Charles Fischer

Dilly Offers and Tries to Pull FOUR Oregon Assistant Coaches...Yikes

It was published on a pay-site over a day ago, so after waiting a respectable 26 hours...I will share that Dilly was trying to entice Adrian Klemm, Demetrice Martin, Tony Tuioti and Joe Lorig to Tempe.

But they all have decided to stay at OregonWhew!

Lanning and Lorig exult at the end of the UCLA game...

Happy Moment for Lanning and Lorig_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Whew! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Wow. Savage.

I wonder if Dillly told ASU he could build part of his staff with Oregon guys? I was wondering if he had the connections/Cred to pull a good staff. Look like maybe not. His OC was thrown a life line but I bet he only came as the play caller. ASU job is a chance for him to rebuild his career and he can't do that not calling plays. 

Wonder what Lanning thinks about Dilly trying to poach his staff? Dilly had like 5 years as an OC, but didn't call plays. Lanning hires him and gives him the chance to call plays and he bails after one year and tries to poach staff? The way the special teams were last week Lorig  can go join Dilly and we could upgrade.

Might be reason to get an OC who isn't looking for a HC gig where he can poach the staff when he moves on.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, I guess he's got to get 'em from somewhere and as young as he is, he hasn't had a lot of experience working with assistants this good before, I would imagine.  ASU needs all the help he can muster up.  I just wish he'd go elsewhere and leave our coaches alone!  With the possible exception of the one coach that comes to mind he didn't ask for.  Tosh Lupoi.  Even Dilly doesn't seem to want him.  I wonder why?

On 12/2/2022 at 6:11 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Wow. Savage..

Might be reason to get an OC who isn't looking for a HC gig where he can poach the staff when he moves on.

Dilly (or anyone else) can't poach staff unless the staff want poaching.  Any coaches leaving for somewhere else (ASU or ?) will have to have a pretty good reason, like maybe >$, lots >$.  I guess we'll find out in coming days ahead if any of our assistants want poached.

Edited by Mic

We can also assume Dilly is on the phone trying to flip Oregon commits - like the five star QB. I'm sure he has reached out to every commit to tell them they are welcome here. 

Also sure he is going after our players in the Portal. 

• Yikes! 1

On 12/2/2022 at 6:40 PM, DazeNconfused said:

We can also assume Dilly is on the phone trying to flip Oregon commits - like the five star QB. I'm sure he has reached out to every commit to tell them they are welcome here. 

Also sure he is going after our players in the Portal. 

Some of them probably, unless he signed something with Oregon before he left as part of his release.  

On 12/2/2022 at 6:35 PM, Mic said:

I guess we'll find out in coming days ahead if any of our assistants want poached.

Perhaps you missed what I wrote; they have already decided, and are STAYING.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Appreciate what he did while here, but I am starting to look forward to the game in Tempe next year. I don't know about Coach Lanning, but maybe he had a little of this reaction, at least initially.

72zgeu.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 7:07 PM, cartm25 said:

I don’t look forward to it if Dilly has ASU scoring 40 ppg, and DL hasn’t improved the defense.

I am trying to remember--what was the general opinion of the Oregon defensive players before the season started? I'm thinking there was some concern, but really don't recall for sure.

He can have Lupoi. I got no problem with that.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want a friend in this world, get a dog.

- Attributed to President Harry Truman

• Thumbs Up 1

I find the end/off season antics very interesting to follow.

Coaching movement, next week's signing day, the Portal, and even the final champioship games. There is seldom a dull moment.

This begins the first full off season cycle for coach Lanning. Will he win this chess match, or gamble and lose?

Will Martin Malchow and the added off field staff begin to pay off? I hope they earn their keep with blue chip recuits and proven playmakers from the Transfer Portal.

Just more drama

On 12/2/2022 at 8:21 PM, Notalot said:

Will Martin Malchow and the added off field staff begin to pay off?

Martin Malchow?  I think you mean Marshall Malchow, O's Football Chief of Staff?  If I remember correctly, he's even younger than Dilly and Lanning both.  Some sort of 'player whiz' at assembling teams.  But his last team assembly didn't fare so well as their recruiting number would suggest (A&M) who was rated #1 but had a very disappointing and dismal season.  It happens.

Yeah, I agree.  Now's a good time for his talents to show up and see what he can do to fill some important slots that desperately need filling.