Babyjesus615

Bo Nix A First Rounder?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Buccaneers have to look to the future at the quarterback position

I hope I'm wrong. But, I don't see Bo grading out that well at the combine. He feels more like an early 3 round pick to me.

Love seeing two Ducks mentioned for the first round though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope he goes in the first round but don’t know if one year of high quality play will offset set perceptions of him as player. 

I always think it is crazy for teams to reach for a QB.  Young and Stroud should be the only 1st round QBs drafted.  However, I wouldn't draft them in the top 5.  I'm wrong more than 50% of the time, but I don't see either of them being a sure thing.

Personally... I think Bo needs to go late enough that he is going to a team that as a good foundation. Nix will struggle if he has to play hero ball as that was what happened at Auburn. He needs a team that can support him and not put the entire game on his shoulder. 

Now... I know what I just said seems a bit ridiculous at the same time because the NFL game is more and more about the quarterback than a run game. So the game will be on his shoulder more often than not but he needs a good supporting cast to be successful.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agree with David, go this season when you can get drafted by a team which wants what he brings, doesn't expect him to put the team on his shoulders. 

Bo is a solid qb, and can hang around the NFL for a while if has the right path.

A team like Tampa Bay would fit Nix's strengths great. They've already built an offense around a QB who is not mobile. They require an advanced level field general who can make accurate throws and protect the ball. Bo has shown he has the chops for both. 

First off let me say that I'm a huge fan of Bo Nix and I have been for awhile.  I believe he was put in a very bad situation at Auburn and KD 100% knew it which is why the stars aligned for Bo here at Oregon.  What Oregon brought to the table for Bo was a senior offensive line capable of protecting him and an offensive philosophy that put Bo in situations that maximized his throwing abilities and legs.

That being said I don't believe Bo grades out very well as a starting NFL QB.  The NFL is as different from college football as college is from highschool. 

Bo's legs keep plays alive when pass blocking breaks down, Bo get's 50% of the credit for the #1 pass protection stat at Oregon.  Bo's reads have allowed him to maximize situational plays and we've seen him change plays into first downs after the defense lines up.  Bo's touch on the deep ball allowed circus catches from his capable receivers.  Bo's vision found tight ends and RB's to turn man press coverage into gains.

In the NFL Bo's speed isn't enough to beat elite pass rushers.  The NFL disguises defensive alignments making those situational reads as much of a liability as a benefit.  Bo's arm lacks the power needed to thread balls into perfectly executed zone coverage.  The NFL game speed collapses check down timelines to about 1.5 seconds.

Do I think Bo could improve in ALL of those categories to be a good NFL QB?  Yes, but I doubt he would get the chance and the reason is he's had a number of injuries that make him taking hits on the scramble a risk every down.  He had the #1 pass protection stat in the country and his season ended with a sprained ankle.  An ankle he's previously broken in high school and at Auburn.

I honestly believe the best thing for Bo is he get's drafted much later as a backup QB for a team that favors mobile QB's but isn't looking for a starter.  A worse option but possibly better for his long term career is he's used by a pass heavy offense as a scout team QB to simulate mobile QB's.  

I could be totally wrong and maybe Bo builds cankles in the off season but I think he would be a great coach but isn't likely to break out in the NFL.

Edited by Duck Fan 76

I'm no one to know how Bo's professional prospects shake out but I'd think just about any NFL team would like to have a QB like him on staff if only for the young man's football knowledge, competitive spirit and sheer grit & determination.  Does he ever get a starting job off the bat?  Probably not, but few college QB's do.  Could he rescue a team from total disaster should their starter go down suddenly, Yeah, I could see that.  And if there's one thing pro teams don't have enough of is decent QB' backups who can at least keep their team 'in it' if their starter gets hurt.  

Tom Brady, (just to name one everyone knows) was no QB wonderkind either when he went pro.  Neither was Joe Montana.   Dittos for Terry Bradshaw. Three of the best pro-QB's all-time.  

On 12/1/2022 at 9:56 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I could be totally wrong and maybe Bo builds cankles in the off season but I think he would be a great coach but isn't likely to break out in the NFL.

i certanly agree with this.  Most every college QB would like the chance to be an NFL starter, but few succeed at doing it.  Bo would be a great back up, would stay much healthier, and would get his NFL fix and pension.

I think Bo's ultimate livelihood will be coaching.  He's got such high football IQ, interacts with teammates and people well, and has serious drive.  Maybe he could eventually come back as our QB coach at some  point.

Edited by 47sgs