DazeNconfused

Is Chip Lindsey Oregon's New OC?

With the rumor the hire is being announced this weekend and the speculation the new OCs current team is playing this weekend...

Enter Chip Lindsey the current UCF OC for Gus Malzahn. I wrote Monday we could see a surprise hire off the coaching tree Dilly is from. - this fits that bill!

Lindsey spent two years as the Auburn OC for Malzhan. Dilly spent a year at Auburn under Malzahn and the offense is a close variant to Mike Norvell's. Dilly was the OC at Memphis and FSU under Norvell.

Chip Lindsey is 48 and was the HC at Troy from 2019 - 2021 and went 15-19 in his only head coaching tenure. He's been a OC-OB coach or head coach since 2014. 

Lanning hires Lindsey and the offensive scheme changes very little. Lindsey has his first bigtime power-5 gig as an OC since 2018 at Auburn and gets to call his own plays. Lindsey didn't go to UCF long term to sit behind Malzhan calling the plays.

These offensive coaches off the Todd Graham coaching tree are a Tribe - Gus hired Chip to give him a spot for a year until he makes his next move. 

This hire makes tons of sense. Malzahn is going to give Lanning a good referral, Dilly may have even suggested the hire. Hire Lindsey and he could step in and run our offense in the bowl game if we wanted. 

FISHDUCK.COM

New 32-year-old OC Kenny Dillingham's age is making Oregon fans ask "how can he have the experience and acumen being so...

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

The continuality on offense would make a lot of sense. Perhaps it convinces Bo to come back for one more year and keeps Dante a Duck. 

Garrett Riley’s TCU also played today. 

He's 48...isn't that way too old?    (Tongue-in-Cheek)

Lindsey named Offensive Coordinator, QB Coach at UCF ...

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, OregonDucks said:

The continuality on offense would make a lot of sense. Perhaps it convinces Bo to come back for one more year and keeps Dante a Duck. 

The continuality is huge for development for the young OL guys who will be taking over next year, Coach Klemm doesn't have a new install for them to go through. 

This would actually be a really smart hire for Lanning to make as the entire offense won't throw away the base they built this year with Dilly. It's Dilly 2.0

UCF was #9 in total offense this year. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 12/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, cartm25 said:

First play of UCF v Tulane game was a designed run behind the center.

The first time Oregon ran it against Washington was wide open for a 10 yard touchdown.  But is a third time a smart call?

How many times did Chip run it again that game...I wonder?

And yes, if you are a dynamic OC...you should not have to run your QB between the tackles ever, except for QB sneaks, IMHO.  Too much risk, as Oregon proved my point.

Better have your article ready 🙂

Let's not malign people for a difference of opinion; in fact you or anyone are welcome to write articles...we need more writers!

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, Charles Fischer said:

And yes, if you are a dynamic OC...you should not have to run your QB between the tackles ever, except for QB sneaks, IMHO.  Too much risk, as Oregon proved my point.

Furthermore, don't do it in an empty set!!!! There are only two things that could happen... QB pass or QB run. Way too easy to defend a running quarterback who wants to run this way. 

At least put a runningback back there to fake a handoff or do a zone read or something! 

• Thumbs Up 2

He’s 48 and still hasn’t learned not to run his QB up the middle. First play of UCF v Tulane game was a designed run behind the center.

I already said in the first post of the thread Malzahn calls his own plays, always has as a head coach. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thanks 1

If Oregon is going to run an offense that features QB runs, then we are going to need to develop QB depth. That’s why losing Butters is a real downer. 

• Applause 1

On 12/3/2022 at 6:24 PM, OregonDucks said:

If Oregon is going to run an offense that features QB runs, then we are going to need to develop QB depth. That’s why losing Butters is a real downer. 

If we are going to run an offense that features QB runs, many of the most successful offenses do now (even in the the NFL), then Butters was probably the QB we could most afford to lose.

Hate to lose anyone, and love Butters as a pocket passer, but a mobile QB that is at least a threat to run makes the offense a lot harder to defend.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, OregonDucks said:

I am baffled by this here.  As much as Oregon ran Bo, or Bo Optioned himself as AB did last year, IMHO.  WHY would you not have a capable back up as the likely hood of injury to the Signal caller is greater.  In NO Manner, did any of TT appearances in games appear to be that of an athlete ready or capable of filling in for an injured QB.  From what I saw on the Field, I find it hard to swallow that Ty showed this type of performances in practice and is backed up by his absence for an injured Bo.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, OregonDucks said:

I'm sure there are plenty of QB transfers with experience that would like to come to Eugene. 

On 12/3/2022 at 8:43 PM, VegasDuck said:

I'm sure there are plenty of QB transfers with experience that would like to come to Eugene. 

QB transfers that are okay sitting behind another top QB transfer?

There are rumblings that Chip Lindsey is difficult to work with.  I'm not sure if this has any merit but, hopefully, Lanning does a thorough job vetting OC candidates because the last thing we need is strife among the Oregon coaching staff.

On 12/4/2022 at 12:04 PM, OregonDucks said:

There are rumblings that Chip Lindsey is difficult to work with.  I'm not sure if this has any merit but, hopefully, Lanning does a thorough job vetting OC candidates because the last thing we need is strife among the Oregon coaching staff.

Brian Kelly referred to him as a "hard butt".

On 12/4/2022 at 12:04 PM, OregonDucks said:

When Norvell left ASU in 2015 to take the Memphis job Todd Graham hired Chip Lindsey. The day he was announced he joined in the ASU practice as they were in their third practice for their bowl game. I'm going to put my faith in Graham and Gus Mahzahn who has hired Chip twice - not into grumblings. I can find someone to say bad about everyone.

Mike Norvell is a disciple of Malzahn and Dilly was a disciple of both. Chip can step in already know most of the terminology. 

Do you know where Dan Lanning was in 2012 and 2013? He was at ASU under Todd Graham as a GA and recruiting Cord.

Do you know where Dan Lanning was in 2016 and 2017? He was at Memphis under Mike Norvell as his inside backers coach. 

Lanning hired Norvell's young disciple in Dilly. It's not a stretch he does what Graham did and hires off the same offensive tree with Lindsey. 

After's Dilly's first year as a OC he went and spent a year as OC under Malzhan and then back to Norvell for two years at FSU.

Lanning hiring Malzahn's two time OC makes lots of sense. He gets a 48yo Vet  OC-QB coach that is the same dude Graham brought in back in 2015.

BTW- Lindsey has worked for Malzahn three times. He was an OA in 2012. In 2017 Gus poached him as OC from ASU and Graham and this year he was at UCF with Malzahn as OC

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

On 12/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, McDuck said:

Brian Kelly referred to him as a "hard butt".

Dude you got the wrong Chip. This is about Chip Long not Chip Lindsey.

• Thanks 1

DNC,

Love this about you.  You have a great amount of information for OBD to Ponder and you spill it like it is Cliff Notes.  Your Passion, for the Ducks is not in doubt.  I enjoy and look forward to subjects you ponder and provide for us, thank you sir.

I don’t understand why being on the Gus Malzahn or Todd Graham coaching tree is something we should want for our next OC. 

I don’t care if GM and TG used the identical system as we did last year, both dramatically washed out of the power 5, and Graham was accused of maltreatment after leaving HI.

These aren’t coaching trees, they’re ground cover. 

• Applause 1

Don't give me too much credit. I knew Malzahn and Norvell were of the Todd Graham coaching tree and its a huge tree on the offensive side that have been HC's. 

So I did an article and the research is still somewhat fresh. 

I actually should have put Chip Lindsey in my Monday OC article. 

I did say we could see a surprise hire off the same tree as Dilly's and that could be a up and coming young coach on a sub branch of the head coaches in my article. 

It could be someone under Billy Napier when he was at Louisiana that moved elsewhere or went to Florida this year. It could be someone off the Silverfield branch at Memphis.

Or someone off the Spavital who is at Texas State.

How would Lanning find that guy? By asking that Tribe of coaches. That coaching tree really look out for each other and if they won't hold a disciple back from moving up and getting their shot. 

On 12/4/2022 at 3:42 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I don’t understand why being on the Gus Malzahn or Todd Graham coaching tree is something we should want for our next OC. 

I don’t care if GM and TG used the identical system as we did last year, both dramatically washed out of the power 5, and Graham was accused of maltreatment after leaving HI.

These aren’t coaching trees, they’re ground cover. 

Our last OC was off that tree.

Gus washed out at UCF with the #9 in total offense FBS this year, ya it wasn't a power-5. But Gus has offensive chops.

Norvell at FSU has the #13. Dilly the #4, Spavital at North Texas has the #20.Napier at Florida has the #32. Silverfield was #42

Thats six in the top-42 off that tree. I'll take Chip Lindsey

You want explosive offense then the offensive coaches off the Todd Graham tree are your guys. What does Graham's last year baggage have to do with them? 

WWW.NCAA.COM

Discover the current NCAA FBS Football leaders in every stats category, as well as historic leaders.

Edited by DazeNconfused

Thanks for the lively retort, @DazeNconfused .  I will reply w the same verve…

On 12/4/2022 at 3:57 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Our last OC was off that tree.

Obviously, otherwise why would it even be a topic on this forum?

Thats six in the top-42 off that tree

There are 34 other coaches in the top 42 that are more interesting. 

Dilly the #4

Dilly’s offense couldn’t beat the Beavs and only looked dominant against Colorado and the P12 bottom feeders.

Dilly couldn’t coach a backup to be better than a gimpy starter and couldn’t scheme his way to overcome a gimpy starter. 

What does Graham's last year baggage have to do with them? 

When the roots rot, the tree dies. 

I would rather we get some fresh perspective.

But I appreciate yours!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2022 at 4:52 PM, cartm25 said:

What team and year should we look at to get the best sense of what offense Chip Lindsey might bring to Oregon if OC?

I’m more interested in Lindsey’s individual performance than who he’s rubbed shoulders with in the past.

Here’s what I’ve been able to gather from his stops either as OC or HC:

2014 - Southern Miss - 20.0 ppg

2015 - Southern Miss - 39.3 ppg

2016 - Arizona State - 33.3 ppg

2017 - Auburn - 33.9 ppg (Malzahn calling plays)

2018 - Auburn - 42.8 ppg (Malzahn calling plays)

2019 - Troy - 34.0 ppg

2020 - Troy - 27.4 ppg

2021 - Troy - 22.8 ppg

2022 - UCF - 34.4 ppg (Malzahn calling plays)

You said this hire would make a lot of sense. Perhaps if the most important criteria were being closer to 50 than 40, an ability to keep an eye on Lanning, knowing similar offensive terminology, and having rubbed shoulders with the Todd Graham tree.

I’d rather see a coach with a history of high offensive scoring and efficiency for teams HE was calling the plays. Offensive design and play calling are two different beasts.

From the data above, I see an OC that, beginning in 2017, has not been entrusted with play calling duties, even with prior experience doing so. I assume his tenure as HC of Troy did not include play calling. But if it did, YIKES, you wouldn’t want to take credit for that.

Normally I don’t care about age, but given the context, history, and background, the near-50 OC that for the last 6 years hasn’t called plays—and after three years with Malzahn still hasn’t earned the trust to call plays—is the exact type of OC I don’t want.

At this point, Chip Lindsey inspires more heartburn than excitement for me.

Rather than looking like Dillingham 2.0, he looks more like Mari Cristbal 2.0 . . . and to that I say, NO THANKS!

Your cherry picked stats grossly lack context in multiple ways and your facts aren't straight either.

Speaking of Stats - lanning has the worst defensive stats since 2016 at Oregon. Should we fire him?

Malzhan always calls his plays - its not about "trust' as you put it. All good! I'm more than happy to the correct facts for you. 

So. Miss was 1-11 the season before Lindsey came in. He took a group of players that weren't his from scoring 20 points in year one to 39.9 in year two! That's an amazing job! Just thought I'd add that context for you

You know who else besides Lindsey that didn't call plays at Auburn under Malzahn - Dilly. Dilly didn't call plays the three years he was OC for Norvell either. I'm a bit confused you're ok with Dilly never having been a play caller being hired at Oregon, but Lindsey who has called plays is a problem for you? 

As for Lindsey's time at Troy, he did call his own plays. He inherited someone else's players, brought in a new staff with a first year OC. He got fired after the third year as the head coach, and yes the scoring did go down. I'd put the scoring drop more to his head coaching skill and not his OC or play calling chops. 

Malzahn is a offensive Guru, the fact he hired Lindsey speaks volumes - if in your expert opinion that doesn't carry any weight with you,,. Well I will respect that. I'd also offer again how as OC at So. Miss Lindsey took a 1-11 team and increased scoring from year one to two by 19,3 points! 

I'd also point out you've said that you want a young, under the radar OC who you don't know of like Dilly. Well I said yesterday I wouldn't cry over 34yo Garret Riley being hired.

I also said in this thread we could see that young under the radar high come off a Sub-branch of the coaching tree Dilly comes from. I'd guess that would be a disciple of Napier, Silverfield, or Spatival - I'd have to research the guy would be unknown to even me. Yet you've blown right by that and focused on the "age" thing.

It's been a week since I wrote my Monday article where I said I wanted a older OC who has been a HC and could be a mentor to him. Some didn't like that - but I get my opinion and they get theirs. I said this yesterday in the thread you started.

At this point it's been a week since that article and here you are in another thread hung up on the "age" thing with me. I'm over debating it at this point with you.

You have your strong opinion and I have mine - we are not going to agree. 

I feel like I did something that hit a nerve with you and I want to say I'm sorry. You're right and I'm wrong.

Since I'm wrong, and it's been a week of debating about the age of an OC, I'm not going to post on the topic of age anymore. I hope that gives you peace.

I'm going to take the public loss on this issue. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 12/4/2022 at 11:30 PM, cartm25 said:

The ONLY information I presented as FACT was the scoring data (i.e., Year, School, Points Per Game, etc.). Everything else beyond that are my conclusions (i.e., my OPINIONS) based on how I interpret the data.

But, YOU WERE RIGHT!!! The data wasn't "straight". It turns out, ESPN had a "gross" error. Auburn did not score 42.8 ppg in 2018, but in fact scored 30.9 ppg. Just thought I'd add that context for you.

Updated data below **Chip Lindsey called plays unless otherwise noted**:

2014 - Southern Miss - 20.0 ppg

2015 - Southern Miss - 39.3 ppg

2016 - Arizona State - 33.3 ppg

2017 - Auburn - 33.9 ppg

2018 - Auburn - 30.9 ppg

2019 - Troy - 34.0 ppg

2020 - Troy - 27.4 ppg

2021 - Troy - 22.8 ppg

2022 - UCF - 34.4 ppg (Malzahn calling plays)

You'll notice that I updated the data above to indicate that Chip Lindsey called the plays for Auburn in 2017-2018. HE DID . . . IT'S A FACT!! (link to article at the end). Fortunately, I'm more than happy to correct the facts for you.

You accused me of "cherry picking". I presented ALL nine years in which Chip Lindsey was OC/HC and, as it turns out, the play caller for all years except 2022. Looking at ALL the data, I concluded that, on the whole, I don't like what I see. You, however, "picked" 2015 and said, "amazing job" (and rightfully so relative to the year prior) and explained away or dismissed the other 8 years of performance.

Seriously, it's poetic that you accused me of cherry picking, only to have your response be the "text book" definition of cherry picking. 

I was going to use the "quote" feature to respond line by line, but I so thoroughly enjoyed responding to your first few lines that, I'll let it go.

ARTICLE LINK SHOWING CHIP LINDSEY CALLED PLAYS WHILE AT AUBURN FROM 2017-2018

WWW.MONTGOMERYADVERTISER.COM

Breaking down arguably the biggest news of the Tigers' offseason in terms of comfort, logistics and on-field performance.

I stand corrected and surprised that Malzahn had given up his play calling duties. Thanks for educating me on that one and the work you put into researching to do so. 

• Go Ducks! 1