81DuckAlum

I Apologize For Being Negative, But Crepea Says Exactly What I Feel and 9 and 3 was Absolutely Nothing Positive

Playoffs->Championship->meaningless bowl game. Really painful. 

I personally feel nothing painful about an entirely new coaching staff coming in, installing entirely new offensive and defensive schemes largely with players recruited to play Cristobal's "schemes", and going 9-3.  I also don't personally understand how anyone can see "nothing positive" about this season under those circumstances. I see an optimism and a potential in Dan Lanning's Ducks that I haven't felt since Chip left.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

I am moving on to other things

83209.jpeg.3468b8e8d15d37a4cfde641b440ab837.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1

It was disappointing for me but not a total loss. GA was a no brainer loss before kickoff but had Oregon lost to UCLA and then to UW but beat the Beavis would that make anyone feel better? They'd still be 9-3.

Should of lost to WSU but pulled a hat trick out at the end to sneak out a win. 

The fact that both conference losses were so close and that they are the two most hated rivalries has a lot to with making it seem like the season feels like a total loss.

But IMO Oregon was exposed for who they were. A high powered offence with a mediocre defensive team with a new coach that got out in front of his skis at times and got out coached. Stuff happens. It's football.

Can't wait for next year. 

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

With NIL and the portal part of the big time college landscape we could see huge swings in wins and losses.

Last year Baylor and Michigan State used the portal to forge impressive seasons. Yet this season they fell off to being about average. This season usc used the portal to rise from 4-8 to 11-1. Who knows what next season will bring?

That includes OBD's. Players and coaches will come and go. Players chasing a better NIL or playing time. Coaches moving for a better gig, paycheck or dream job. Stability gives way to fluidity. Multiple parts moving annually.

Well grounded coaches like KD and JS coach their talent up and mold players into their system. I wonder what DL will be like?

Either way i cant wait for this years signing class and the bowl game. Dont care who, when or where we play cause i love my Ducks. That's why i am Happy.......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/1/2022 at 4:49 PM, CountryProf said:

I personally feel nothing painful about an entirely new coaching staff coming in, installing entirely new offensive and defensive schemes largely with players recruited to play Cristobal's "schemes", and going 9-3.  I also don't personally understand how anyone can see "nothing positive" about this season under those circumstances. I see an optimism and a potential in Dan Lanning's Ducks that I haven't felt since Chip left.

The recruiting players for your schemes and installing new schemes line is overblown. I think it's a cop-out. Our players were recruited by all the top schools - its' not the talent. It's coaching and development that decides if you win with the talent you have. Sure you might have couple busts.

It's not like Mario brought in a bunch of kids who ran the Wing-T for offense and a 4-3 defense. Most of the players are blue-chips who were inn spread offenses and modern defenses to defend them. QBs aren't coming in never taking a snap out of the shotgun.

Mario took this roster with AB and went 10-2 in the regular season and made the pac-12 Champ game.

Lanning with a much better QB went 8-3 and missed the Pac-12 Champ game. Lanning was more competitive with the last two games lost to top 25 teams coming by 7 combined points. But Lanning has a much better QB and offensive scheme.

The reason why the Lanning's team fell short of the Playoffs and Pac-12 Champ game was coaching.

Dilly was good but a green play caller. Think about all the first half poor play calls at WAZZU inside the red zone. Dilly had some bad 4th down play calls in the last two losses, the cute formation and fumble in the UW game. The Ty reverse call in the Utah game. The 4th down jet sweep to Franklin in the OSU game. 

Dilly choked on some big calls this year, period.

We all know how Lanning choked on some big high risk decisions that also cost us games. 

With a new staff the growing pain mistakes you expect is not getting the best out of players, the staff needing to learn to coach players up better.

You don't expect the new staff to coach up the players well enough to go to the Playoffs and then have the coaches make ridiculous in game decisions and calls that robs the players of all the hard work they put and crushes their dreams. 

It's not the players or the coaches ability to get them game ready that tanked the dream. It was the coaching game calls that is to blame. 

We have never seen a coach at Oregon choke like this ever - at the same time his team was melting down to boot.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

There were/are very many positive things about the 2022 Oregon Duck Season.

Going 9-3 is not one of them.

• Applause 1

They definitely should be playing tomorrow night but overall feel this program is going in the right direction. You need elite players and DL will get plenty of them. As John McKay said ""There aren't many secrets in coaching. Well, there's one secret: Get a guy like Warrick Dunn, throw him a screen pass and watch him run 52 yards with it." (been reading John McKay quotes ... funny dude).

Some questionable coaching calls but people learn and evolve. Dan seems like a smart guy that is open to learning. The biggest thing to me is that if Bo Nix doesn't get hurt TV viewing would be a lot better Friday at 5 PM. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, DazeNconfused said:

The recruiting players for your schemes and installing new schemes line is overblown. I think it's a cop-out. Our players were recruited by all the top schools - its' not the talent. It's coaching and development that decides if you win with the talent you have. Sure you might have couple busts.

It's not like Mario brought in a bunch of kids who ran the Wing-T for offense and a 4-3 defense. Most of the players are blue-chips who were inn spread offenses and modern defenses to defend them. QBs aren't coming in never taking a snap out of the shotgun.

Mario took this roster with AB and went 10-2 in the regular season and made the pac-12 Champ game.

Lanning with a much better QB went 8-3 and missed the Pac-12 Champ game. Lanning was more competitive with the last two games lost to top 25 teams coming by 7 combined points. But Lanning has a much better QB and offensive scheme.

The reason why the Lanning's team fell short of the Playoffs and Pac-12 Champ game was coaching.

Dilly was good but a green play caller. Think about all the first half poor play calls at WAZZU inside the red zone. Dilly had some bad 4th down play calls in the last two losses, the cute formation and fumble in the UW game. The Ty reverse call in the Utah game. The 4th down jet sweep to Franklin in the OSU game. 

We all know how Lanning choked on some big high risk decisions that also cost us games. 

With a new staff the growing pain mistakes you expect is not getting the best out of players, the staff needing to learn to coach players up better.

You don't expect the new staff to coach up the players well enough to go to the Playoffs and then have the coaches make ridiculous in game decisions and calls that robs the players of all the hard work they put and crushes their dreams. 

It's not the players or the coaches ability to get them game ready that tanked the dream. It was the coaching game calls that is to blame. 

We have never seen a coach at Oregon choke like this ever - at the same time his team was melting down to boot.

I just don’t get the (massively) overblown negativity. I disagree with basically everything in this post, except Dilly making some bad 4th down calls. The pac was waaaay down last year. Our team this year would have steamrolled everyone except Utah and would have probably been toe to toe with them. So comparing to last year is very faulty logic.

Additionally, calling a coaches confidence and determination to go for it sells short that this is his mindset and part of his MO to run this program and part of what over time tells your guys you have confidence in them to get the first. It is a philosophical decision, and not a choke. You may not like that philosophy, but that is how he wants to run his program. Saying we have never see an Oregon coach choke like this is some incredible hyperbole. Pretty unreasonable expectations for a first season and first time head coach to be that negative about him over combined 7  point deficit in his only 2 conference losses. 

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

DazeNconfused that was a strong post and i support most of your thoughts 

Personally I feel MC went 10-2 last year because the PAC was so weak. When MC and the Ducks faced KD and the Utes (with great QB play) they got destroyed. Oklahoma, with an interim coach destroyed the Ducks in the first half of the bowl game. I didnt feel MC and his staff were good in game decision makers who feasted on a weak conference. And they lost to Stanford.

This year the top 7 teams in the PAC were strong. Top 25 strong. New coaches, top QB transfers and portal players changed the landscape. Including our Ducks.  MC's middling offense would have maybe gone 7-5 or 6-6......

DL and his staff were correcting mistakes and making in game adjustments, all season. We lost to #1, #12 and #14. We beat UCLA, Utah and Wazzu. The Ducks played a very tough schedule. I just cant discount that coaching got us their, too. MC would not have gone 9-3.

Many factors went into being 9-3 instead of 11-1.

● Bo's untimely injury

● TT's inability to run a simple

play, read a defense , scan

the field or run progressions 

(I can't believe that the 

coaches didn't work withTT)

● A complete let down by the

secondary against UW that

gave them quick, easy TD's

● The defensive players simply

disappeared in the entire 4th

quarter against the Beavs.

The players were on the field

not the coaches.

● The coaches werent on the 

field misjudging kick offs

or fumbling punt snaps. Thats

on the players and their focus.

● And yes DL and staff made

costly mistakes and insane

play calls at times.

I agree with you that the HC and his staff bear the responsibilty for the end result. But some of these players just never got it. Maybe they didnt buy in? Maybe they lacked the work ethic to be champions. Maybe, maybe and more maybes.......

I want to know what happened to the juggernaut that walked off the field in the horseshoe in September 2021. You know the team that humbled tOSU Buckeyes. I hope DL can build back to that level.

It's okay to be terribly disapoointed, even angry. Even sore losers. Or have to buy Rose Bowl ( or NY6)

tickets to pay off a bet to my dog buddies. No printable words can describe what i feel.

I love my Ducks. The coaches need to get better but some of these players need to own it, too. Or just hit the portal.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

There is a stark dividing line in this game for both teams’ statistical performances. It happens with about 8 and a half minutes left in the 3rd quarter, when Oregon State fumbled the ball for...

I am recommending Hythloday's analysis of the game for those of you who bear thinking about this for another ten minutes. 

His method is to score plays as successes and failures (both on offense and defense) then tabulate the percentages. 

He concludes that Oregon was doing well on both sides of the ball until the fumble. After that point, Oregon was unable to run the ball or stop the run. 

Hytholoday admits to some puzzlement about this reversal, which does not seem to be related to any personnel or schematic changes. 

My explanation: the special teams errors, especially the kickoff returns, handcuffed an offense that had been rolling, which gave the Beavers hope. 

OSU played hard most of the game, and once their emotions were engaged again, emotion was the big equalizer. 

I have to give the opponent some credit, but the door was left open by our failed kickoff returns. 

I understand players who try and are beaten by better or luckier athletes. 

I am less sympathetic regarding mental mistakes that provide opportunites to opponents who down by several touchdowns. 

Although I am still in Lanning's corner, I do wonder why a better decision makers (such as Bucky Irving) was not fielding those kicks. 

Thank you for your patience. I expect many are sick of the topic. 

• Thumbs Up 5

We deserved to lose to WSU, but I strongly believe we got very unlucky in our losses to Washington and OSU. So, I feel we "deserved" to be 10-2 with one Pac-12 loss. That's not so bad at all. But it's also not what happened either. The biggest concern for me was that we didn't have a capable back-up QB. I mean, is that normal for a program that is expected to finish in the top 15 every year? No? Also, I'm concerned about having a lesser starting center and OL next year. We may have to get one or two transfer QB's depending on if Nix comes back. I doubt he does. So, I'd maybe drop some hints to TT to enter the portal, and get two transfers to back up or compete with Moore. 

• Applause 1

And some think I'm too negative!! ?

• Thumbs Up 1

In My book losing the the Huskies and Beavers is a failure. But its just football. No biggie.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, DazeNconfused said:

DNC,

By the standards you used for Mario.  Mario should have had the same if not better results in Miami and he is a HC with years of experience with older veteran position coaches.

Can we not concluded that there was some short comings in back ups, staff and scheme that did not fully take advantage of the talent present at Oregon and needs some dialing in?  That for a first year coach et al, that what had been accomplished may have been better with some experience and time?  I surely am encouraged by what I saw but knew the team had issues that may hurt them against better competition.  And it happened.  Lessons Learned Lanning.  Next!