Babyjesus615

Does Oregon NEED A Transfer QB?

This was highly expected and now that he is in the portal, should Oregon go after Hudson Card to bolster its QB ranks?

Does bringing in a guy like this help or hurt the existing QB room?

I'd say bring in a couple senior QBs. I don't think Moore would be too concerned being behind a legit first string caliber guy for a year. Being a four year starter, he probably feels he has a legit chance to win a competition. If you want to go to a playoff caliber team, you have to expect stiff competition for a starting spot.

Clearly with Butters gone and TT not showing much ability to lead the team at this point, we're extremely thin in the QB (and that's assuming TT stays, certainly not a given).

I think I would be hesitant to bring in a young transfer, but a senior with a year (maybe two) of eligibility would seem to fit the bill.  Despite the fact that our recent QB transfers have done pretty well, I sure would like us to bring up our QBs through the system.  Not sure that's possible anymore, but still think it should be a goal.

It feels silly to want to put my hopes and dreams in backing a 5-star quarterback who hasn't played any college football, but I do feel Dante Moore will probably be the guy. If Nix stays we are fine for this year. 

If Nix leaves... I feel we may need to consider a transfer quarterback so we could at least have a back-up. This assumes that Moore is everything we think he can be... I am not sure that Thompson is going to stick around. We need an actual back-up. 

Granted in this new age of NIL and Transfer Portal... I feel every major school's qb room will probably only be 2-3 deep at most. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, David Marsh said:

It feels silly to want to put my hopes and dreams in backing a 5-star quarterback who hasn't played any college football, but I do feel Dante Moore will probably be the guy. If Nix stays we are fine for this year. 

If Nix leaves... I feel we may need to consider a transfer quarterback so we could at least have a back-up. This assumes that Moore is everything we think he can be... I am not sure that Thompson is going to stick around. We need an actual back-up. 

Granted in this new age of NIL and Transfer Portal... I feel every major school's qb room will probably only be 2-3 deep at most. 

Agree with you on this one, at one time TT was a highly-rated 5* too.  Sure seems like DM could be the man, but at this point he isn't even officially a Duck so it would really be rolling the dice if we don't have a Plan B.

Edited by noDucknewby

On 12/1/2022 at 9:51 AM, noDucknewby said:

Agree with you on this one, at one time TT was a highly-rated 5* too.  Sure seems like DM could be the man, but at this point he isn't even officially a Duck so it would really be rolling the dice if we don't have a Plan B.

Good news is that he will sign in the early signing period so he will be officially locked in with the Ducks while the transfer portal is open.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, David Marsh said:

So, you still feel Moore will honor his commitment;  I hope you're correct.  Perhaps that's part of Butterfield's reason for transferring, that and/or Bo's perhaps staying for one more go-round.  Here I wish I could share your optimism but I see little reason why Bo would want to put off his bid to go pro.  As far as looking for another transfer: at what point does Oregon finally give TT his 'shot' at starting?  How long can this situation go on?

On 12/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mic said:

So, you still feel Moore will honor his commitment;  I hope you're correct.  Perhaps that's part of Butterfield's reason for transferring, that and/or Bo's perhaps staying for one more go-round.  Here I wish I could share your optimism but I see little reason why Bo would want to put off his bid to go pro.  As far as looking for another transfer: at what point does Oregon finally give TT his 'shot' at starting?  How long can this situation go on?

For now I feel he is probably going to honor the commitment... but the nice thing is that the early signing period is during the transfer portal window so Lanning and Co can react if something falls apart. 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mic said:

As far as looking for another transfer: at what point does Oregon finally give TT his 'shot' at starting?  How long can this situation go on?

TT seems like a good guy and I wish him luck in life but a fumbled hand off turned scoop and score in his one and only play in a game is the last play I'd like to see from him. I'd consider the starting audition closed.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:18 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

TT seems like a good guy and I wish him luck in life but a fumbled hand off turned scoop and score in his one and only play in a game is the last play I'd like to see from him. I'd consider the starting audition closed.

It (any of his playing) certainly wasn't an auspicious audition, I grant you that.  However, if TT stays on the roster for next year I'd be in favor of starting him in one of our "safest" non-conference games, the one O's most likely to win, and just let the chips fall where they may.  If he bombs out, replace him in the 2nd or 3rd qtr. and retrieve the win if possible.  Football is a game of risks and maybe Oregon needs to take this risk to determine his 'worth' once and for all.  IMO, this situation can't continue the way it's going.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:18 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I'm on board with this sentiment. Thompson was recruited by a guy who required vastly different things from his QB. So much has changed offensively since then. Time to officially wipe the slate clean from Crist-no-balls and look to the future. I'll wish TT luck at ASU and hope he winds up on the receiving end of a few sacks when we play them next year.

Edited by Babyjesus615

On 12/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

I'm on board with this sentiment. Thompson was recruited by a guy who required vastly different things from his QB. So much has changed offensively since then. Time to officially wipe the slate clean from Crist-no-balls and look to the future. I'll wish TT luck at ASU and hope he winds up on the receiving end of a few sacks when we play them next year.

Yes. If he gives us back a scoop and score, I'd call that even.

I think several factors play in Lannings decision to get a transfer QB.  First is what is Bo going to do?  If he stays, we won't need a potential starter.

Second, how will taking a transfer affect what Dante Moore does?  Last thing Lanning wants to do is anything that concerns him.  And lastly, are both Butterfield and TT going to leave, which gives us almost no depth.  So if a transfer is taken, are we looking for a starter or just a decent backup.  I think Lanning needs some of those questions answered before he makes the transfer decision. 

Even if Bo comes back (highly doubtful)  a experienced QB transfer would add to the competition.  

If Bo moves on and TT hits the portal then we will need 2 QB transfers.

NIL money will probably play a key role on how things in the QB room roll out.  Our 3 non-conference games are all manageable and could be won by a true freshmen QB or a transfer.

As we all know, once you get into the conference schedule, anything can happen. Road games vs Utah and Washingron may find the Ducks as underdogs. USC and Oregon State will be toss ups at home.

Whoever earns the starting job will need to be a leader and dynamic. If that player needs to come from the portal, so be it.

Go Ducks........

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Even if Bo comes back (highly doubtful)  a experienced QB transfer would add to the competition.  

It was said by someone else before; but I feel as though we've entered the Era where a transfer QB is required every year that a freshman QB comes in. The days of raw (but talented) prospects developing over a few seasons is going the way of the dinosaur.

Teams need to know they have an experienced option on the field, ready to take the reigns should one of their youngsters get tired of waiting. This is systemic at almost all positions; through all divisions of college football now. No one has the patience to put their time in (a lot are chasing NIL money). 

Compounding this issue is the reality that most QBs who start their college career rarely end with the same OC that recruited them. OCs are bolting for their first head coaching gig these days faster than ducks from the sound of a shotgun; rather than staying multiple seasons to develop their system. This has led to players leaving and following the coach to their new landing spot (Lincoln Riley/Caleb Williams).

In short, we'll need a transfer QB because the status quo dictates that we do. Until that changes it's reality we live in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering the O-line we will have next year compared to this year, a senior transfer would be wise. Putting a freshman qb behind a O-line still learning isn't what you want a new qb to have to deal with.

I like the RB's and Receivers our qb will have. The O-line and new OC would seem to indicate we may need to bring in the competition and mentoring a senior qb would bring. A smart, competitive freshman would be wise to want that.

If Nix is that guy then great, but if he isn't we need somebody who has experienced what a freshman is going through. Players often learn best from other players, and I am not sure Ty is going to provide much great advice on how to deal with the freshman jitters. I'm not writing off Ty, but he needs help too.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

I feel the same way about KD at ASU, clear down to being on the receiving end of a few sacks. Oh, except for the wishing him well part. (Yes, I am struggling to climb out above the clouds.)

• Applause 1

If the Ducks want to win NOW, then yes unfortunately. Unless the next QB enrolling fresh out of high school is the second coming of Marcus Mariota.

However, I agree with others on this board that Oregon needs to get back to developing QB's again and stop the vicious cycle of frequently relying on the transfer portal. The downside of that is maybe expect up to 3 to 4 losses in the 1st and possibly 2nd seasons while the QB develops. In our age of instant gratification, many will not be patient enough to go through this.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Applause 1

I’m becoming weary of all the drama. The NCAA is incompetent at best.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2022 at 1:57 AM, OceaniaDuck said:

If the Ducks want to win NOW, then yes unfortunately. Unless the next QB enrolling fresh out of high school is the second coming of Marcus Mariota.

However, I agree with others on this board that Oregon needs to get back to developing QB's again and stop the vicious cycle of frequently relying on the transfer portal. The downside of that is maybe expect up to 3 to 4 losses in the 1st and possibly 2nd seasons while the QB develops. In our age of instant gratification, many will not be patient enough to go through this.

I think it will hinge on the new OC. Last time Dilly basically brought in Nix. This time who knows, but we don't have the seasoned O-line, and a new offense may need somebody more experienced than what we will have on the sideline, so far. 

What we do have, as seen in the two critical games, is a couple wily offensive minds for rival coaches. That will be the bar the new OC will have to get over. Dilly and Lanning couldn't match what Smith and DeBoer brought. That is unacceptable, and the new OC will need to be able to help us rise above these two.

Yes I think they do need to as well.  I'm guessing TT doesn't stick around. As of right now kinda feeling like Nix might stay next year depending on the OC hire. I agree with everyone saying they need to get back to developing QBs but this year they are going to need able bodies. I believe Moore will sign but you can't put all your hopes on him being the next Mariota and not having a legitimate backup. We all saw how that went this year.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:56 AM, 12Duck72 said:

I believe Moore will sign but you can't put all your hopes on him being the next Mariota and not having a legitimate backup.

I have been seeing statements like this quite often over the last couple weeks. I feel the need to remind everyone that even our GREAT MARCUS did not play as true freshman. Thinking Donte will is a HUGE assumption.

Our last true freshman quarterback was Justin and he didn't play his freshman year until several games into the season.

Ty has not proved himself ready. Donte has not proved anything at all.

From this I conclude. YES, we need a seasoned QB. Hopefully (but, doubtfully) Bo. To the portal we go.

Edited by DUCati855
  • Thumbs Up 1