Log Haulin

Dilly Finds His OC

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

Beau Baldwin is relinquishing head coaching duties to take an assistant role in the Pac-12.

Good hire by Dilly.  Baldwin's offensives were explosive at Eastern Washington.  Not sure what happened at Cal (perhaps no one can succeed there?).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, OregonDucks said:

Good hire by Dilly.  Baldwin's offensives were explosive at Eastern Washington.  Not sure what happened at Cal (perhaps no one can succeed there?).

VA and Kupp will do that for an offense.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

VA and Kupp will do that for an offense.

The NC was prior to both, so...

Not everyone seems to think highly of this hire. Jason Scheer is writer for 247 Sports in Arizona.

Sources: Arizona State poised to add national champion as offensive coordinator

247SPORTS.COM

Arizona State has targeted an offensive coordinator with a national title as a head coach and recruiting connections to the Pacific...

Wondering if  Dillingham's impressive talents and abilities as an OC will make life hard for Baldwin.

Dilly's going to be a great head coach. He landed in a place thats going to have a ton of patience. KD will get 4 years, successful or not. 

If Baldwin doesn't work out he has 2-3 to find the right guy. After that he will have to be competitive,  conf title contenders.

ASU ain't the Ducks. He won't have Nix, elite O line, 3 or 4 studs to throw to and an elite back field.

Seemed Dilly stopped using his TE late in the year. I don't understand, TE were lethal early. 

Hope Dilly is successful. With a loss to the Ducks every year of course 

• Thumbs Up 1

His history as an OC in the Pac-12 isn't impressive. The job he will have, the OC in the Pac-12, Pac-10. His offense was ranked 11th, 12th and then 12th out of the 12 teams in the Pac-12.

Famous last words heard too many times, 'this time will be different.'

If Lanning had made this hire I would question it, but he has had success at EWU. Could be like Brady Hoke, he is a good coach when he is in the right spot. 

The best OC Dilly could hire who is young, but needs more tempering is himself...

On 12/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, Haywarduck said:

Famous last words heard too many times, 'this time will be different.'

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the ASU offense was "iffy" under a head coach who was known for offense?   (Is this a hire that Mike Bellotti would make?  NO.)

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/2/2022 at 7:15 PM, nw777b said:

The NC was prior to both, so...

So….what? His most prolific offenses were with those two guys and he couldn’t win the NC. Then he went on to have offenses that never finished above 11th in the Pac 12 and a 4-21 run at Cal Poly. Chip Kelly was awesome up until 2012 and he has coached like Chip Diller since then. 

2B93AE24-2D39-44ED-B93E-82FD7BEFC90C.webp

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 12/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, jrw said:

Wondering if  Dillingham's impressive talents and abilities as an OC will make life hard for Baldwin.

I was wondering along the same lines.  Will Dilly, a novice HC, try to micro-manage things, esp on offense, like Mario C tried? 

I kept trying to see the brilliance of Dilly and towards the end he got our QB injured and called plays we all knew were coming. I’m definitely not on the Dilly band wagon. Not enough history to call him a great offensive genius. We will see. 

On 12/2/2022 at 6:01 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

So….what? His most prolific offenses were with those two guys and he couldn’t win the NC. Then he went on to have offenses that never finished above 11th in the Pac 12 and a 4-21 run at Cal Poly. Chip Kelly was awesome up until 2012 and he has coached like Chip Diller since then. 

2B93AE24-2D39-44ED-B93E-82FD7BEFC90C.webp

Point being he did fine with and without them at EWU. That's what.

Numerous EWU players were drafted.

My comment was directly related to the fact he got an NC without them. PERIOD!

LOL