FishDuck Article

Offering Perspective on a Difficult Loss

Lessons from a big win in 2001.

FISHDUCK.COM

The howling and post mortem accusations have ripped around for 72 hours. In times like these I go another way, pulling out a memory I've fixed in amber and...

• Great post! 6
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

You're so right, Drex. In the end, football is just a game. A game that we love to watch and cheer for, especially for OBD. However, in the context of life, it is no big deal as there are bigger obstacles to overcome.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thank you Drex for giving us perspective!  There are so many things about Oregon football to enjoy and cheer about.  Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 3

It is just a game, and everyone is just doing their best. The item I loved how you highlighted was how people were so grateful in a time when things where so difficult. 

How we react when things get tough can teach us a lot. While you went through a tough experience, you came away a better man. So too will we, although this isn't too tough of an experience as compared to that time. 

That is the amazing thing about the coach and staff we have at Oregon right now. They are grateful for the opportunity and just want to improve, make Oregon better. I won't miss a minute if it, my perspective.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Like most Duck fans I clearly remember an emotional Jerry Allen after the 12-0 season Civil War announcing that Oregon was going to play in the National Championship game.

Oregon was one bad call away from winning it. I was fortunate to be able to attend with my two adult kids. After the initial grief, I realized I was just grateful for the experience. 

You can't win them all, but you can draw something positive from all of it. Win or lose.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

What an incredible article from a great Oregon fan.

Thanks so much Drex.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I know I tend to get wrapped up in the Ducks season and I get disappointed when it doesn't pan out the way I want... namely at least winning a Pac-12 Championship. The roster is talented on paper but has struggled to break through and put it all together for years now. I think a good chunk of that lies with the current and past coaching staffs. Should Oregon be in the Pac-12 Championship game? With a healthy Nix yes.. but we fell sort of that. 

The hangover of losses to Washington and Oregon State is still with me and I know it will eventually fade as we move into the off-season. 

It is just a game and there is so much more going on in my life than just Oregon Football... and I do find when Oregon is winning life is good but when they lose it effects me far more than it should. We tend to stew on losses more than victories. 

I think part of my current misery is also the notion that USC could sneak into the Playoff and the fact they Riley was able to gut his roster with a new hire rule and then bring in a ton of transfers (with the help of booster NIL) makes me sick to think that is where the sport is headed. That and USC already stabbed the conference in the back and they are enjoying success also just hurts. 

But of the biggest joys of sports though is that there is always next year. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Football is an emotional experience for fans. There are highs and lows.

However, life experience will definitely put into perspective the importance of winning or losing a football game. 

• Applause 1

Drex thank you for sharing your incredible life experience with all of us. It was a dark time for our country, her people and, of course, those families directly affected.

Losing to the dogs and beavus is nothing more than disappointing. It was just 2 games out of a season of playing games.

9/11 was a tragedy of monumental proportions. Sometimes a dose of reality gives us perspective.....

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Lessons from a big win in 2001.

FISHDUCK.COM

The howling and post mortem accusations have ripped around for 72 hours. In times like these I go another way, pulling out a memory I've fixed in amber and...

This is a good a post as I've read on this forum this year, Drex.  Thank you.  Another reason why I hope the Rose Bowl survives it's prematurely predicted demise.  (a little alliteration there).  You've made my day, sir.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tremendous, tremendous story.  Thank you so much.  Actually brought some tears to my eyes remembering that day as that tragedy was unfolding and what I was doing.

Another story for a different time.

Thank you for sharing.. from one Alaskan to another.

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"But it is just a game".  No truer words ever spoken.

Thanks for a great inciteful article.

• Applause 1

Excellent article, great perspective, thank you Drex!

Somehow this old John McKay quote connects to me now:

On a loss to Notre Dame: "I told our players there were 700-million Chinese who didn't even know the game was played. The next week, I got five letters from China saying, 'What happened?' "

• Applause 1

I do not live through the DUCKS.  I live through those that aspire to be DUCKS.  Never shy away from great competition nor tremble facing a stronger foe.  Hold your head high, face the challenges with your best efforts, satisfied you gave it your ALL.  To me that is OREGON and being a DUCK.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Thank you for sharing your wonderful perspective. It's often necessary to be yanked back into reality.

Only a game , yes. But oh how we love to learn about our beloved Ducks.

Also, thanks for all your contributions this season. Good stuff.