Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Hats off to Utah -- Utes Beat USC for Pac-12 title

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Utes win second straight conference championship.

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles
  • Thumbs Up 2

This article deserves a read. Canzano's noting the behavior of Utah, Oregon and U$C QBs is very telling about the culture of the three programs and their field generals.

A gimpy Bo catches up to a dejected and less than 100% Cameron after the Duck win at Autzen to give him support and respect. It's obvious from the video that the Utes QB responds in kind.

The U$C QB writes F... UTAH on his fingernails with a sharpie. When brought to Rising's attention at the post game media conference, his response is very direct and telling. No love lost there. There is no other interpretation than:

Rising (Utah) and Nix (Oregon)  ......Class and mutual respect 

Williams (U$C).....um, not so much

I am of course disappointed that Oregon choked away it's chances to face U$C last night. But I am very happy that Utah took a first half shot (watch that hachet job on Rising's head that should have been called targeting) from $C then proceeded to curb stomp them out of the CFP and Rose Bowl. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Article or no, it was a smile I found on my face when I read the final score of this game.  That, and a long sigh for what might have been had Oregon not had their 'powder-room collapse' at Reser.  I feel very confident that even with O's defense woes they could have (would have) beaten USC as well.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

This article deserves a read. Canzano's noting the behavior of Utah, Oregon and U$C QBs is very telling about the culture of the three programs and their field generals.

Over the years, not always a big fan of Canzano but he does have some chops and occasionally writes some good zingers.  Like these two when describing what happened in that 3rd Qtr last night when USC managed just one-yard on offense:   Yeah, you gotta hand it to him, he nailed it.: 

USC moved three feet in 15 minutes, folks. 

Utah’s defense essentially turned Lincoln Riley’s offense into a slug. 

That makes USC's Caleb Williams (with the F_CK UTAH on his fingernails) 'King of Slugs'.  Utah deserves all the credit they get for that win.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

In that shot of the two coaches together one (Whittingham) looks like the ham-sandwich, hard hat, blue collar guy who knows how to get things done and Riley like the fresh-faced frat boy and former class president who everyone calls the wonder-kind of his sport.  

The lunch-pail guy just handed the frat boy a hard dose of reality.  Football is tough business and not for show-n-tell or song and dance.  Kudos to Utah. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The takeaway: Riley either didn’t see or didn’t care about Williams’ display of an aggressively unsportsmanlike attitude. 

I’m not sure which would be worse. 

• Yikes! 1

I hated Coach Riley's response. Utah was the better team 'tonight'. 'Tonight', that just smacks of someone who feels they are better but just had a glitch. 

How many times did you lose to Utah this year? LR and U$C wasnt the better team. Serious lack of respect.

I want every team in the PAC to win their bowl game except U$C

• Thumbs Up 1

A screenshot of a tweet that sums it up. 

F3D0EA27-024D-4BBD-95DF-555078CFF27B.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon knows that answer from last year--ouch, ouch, ouch!

Congrats so much to the Utes, and the great Utah fans who come to OBD forum.  You deserve it!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Utah's football program is so under appreciated and under rated.

Last year the Big Dog in the PAC was Oregon. Utah destroyed them twice and were crowned PAC Champions.

This year the Big Dog in the PAC was uscsuck. Utah beat them twice. One a come from behind nail biter and the other a come from behind butt kicking. Thus earning back to back titles.

Both seasons the Utes did something that Alabama and tOSU could not do. They won their Conference Title. Hec tOSU didn't make it to their own conference title game the last 2 seasons. Sort of backed into the RB. Yet they will probably get a back door invite to CFP. They did not even earn a trip to the BIG title game, yet they may earn an invite to play for the Natty.

That is a lack of respect by the CFP committee. Well done Utes, now go get that Rose Bowl victory.

To be fair - the Ducks were one (of two) bad fourth down decisions from going to Vegas and being champs.  Lot’s of respect for Oregon and how they handled Utah this year and how Bo stepped up on one leg.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Oregon knows that answer from last year--ouch, ouch, ouch!

Congrats so much to the Utes, and the great Utah fans who come to OBD forum.  You deserve it!

Thank you Charles.. This is a message board I a lot of other fan bases could stand to copy (format alone if nothing else).  Good luck wherever y'all end up bowling.  Now if only the Pac1- can win some of their damn bowl games! LOL

• Haha 1