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

There are two main ways programs stumble, one is definitely a qb injury, or lack of qb depth. The other is not trusting the process a new coach goes through in building a winning program. 

I don't think we are at a point where the fanbase doesn't have the patience to allow a coach to build a foundation, and then the structure needed to support long term success. I do know many programs just expect success, and if it doesn't come it is on to the next coach. 

Oregon has been successful because we support coaches through this difficult periods, even when we lose to rivals. I know there will always be disappointment, my dog ran out of the room as Bo tried to get the yardage needed on 4th down, and I am guilty as any. I do know, in the end, I will always support my Ducks win or lose. 

That is why we stumble, but never stay down.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 3

After spending all season heading full steam ahead towards the CFP or Rose Bow, Oregon is now relegated to the worthless Toilet Bowl in San Diego probably and I couldn't care less what happens in that game. Won't even watch. That's how much of a dissapointment this season has been.

Losing to both your rivals in the manner they did will do that. You can blame me being spoiled or unappreciative of the struggles the program went through in the 80's but I wasn't alive then so that really means nothing to me. The standard is the standard. You either uphold the standard or fail. They failed. 

I'm not sure your opinion is unpopular.  Could be that the majority just aren't as brave as you. 

As Lanning says..."That being said", I still feel much better about how the offense was run from an innovative perspective. 

Game one showed everyone the Ducks defense was not CFP ready in the least.

My opinion is many of us fans were seduced into thinking the Ducks deserved CFP consideration after BYU, the WSU comeback, and the UCLA domination.

I don't think very many expected the defensive play to level out and then digress later when it mattered most.

The Nix injury was a huge impact and the questionable calls at key/critical moments created a disastrous trifecta (defense, injury, play calling).

I'm going to watch the Ducks play in the "been there" bowl.

I'm looking for a silver lining for 2023.

In fact, I'd like to see Bo call the plays. I think he's perfectly capable.

Anyway, I'm glad you posted your thoughts. You gave me some things to ruminate on. 🙂

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1

Since the Holiday Bowl is in San Diego, that, to me, makes it a fun, worthwhile bowl.

Edited by Annie
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Given the lack of readiness shown at the backup QB position, I am indeed disappointed the Ducks failed to step up when Bo went down.

I am not remotely close to turning my back on this team.

Bo getting injured was devastating in the short term (As well as the short game 🙄).

The play calling looked distracted (disconnected?), late in the season... That hurt, especially once Bo went down.

I believe DL and associates will take this as a growth/wake up mometn and be better prepared in the future.

Yes, the D needs to improve. The offense is a work in progress, pending the arrival of a new OC.

I've seen enough potential that I'm ready to get on board for the next run.

Are you?

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If my Ducks are playing, I'm watching. We could be 0-11 and I'll still watch that last game. It's fine and even encouraged to have high expectations for the team, and it's fine to be disappointed, frustrated, and even spitefully angry when they don't meet them. But I'm not going to turn my back on a team coached by a man in his first head coaching position that was 7 points away from taking us to an 11 win season, at minimum.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm with Charles. Go do your thing. Most of us will be fans... watching our Ducks.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/30/2022 at 8:05 AM, The Constitutionalist said:

If my Ducks are playing, I'm watching. We could be 0-11 and I'll still watch that last game. It's fine and even encouraged to have high expectations for the team, and it's fine to be disappointed, frustrated, and even spitefully angry when they don't meet them. But I'm not going to turn my back on a team coached by a man in his first head coaching position that was 7 points away from taking us to an 11 win season, at minimum.

Spot on.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since this is the grumpy thread, I'll chime in with a thought. Could all the disastrous razzle dazzle play calling in crucial situations late in the season have been Dilly's attempt to wow ASU into offering him the coaching gig? Consider that with the following situations.

The swing gate at the goal line against UW when straight ahead power football marched them right down the field.

The ridiculous razzle dazzle attempt with TT and Thornton when nursing a lead with methodical first downs had been working against Utah.

All the forth down plays that failed with too much lateral ball movement in the back field. Again straying from simple and effective for cool looking gambles.

If hindsight is 20/20, this theory could explain some of these head scratching decisions that together grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory in attempts to create highlight reel plays instead of simply trying to win games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes to all the great comments and heartfelt feelings expressed on this thread. There is no right or wrong feeling to express. Just individual feelings based from individual expectations.

My expectations were 9-3 and thats were we landed. The season, without Bo and this years stud O line could have easily been 7-5 or 6-6.  That unit overcame a pourous, pitiful defensive unit. 40 plus points per game kept us relevant and in the hunt until the 48th quarter of the season. For me, i just can't turn my back on that......

Then the defense quit. No excuses they quit. Who in the hec can't stop the run especially when you know the other team is going to run?

But that's football. Momentum is difficult to get back when you let it slip away. But the best part is we have a game late in December. The youngsters get 2 more weeks of practice. By then DL will have landed a top 15 recruiting class and a few key transfers in the portal. And hopefully a great OC hire.

To those who dont watch the bowl game, well that's okay. But you deprive yourself of the journey. The best highs(excluding drugs) come after the lowest lows........

Stick around and enjoy the show.....

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Bandwagon fans?

I remember the days when the Ducks would crack the top 25 only to drop out and not be back in after a loss the following week. 

The last 10-15 years have been amazing.

"When expectations are not met, it can lead to feelings of disappointment, frustration, and even anger. In some cases, people might become so attached to their expectations that they are unable to see the reality of a situation."

• Thumbs Up 1

The standard is the standard. You either uphold the standard or fail. They failed.

I would agree in the idea that they failed to meet the standard. 

But I am tempering my current frustrations with the fact that this rosters has a lot of problems attached to it. Many players didn't buy into Lanning's vision and culture (some are entering the transfer portal because of that) and many players have just failed to be developed by the previous staff. We don't have the right balance on personnel and depth on the roster to really run Lanning's defense right now but hopefully we will next year. 

Rookie head coaching mistakes were made, new OC play calling mistakes were made and of course the defense was and still is a complete hot mess despite some good individual talent but defense is about the unit not the player. 

The standard for Oregon football is sky high and we haven't touched that standard of what fans expect since really 2014 when we reached the playoff and played for the National Championship, that's what fans want out of this team. Rose Bowls used to be good enough but those have lost some of their shine due to the playoff and opt outs. It has really become playoff or bust for most fans and we aren't there yet. Maybe in a year or two... but we need growth out of coaches and players alike. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

We've been Duck fans for over 50 years, that is through the good, the bad and the ugly! 

U of O athletes have given us nothing but enjoyment even when we didn't do so well! 

9-3 season, oh my gosh, who would of thought that back in August? 

Also I think that Coach Altman and Coach Graves are going to have their teams playing some very exciting Basketball as the year moves along! 

Always a Duck fan,  Go Ducks!!!

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Applause 2

I like to keep a realistic view of the talent level of these kids. To land on quality D1 team like Oregon these kids are so much more athletic and talented than the high percentage of us commenting on their ability. Are the players or the coaches perfect? No they are not but they are certainly top performers in life and put a lot of effort into their sport which I repect.

The company I worked for had a lunch time basketball league where we played against other companies. We had a few guys that were pretty good high school players but that was about it. One day we hire a tall athletic looking kid and ask him to join our team. He shows up and is flying up and down the court. Couple dunks and some beautiful looking jump shots. I talked to him and asked where he played ball. He said he was a walk-on at the University of Tennessee and truthfully did not see a lot of playing time. It put the disparity of talent in perspective for me if he is that much better than the average Joe and hardly ever saw the court!

• Thumbs Up 2

One of those rare topics that I agree with every post, pro and con because this topic is about our emotions, not "rationality." I’ve been an Oregon fan for a long time, from before they became a football powerhouse. For me the Washington loss was painful but the Oregon State game was excruciating. Not who we lost to but how. I knew we were in trouble when we got up by a nearly insurmountable lead (ESPN win percentage was over 99%) and some Oregon players started yapping at the OSU players thinking the game was over and stopped putting out the effort needed to win in football. 

This game showed Oregon’s continuing weakness of arrogance and entitlement and what happens when that meets toughness, skill,  and perseverance. Kudos to Smith and his team which has taken on his mental toughness and savvy. 

I’m in the "I’m not going to watch category," having seen "us" go from playoffs, to conference championship, to meaningless bowl game. I’ve seen this too often and don’t need to see it again. This is an emotional decision, not a "rational" decision (which largely doesn’t exist, thank goodness, since in human behavior short term "rational" behavior is often the realm of the sociopaths). Enjoy the game, those who wish to watch. I’m going to spend that time getting my continuing education credits for the year, a manifestly rational use of my time 😊

Edited by lownslowav8r

On 11/30/2022 at 5:31 AM, 12Duck72 said:

To me at least being a Duck means you take the good with bad and look toward the future.

Here, here, totally agree.  Been a Duck since '68

We lost to (simplified):

An undefeated national champion

A ewe dub team with an NFL QB, due to our QB being injured.

An OSU team, again mainly due to an injured QB and a dropped punt.

We didn't coug it against a vastly inferior team as in prior years, although it will happen again someday.

I wear my Duck gear a lot probably like a lot of you here on the forum.  However, I also make sure I wear it after a loss to show support for the team I love.

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Let's not forget, Oregon is still playing for a 10-win season, and that's something.  Have we been so spoiled that 10 wins doesn't mean anything anymore? Of course not.  Besides, if the game's in San Diego, maybe we'll get to see Justin on the sidelines with his alma mater and players.  GO DUCKS!

Edited by Mic
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'll be watching and rooting if it's on my tv and work doesn't prevent it. 

This years team was offensively oriented all year. I had hoped the O would be back in Oregon football again and it was big time.

Now hire a great OC, get a bowl win, sign some great recruits and build momentum for next season! Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:39 AM, David Marsh said:

I would agree in the idea that they failed to meet the standard. 

I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with that phrase.

I guess it depends on what is the "standard"?

9 wins, that is a nice standard.  Especially in a coach's first year.

If 9 wins is the standard, then I'll gladly stick around for when we exceed it.

The Pac 12 with 6 teams in the playoff poll, that's not the standard either.  But when it is, a 9-win Holiday Bowl team might be the standard.

Losing to ewe dub at home while being a double digit favorite or blowing a 3 TD lead with 20 minutes of football left, that is surely not the standard.

We all would like to have the 'Bama standard, but I think that is a unicorn of a past non-NIL era.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still ranked #16 and the portal and new OC will make next year much different (every year will be like that now...but a big time QB coming in) and I liked what Canzano said...We finish 9-3 and big boosters are freaking out.  OSU finished 9-3 and they are having a Corvallis-wide holiday and parade to celebrate.  Keep it in perspective.  Lanning will learn and grow, we'll get a top notch OC/QB coach.  Defense will improve.  Let's go destroy who ever we play in the Zips Underwear Irrelevant Bowl, and finish 10-3.  I'll watch.

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/30/2022 at 10:33 AM, Steven A said:

9 wins, that is a nice standard.  Especially in a coach's first year.

Those of us who've followed and cheered for the Ducks since the old Hayward Field days remember when 9 wins was a dream for us to win.  10 games was a goal many of us hoped to see come around at least once or twice in a decade or two.  There is no way this season was a 'bust' under any standard unless that standard is predicated on always beating the Huskies and the Beavers.  Other than that, Oregon had a good season - a great one for a 1st-time head coach and an entirely new staff from top to bottom. 

Edited by Mic
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/30/2022 at 10:44 AM, JDuck said:

Let's go destroy who ever we play in the Zips Underwear Irrelevant Bowl, and finish 10-3.  I'll watch.

So will I.  lol

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's nice to have a favorite team in football where 9 wins is not considered a 'good' accomplishment.    I admit it sucks that Oregon lost to both UW and OSU esp. the way the games went. After that horrendous start in Atlanta, this season was a real surprise.  Perhaps you'll feel differently if Oregon wins their Bowl game and even if you don't watch it, a win for Oregon gives them 10 wins and likely in the Top 15 in the nation at the last rankings.  

Edited by Steven A
some shade
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You can blame me being spoiled or unappreciative of the struggles the program went through in the 80's but I wasn't alive then so that really means nothing to me.

Can't blame you at all and I don't think you're spoiled, just fortunate. 

Those of us who have lived it, wish we hadn't.

That is what makes this forum so informative, different generations, viewpoints and opinions.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

On 11/30/2022 at 8:28 AM, cartm25 said:

"The worst day of watching the Ducks play football is better than the best day at work."

Typically true. Except last Saturday. I had business meetings both before and after the game.

Needless to say. My 5 o'clock meeting didn't go to well. 🙄 

• Yikes! 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2022 at 11:12 AM, Mic said:

if Oregon wins their Bowl game

That is a big if . . .

If Bo plays,

If the transfer portal doesn't take too many players.

If most of the pro-bound players don't opt out. (I personally don't have any problem with any player who opts out for their future.)

This is the problem with lower tier bowl games these days.

But on the bright side, it does give the back-ups valuable practice and game reps.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Once again, a great example of why winning teaches you one thing, and one thing only: you like it. We all do, and we suffer when it doesn’t happen. To paraphrase Bill Clinton, “We feel your pain.”

But, unbelievably painful losses like we just experienced are also golden opportunities — if you’re willing to seize them — and I don’t see Dan Lanning as the type who backs away from a hard challenge. As much as we hate losses like these, they open the door to what we need to do, and where we need to go.

The thing about the past is you don’t have to have lived it to learn from it, and if you know anything about the Ducks, you know we’ve been here before, learned from it, and got back on track — many times.

It’s that type of Oregon smarts and tenacity that makes me cling to that old cliché when we hit bumps in the road like this: when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

Well, you might not have to watch the Ducks in the Holiday Bowl, because they could drop to the Sun, Vegas, or LA Jimmy Kimmel Bowl!

• Oh no! 1

Since keeping a 17 point lead was not important to the Ducks I would imagine that a lower bowl isnt either.

10 wins is a goal worth fighting for.

I'll be rooting for 10 wins for both the Ducks and the Beavers.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That thought bothers me a bit too KK.  Another ending to a year where you have to wonder where a departing coach's head was at the end.  We need some stability.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm disappointed Bo's injury took the wind out of OBD's sails. I really had no expectations entering this season beyond the hope that we would find a road back to the upper deck.

How close we came.

I hate losing to the fuskies and dinglebeevers ad much as anyone, but as the season progressed,  the opportunity to crush the Toejams dreams of glory rose in my heart.

That's probably my main disappointment, beyond the lack of a serviceable backup QB.

Would have been nice to have a shot at the playoffs, but I really don't believe OBD were ready.