Charles Fischer

Ty Thompson "Turned Tyler Shough's Head?"

Now this is speculation, but this is not the first time it has happened at Oregon, and they covered it in the article.  If it is true, it might be another indication of Tyler's diminishing confidence?

Oregon freshman QB Ty Thompson may Have 'Turned Tyler Shough's Head' by 247Sports

Tyler Shough_Eugene Johnson.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

This will be the only comparison made between Darron Thomas and Tyler Shough, of course DT was much more accomplished when his head was turned by Marcus.

Thompson is really disciplined mechanically. On the 3 & 5 step drops without fail he sets his base and drives the ball with his legs & core.

On the roll-outs he rarely fails to stop & set his base. Pretty impressive for a HS kid. Very polished.

You'd like to see him raise the the ball closer to his shoulder-level at the ready position. He still has a little baseball windup where he starts his throwing motion from his hip, rather than his ear. But other that, he's really solid. His feet are pretty quiet, he's not bouncing around in the pocket.

We'll see if he can make the jump from 4A HS ball to D1 college ball and how long it takes. Sometimes that adjustment coupled with the college game being more complicated, slows the clock down in their head to where they can't compete the first year. 

Edited by ChicoDuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

Love your talent analysis ChicoDuck....always.  Good stuff to watch for!

Image result for Ty Thompson twitter

Set his base....

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't think Brock Purdy beating him for the 5th straight time helped either. I hope Tyler is able to move on from his high ratings and make the impact he wants. Oregon went with the highly rated qb, and let the scrappy kid go to another school. 

Actually most schools looked past Brock, Alabama wanted him to walk on as a preferred. They saw the talent, but Oregon just went with the ratings and didn't see the potential.

Who is going to be the scrappy gamer out of who is left on the roster? We need somebody who has 'it.'

It was just too coincidental not to realize this is why Shough pulled the plug. 

The question now becomes how many other heads will be turned and lead to entry into the portal......Ashford? Butterfield?

Does anyone want to be a backup QB in this day and age? Not likely. Seems like Brown is willing to at least for one more year, but perhaps he wins the spot this season.

If I were Cristobal though I would go with Thompson right from the get go this year realizing he will have failures and the team may lose several games. I would play for the longer term success of the team though. The real potential is in 2022 and more specifically 2023.

2 hours ago, C J said:

It was just too coincidental not to realize this is why Shough pulled the plug. 

The question now becomes how many other heads will be turned and lead to entry into the portal......Ashford? Butterfield?

Does anyone want to be a backup QB in this day and age? Not likely. Seems like Brown is willing to at least for one more year, but perhaps he wins the spot this season.

If I were Cristobal though I would go with Thompson right from the get go this year realizing he will have failures and the team may lose several games. I would play for the longer term success of the team though. The real potential is in 2022 and more specifically 2023.

If I was TT, I wouldn't sleep on RA.

Freak athlete.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another item is if you are a back-up to a dual threat qb, you are one play away from being the starter. 

The real question is do the athlete's think they are getting developed well at Oregon? In the past we have turned out a Heisman Trophy winner and the NFL ROY. If we see too many transfer's then maybe they aren't getting developed? I think the support is there, the competition is just getting more fierce.

Also the O-line is extremely good, the RB help is improving, the WR's talent is elevating too. If I was an elite qb I would stay, and work hard for the opportunity. Something special is about to happen at Oregon!

2 hours ago, ChicoDuck said:

If I was TT, I wouldn't sleep on RA.

Freak athlete.

I was going to say the same thing about sleeping on Butterfield.  He's got Justin Herbert size, top 5 pro QB  and a high end 4* recruit.  Plus he's already had a season learning Moorhead's offense.

Unless you have an absolutely killer arm, I don't think PRO Qb's will get much run in this offense. 

If this was the case it would be great news. I don’t think that Thompson has had the opportunity to scare away any of his competition. There haven’t been any practices, just weights and conditioning. Unless Thompson benched 400 pounds and then bullied Shough next to his locker. I think the likelier scenario is that Cristobal and Moorhead know Shough’s ceiling and floor, and they were candid with him that he likely won’t ever start another game at Oregon. Spring football is (hopefully) starting soon and the coaches didn’t want to waste reps on Shough. 

1 hour ago, RatherBe said:

the coaches didn’t want to waste reps on Shough. 

Reading that made me wince, but both those guys have been around a ton of successful QBs, (Moorhead was a QB himself) and in the end....it is the kindest thing to do so Tyler can get a fresh start elsewhere.

Tyler Shough_Eugene Johnson (2).jpg

A high percentage of my photos from this short season have No. 12 in them....and people will not want to see them in future articles or posts.  So I have to get some mileage out them while I can!

Mr. FishDuck

I am amazed at the conviction of so many that after only 6 or 7 games you are so sure TS can't cut it at the D1 level.

I think he was not given a fair shot. The Fiesta Bowl coaching was a confusing debacle. Yes, the Cal game was not good, but that defense stymied NFL ROTY Herbert last year.

There just isn't enough game evidence to make a fair analysis of what the ceiling is on Shough. Especially from the weird 2020 season.

I hope he lands at a good place and has a monster career. And proves to the naysayers we judged too early.