Flybywire

Dan Lanning Blew It

Sorry but the amout of talent on this team from consective recruiting classes should have at least made the Rose Bowl. This is a collusal failure by Lanning.  It was all handed to him and he botched it all. So he got a top-10 win vs UCLA.

Big Whoop. We always beat UCLA. Losing to your biggest rivals and getting outcoached and outclassed in Atlanta when you had the secrets as an insider is also derelict as a coach. I'm not running around with green/yellow glasses on. I see the coach for what he is and I won't apologize for calling him out. Now we're "getting ready for the Vegas bowl baby."

• Whew! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

Isn’t this very similar to what you’ve already posted a couple of times?  

All roughly the same and you haven’t been on the site even two weeks?

We GOT it.

Don’t come here just to vent…

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 9
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Dan Lanning, while very young, needs the experiences to become the HC for the Long Term.  I would take him and his first year record over a Mario type coach any day.  Short term, he disappointed you, I get it.  Long term, He has shown the potential to make Ducks very proud, in what was a coaches rebuilding year.

Lincoln Riley a veteran head coach lost to a GREAT Coach and Team in UTAH, twice the second time, not even close.  The Pac-12 has some legitimate teams this year, Washington and Ore St did a great job in the Portal and developing.  Give them credit for coaching up their players and not making the mistakes a young coach made.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Yes, well almost blew it. Next week will be his first birthday as a head coach. He can blow out the candle then. 

You know what they say the best thing about freshman is, they become sophomores. Next season Coach Lanning will be a sophomore, 2nd year as a coach. I look forward to the amazing growth that a second year head coach makes.

baby-boy-in-bow-tie-and-braces-at-1st-birthday-cake-smash-party-2BBP2NW.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/4/2022 at 12:20 AM, Flybywire said:

This is a collusal failure by Lanning.

No, not even close to a colossal failure by Lanning.

Purchasing an $11,000 sky box to watch the Ducks play a game they aren't playing might be, though.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/4/2022 at 7:04 AM, nw777b said:

No, not even close to a colossal failure by Lanning.

Purchasing an $11,000 sky box to watch the Ducks play a game they aren't playing might be, though.

I think that was the deposit on the sky box, hopefully refundable, or at least transferable, resellable. 

Coach Lanning did take some chances that were head scratchers and he will learn from them.  But I think I think he is more guilty of over enthusiasm and belief in his players than incompetence.  

I think you must agree that is more exciting  than run it up the middle two or three times and then punt that I have seen complained about time and again regarding the old staff.

You have a lot to look forward to in the coming seasons, at least in my opinion.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/4/2022 at 4:40 AM, EzDucksIt said:

Dan Lanning, while very young, needs the experiences to become the HC for the Long Term.  I would take him and his first year record over a Mario type coach any day.  Short term, he disappointed you, I get it.  Long term, He has shown the potential to make Ducks very proud, in what was a coaches rebuilding year.

Lincoln Riley a veteran head coach lost to a GREAT Coach and Team in UTAH, twice the second time, not even close.  The Pac-12 has some legitimate teams this year, Washington and Ore St did a great job in the Portal and developing.  Give them credit for coaching up their players and not making the mistakes a young coach made.

And Rileys record in Bowl games and other big games is dismal at best.

• Applause 1

At the start of the season most of us would have taken 9 wins as a good season not a failure. Once we all saw Bo play we definitely thought we could make the rose bowl and if Bo doesn’t get hobbled we would be in the college football playoff maybe ranked #3. 

Granted we lost a couple games to our rivals and that caused most of us to scream at the television several times, especially me. To call the season a flop is more than inaccurate.

We will soon see how the players respond to this coach and his staff when we play in our bowl game whatever it might be. If the boys show up and give it their best effort then we will know what kind of coach and players we actually have.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 12/4/2022 at 8:21 AM, Just Ducky said:

Granted we lost a couple games to our rivals and that caused most of us to scream at the television several times, especially me.

You are definitely not alone. Good thing my TV is deaf. 🙉

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sure Lanning blew it. Needless gambles when you already have momentum spells disaster. When all heck is breaking loose maybe calm and steady David Shaw type coaching may be better than rolling the dice. This was a learning year for him and the cost of his education was a trip to the playoffs. Ouch!

Still this year was playing with house money. Until the defense gets solid, they are not winning a playoff game or an NY6 game.  Shore up the D, get a good OC, learn from mistakes and move forward. In a year when half the Pac was top 25 caliber, the Ducks were still just two 4th qtr melt downs away from the playoffs with a bad D and a first time head coach. The glass is much more than half full.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My FishDuck Friends,

Part of the hassle-factor of maintaining the forum is the ton of time dedicated to keeping it clean of trollers.  We get LOTS of fans from other schools who will try to appear as if they are an Oregon fan, and then come in to blast negative and add to our misery.

And we have four people over the past two years who have an OCD affliction with posting extreme negative over-and-over. Even when banned--they can return through clever means and sign up again.  And starting a nasty-negative post at midnight is one of the tactics of one of those banned in the past.  So at 1:30 in morning I had to post a response when I got up to go to the restroom--to let him know--we don't allow venting.

Having a safe place to post requires a ton of effort, and yet even with all the work--the forum is extremely fragile.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/4/2022 at 12:20 AM, Flybywire said:

Sorry but the amout of talent on this team from consective recruiting classes should have at least made the Rose Bowl. This is a collusal failure by Lanning.  It was all handed to him and he botched it all. 

I don't think Lanning blew it at all.  There were two things that ruined our season, the first being Bo getting hurt.  Had he not, we would have marched into the endzone vs UW and lead by 10 with a few minutes to play.

The second was the botched punt vs OSU along with the still injured Bo.  Had Bo been his normal self, we would have handled OSU easily.

If those two things hadn't happened, we wouldn't be having this conversation about Lanning as we'd be 11-1.  Those 4th down calls in both games likely wouldn't even have existed, and Lanning would have looked like a hero.  Losing those two games by a total of 7 points with a gimpy QB and an unfortunate dropped punt in the endzone is not a "colossal failure".

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I always recommend to myself to never drink and post after 1:30 AM. 

But that's just me. 

Go Ducks!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Lanning blew it alright. Yeah he brought in Dilly who brought in Bo. What a terrible mistake that was. (Sarcasm)

Lets face it it wouldn't of mattered who Oregon hired, even Saban or Harbaugh would've lost to GA in the opener.

Take away that game and stick Pst or Montana St and the Ducks are 10-2. Last I saw there's probably 110-115 teams that wish they could be 10-2. And probably 100+/- that wish they were 9-3.

Only 2 schools are undefeated in the FBS. 

MI and GA, both of which have veteran coaches with more experienced staff. Hard to  compete against that. Yes losses hurt but I see nothing but upside moving forward for the Ducks. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I could say a lot of bad and I could say a lot of good but no true Ducks fan that I know is going to call losses to both rivals a successful season, but I really cant blame it all on Lanning as I saw our D pretty much give up the last few minutes of the Civil War--or whatever you want to call that game. Here's to a better 23.

As an old friend use to say, " Offense sells tickets and Defense wins Championships"

• Applause 1

Well everybody is entitled to their feelings and opinions, especially when you are home on this forum.

Just can't share or support that opinion Coach Lanning just blew it. Were coaching mistakes made? Of course there were. Just for reference Coach Saban and his 5 ☆ studded players could easily have 4 losses. Out of character poor coaching decisions and lackluster player performance crept into Tuscaloosa....

Mistakes happen, players fail to execute and games get lost. I like that DL takes chances and risks. The Ducks went 9-3 not 3-9. Thats a level of success no matter the yardstick you measure by.

MC would have gone 6-6 or 7-5 with his middling offensive numbers. No Coach who took the team from 34 points a game average to over 40 points a game, blew it. DL and Dilly lifted the scoring average by a touchdown per game. Well done.....

Forum members, IMHO, we have the makings of a great Coach. He salvaged last years recruiting class, assembled a darn good staff and should ink a top 10 class later this month.

Rest assured DL will keep taking risks and that may bring home a natty.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think you could say that every coach of a really good team that isn't undefeated "blew it."   

Why?  Because his team wasn't good enough to go undefeated.  Whether the issue with the loss(es) was risks that didn't pan out, bad play calls at key moments, a game plan that didn't work well against an opponent, failure to recruit a great QB, failure to have his team ready to play in a loss, failure to recruit depth, failure to hire great assistants, failure to keep some great players from the portal or attract great players from the portal, whatever.

The Ducks failed to have dependable backup QBs, had a porous defense, and had some risky decisions backfire.

So yes, Lanning blew it.  So did Saban, Day, Sweeney, Kelly (both Brian and Chip), Riley, Fisher, Wittingham, DeBoer, and every coach not named Harbaugh or Smart.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I do not mind the post. A provocation can stimulate thinking. Of course, whether the thinking that it provoked is of any value is for readers to judge. 

1. Considering the favorable schedule, the capable and experienced offensive line, the presence of at least three star quality players on the defense, and the surprising performance of Bo Nix, I think some optimism was in order.

2. Most championship teams have some close calls and need a little luck. The narrow escape at Pullman does not bother me. 

3. DL's strategy for the U of W game was sound. The ground attack was crushing the Huskies until the errant snap. However, I do think the call on the next play, in which Nix was hurt, was too predictable. That said, the hit on Nix was unsportsmanlike, and was not punished. 

4. As I said in another thread, the costliest plays against the Beavs were the failures on kick returns that left us with poor field position. The returner ought to have been under strict orders to take a fair catch. I fault DL for that much more than his going for it on fourth down later. As others have pointed out, our defense could not stop OSU's runs at that point, anyway. 

Good play by our opponents and bad luck played large role in these losses, but the coaches' decision were also a factor. I remain hopeful about DL as a coach, but I do think he and his staff bear some responsilbity for the two losses, both of which were games the Ducks probably ought to have won.  

• Thumbs Up 2