Charles Fischer

Ashford's Plan for Football and Baseball: "He's Been Impressive so Far"

This is quite interesting in the coordination taking place between the football and baseball programs with Robby Ashford.  He is at a position in baseball that might allow for cross-over a bit easier?  It depends on his hitting; can he hit a curve ball?  (The killer for Dennis Dixon and why he came back to football full-time)

Oregon QB Robby Ashford has Plan to Balance Football and Baseball by 247Sports
Image result for Robby Ashford twitter

Robby Ashford in a BASEBALL uniform!

Mr. FishDuck

Good to see BA giving both sports his best shot. Self discipline is key.

I’m glad and a little surprised that he will participate in all the football activities. Do you suppose the football coaches gave him any other choice?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kentduck said:

I’m glad and a little surprised that he will participate in all the football activities. Do you suppose the football coaches gave him any other choice?

He's just taking a different transfer portal. 

Nice article on how a student athlete who wants to play two sports is supported at the University of Oregon. He isn't the first and hopefully will joined by another two sport athlete soon! If you have a dream come to Oregon to make it come true.

Personally I am a bit surprised on the focus of football. I don't like his chances of seeing much time on the field......if any in that sport.

On the other hand he could be one of the best baseball players the Ducks have ever had and be a top draft pick.

I have often pondered why athletes pick football over baseball. From a media hype standpoint it makes sense, but other than that and the potential for slightly bigger paychecks it doesn't make sense to me. 

Baseball offers a much more sustainable path for the human body to age and provides less but still comparable pay days. I mean after you're making over a million a year it all seems like excess. How many mansions, yachts and rolls royce can one human enjoy.

Edited by C J

I'd suggest taking a look at his Poly Bowl performance and his HUDL tape.  He demonstrates better mechanics than TT, but perhaps doesn't have the velocity. That could be a factor of "touch" by RA or a matter of the slingshot windup taken by TT.  It would be difficult to argue with RA's powerful arm given he is a baseball outfielder.  This would bear a comment by a qb coach.  RA is apparently a better athlete than TT and has a year in the system.  So I wouldn't count him out as seeing action next season.

11 minutes ago, Mudslide said:

So I wouldn't count him out as seeing action next season.

Hope I am wrong in my assessment and he starts every game at QB next season. If he can lead the team to the promise land then I am all for him doing that. 

But my research has led me to believe that Thompson has the higher ceiling.

2 hours ago, C J said:

Baseball offers a much more sustainable path for the human body to age and provides less but still comparable pay days.

A great example of this is Kyler Murray, at the professional level. He was drafted by the Oakland A's, but decided to sign with the Arizona Cardinals of the NFL. Mike Trout makes  alot of money, and Fernando Tatis, Jr. just signed a $300 Million deal with the San Diego Padres.  from sportingnews.com

I doubt too many 18 year olds are thinking about what is sustainable. They are invincible and the world is theirs for the taking. The wisdom you speak of comes from experience, and the saying goes, experience comes from bad decisions. I also applaud the young for taking the opportunity to take a chance and make some bad decisions!

I would also say there is no experience like being the guy, qb, on a D1 team with a chance at glory. Just about every teen I have known is looking, maybe, at tomorrow, not the next ten plus years. Go for it, Mr. Ashford, live the life you dream about, no regrets!

• Thumbs Up 1