DiscoDuck

Where Ducks' Defense Ranks Nationally

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon’s defense didn’t quite play to the level that we expected under Dan Lanning. Here’s where they rank nationally in some key...

Total Defense:  #75

This is the Ducks biggest problem that needs to be addressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are going to be a lot of conversations this off season between Dan Lanning and Tosh Lupoi.

• Thumbs Up 1

We've posted a few times before that this was the Achilles heel for Oregon and they are right in calling out flashes of great play but the consistent outcomes was poor defensive play on the field.

I think the defense played confused for much of the season.  Go back and watch other PAC12 defenses with much less skilled athletes react to Oregon shifting offensive formations.  The defense shifts fluidly with every player knowing how to adjust.  Oregon's defense struggled to align and get the right assignments when offenses shifted formations. 

What success Oregon had on defense usually aligned with the defense getting set correctly and coverage around the ball being executed correctly.  In those situations Oregon's better athletes made amazing plays.  Think about that for a second, it should be extremely rare that Oregon wasn't set correctly and executing the correct coverage... 

I really think this is what DL was alluding to when he said in multiple press conferences that the "coaches need to teach it better" and Oregon's defense is "closer than you think".  If Oregon's defense had gotten there by game 3 this season would have been the one but the defense never seemed to get it.

A team can be thought of having four phases: Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing.  Storming is usually thought to be a conflict stage but it doesn't have to be an ego competition.  Storming can simply be a cooperative team that is failing to break the larger goals down into smaller achievable tasks.  This issue can be sourced from many elements of the team and I don't know for sure what happened on the team.

I can say however, that if the leadership doesn't communicate well the team has little chance of absorbing the plan let alone executing it correctly.  Teaching defenses is a very difficult task as the players have to be at or near the same level of understanding to coordinate play on the field.

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, cartm25 said:

I sure hope HAVOC has an entirely new meaning next year.

Or, maybe not a new meaning, but a regular appearance would be nice.

Agree, raises the question, where did most fans expect Oregon's defense to end up this season, #75? Miami ended up #67, ouch!

As disturbed as the entire fan base is with the performance of the defense this year, I am 100% certain that DL is even more disturbed.

There is no way he is going to run away and hide from this. He is going to face the challenge head on and fix it... no matter what it takes. He is used to leading the best defense in the nation. Is he going to be satisfied with anything less than top 10? 

I am not a gambling man, but I´d bet my bottom dollar on the answer to that question.