Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon Names UTSA's Will Stein as Offensive Coordinator

This was just on Oregon Bleacher Report and few other Twitter accounts

Oregon expected to hire UTSA's Will Stein as OC

WWW.ON3.COM

Oregon is expected to UTSA co-OC Will Stein as its new offensive coordinator, sources tell On3.

• Applause 1

REPORTS: Oregon to hire UTSA's Will Stein as offensive coordinator

Stein, 33, has been at UTSA since 2019, moving from passing game coordinator to co-OC in 2022.

The last two seasons at UTSA have placed them inside the top 15 in the FBS in points per game.

The Roadrunners finished ninth in total offense this season, averaging 486.1 yards per game. Frank Harris, UTSA's quarterback

this season, threw for over 3,800 yards and 30 touchdowns. The Roadrunners had two receivers finish with over 900 yards receiving.

247SPORTS.COM

According to Matt Zenitz of On3.com, Oregon is expected to hire UTSA's Will Stein as its offensive coordinator following the...

• Applause 1

Young, 33, and brilliant, 9th ranked offense, checks all the boxes for Lanning. QB coach too, so that box checked too. I do like that he got his masters degree while beginning his coaching career. Interesting choice, if he is the guy.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

WATCH: Will Stein Video as he talks some of his ideas (read the page on screen first)

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

I like what he said about tempo... 

Setting the pace of the offense and using Tempo as a weapon. Uptempo all the time isn't really a thing anymore but controlling the tempo is a big deal. I feel the Dillingham offense could at times be a bit too slow and get the offense out of rhythm by being slower. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait and see if this is legit. Checks a few boxes:

Young and bright (it seems).

Successful offense at UTSA

Former D1/P5 QB

QB developer

Coached Texas QB Hudson Card in

HS who is now in the portal

In UTSA's Will Stein, Dan Lanning and the Ducks are potentially getting a rising star at OC

In a way, Stein fits the coaching model that Lanning has brought to Oregon; a young, up-and-coming guy

that has shown promise at previous stops, and is ready to thrive at a higher level.

After playing QB for the Louisville Cardinals for 4 seasons from 2008-2012, Stein started his coaching career,

moving up through the ranks from graduate assistant at Louisville to quality control coach for the Texas Longhorns.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning is bringing in a 33-year-old OC to run Oregon’s offense. Who are we to say that Will Stein can’t follow in Kenny...

On 12/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, David Marsh said:

Setting the pace of the offense and using Tempo as a weapon. Uptempo all the time isn't really a thing anymore but controlling the tempo is a big deal. I feel the Dillingham offense could at times be a bit too slow and get the offense out of rhythm by being slower. 

I agree. The ducks would move the ball down the field with a nice flow and when they got into the red zone Dilly would try to get tricky or change the play causing the offensive line to false start and kill or slow the drive. Maybe this guy will do better at that.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who is Will Stein? 5 things to know about Oregon's new offensive coordinator

Stein has just one season’s experience as an offensive coordinator but in that one season,

the Roadrunners took off to an 11-2 record and a berth to the Duluth Trading Co. Cure Bowl in Orlando.

UTSA ran a very similar offense to what the Ducks ran this season, which might have been the

deciding factor in hiring him. There shouldn’t be a big transition for the current players.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

What are the Ducks getting in new OC Will Stein? Here’s a quick look into his coaching resume.

BREAKING: Oregon names UTSA's Will Stein as offensive coordinator

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning has announced that Will Stein, now the former offensive coordinator

and quarterbacks coach from Texas San Antonio will be the Ducks’ new OC, replacing Kenny Dillingham.

Like his predecessor, Stein likes to run a spread offense that lets his skill players shine.

Stein will be stepping into a great situation, with a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball to work with in Eugene.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks will hire Will Stein, the former co-OC and QB coach for the UTSA Road Runners as their next offensive...

Listening to Stein talk in that video, he sounds like a lightning quick offensive version of DL. Pushing the ball down the field is a priority. His WRs at UTSA are near tops in FCS for yds gained and TDs. 

One of those stand out receivers is a 6'4" kid named Joshua Cephus. Duck fans should remember his older brother Quintez from the 2020 Rose Bowl. Now with the Detroit Lions he was a wrecking ball WR in that game who gave the very good Oregon secondary fits. 

Not that the younger Cephus will follow Stein to Oregon, but it's fun to look at the connection. I don't know why, but I see this as good karma. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This would indicate that Lanning is not playing it safe with an established name, and would seem to also indicate that Lanning is the decision maker in picking his assistants, for better or worse.

I like the trend to younger coaches: new ideas, and better connections to the players makes sense to me. The game is changing in many ways; time to get new, youthful thinking on the sidelines.

That said, Stein better be good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Does he check this box . . . How soon does Louisville need a new HC?

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/5/2022 at 11:01 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

One of those stand out receivers is a 6'4" kid named Joshua Cephus.

With Thornton leaving we could use another tall wide receiver I feel... 

He sounds great on paper. Might be a great fit at Oregon.

It also looks like he might have just started shaving too. 

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, Steven A said:

More than two years I would hope... we really need to hold onto a coordinator for like 3 years it feels like at this point. I know the age of most coaches being institutions at their schools are long gone... but longer than 2 years would be nice. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Exactly my first thought.  In this day and age of the carousal, I won't expect him to stick around long if OBD continues to be successful offensively.   The next question is:  Will Frank Harris follow him to Oregon, if Nix leaves?

On 12/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, David Marsh said:

But even with only scoring 3 points in the Georgia debacle, Dilly still averaged 40 points per game. 

Edited by Desert Duck

Well assuming he can close on Dante Moore, he looks very impressive and right in the DL mold.  Personally never thought DL would go for a mentor type.

OK now can DL concentrate on getting the defense fixed?

• Thumbs Up 1

Funny you should ask. Louisville HC just jumped to Cincinnati this morning so they are going to hire a new coach asap. And it won't be Stein. Figure three years for success or failure for the new coach before they look to poach Oregon's OC. 

On 12/5/2022 at 12:04 PM, Steven A said:

He doesn't have any Miami connections... does he?

I'm hearing that there may be an HC opportunity there soon.

• Haha 3

On 12/5/2022 at 11:19 AM, noDucknewby said:

Well assuming he can close on Dante Moore, he looks very impressive and right in the DL mold.  Personally never thought DL would go for a mentor type.

OK now can DL concentrate on getting the defense fixed?

Watch the transfer portal for the defensive side of things. The vast majority of defensive players leaving are making way for players that Lanning needs in his scheme to make his defense work. 

He's not kicking them off the team but he is telling certain players that they aren't meeting the standard to see the field and players are opting to leave. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

North Texas vs UTSA | 2022 CUSA Conference Championship | 2022 College Football Highlights

These are highlights from their Conference Championship game played on 12/2/22, UTSA won 48-27.

You can get a feel for some play calls from Will Stein.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon's new OC Will Stein breaks down offensive philosophy

At UTSA, Stein helped an electric offense put up remarkable numbers, leading the Roadrunners

to an 11-2 season that saw them become bowl-eligible.

Now that you’re more aware of who the Ducks are getting, it’s time to dive deeper into the

type of offense that he will be bringing to Oregon.

In short, it shouldn’t look much different from what we saw this past season under Kenny Dillingham.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Run with physicality, get the ball to play-makers, and take shots downfield. That’s what Will Stein wants his offense to do in Eugene.

Three reasons why Will Stein is a good fit to replace Kenny Dillingham as Oregon's OC

Stein's hiring will be officially announced at a later date. For the time being, it's time to learn about

the man who will replace Kenny Dilingham as the school's new top offensive coach.

• --  HE'S FOLLOWED A SIMILAR PATH UP THE RANKS AS LANNING HIMSELF
  • --  HIS OFFENSE AT UTSA WAS AMONG THE BEST NATIONALLY
  • --  HIS OFFENSIVE PHILOSOPHIES ALIGN WITH THE ONES ALREADY IN PLACE AT OREGON

It's also notable that Stein worked with current Oregon tight ends coach Drew Mehringer at Texas during

the 2017 season, giving him some continuity with a current Oregon assistant coach.

247SPORTS.COM

Three reasons why Will Stein is a good fit to replace Kenny Dillingham as Oregon's OC

On 12/5/2022 at 2:04 PM, Steven A said:

I’m hearing Brohm from Purdue. He just won the B1G West and is a former UL QB.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:11 AM, DuckFan93 said:

The next question is:  Will Frank Harris follow him to Oregon, if Nix leaves?

Didn't Stein coach high four star QB and portal entry Hudson Card in high school?  Card was class of 2020 at Lake Travis, the Stein bio says he was OC/QB coach at Lake Travis 2018-19.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fantastic hire, if true.

I mentioned him a few times as an OC option. He runs a prolific offense (top 10 in points per possession), he played QB in college and his starting QB might be a transfer target. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Coach Dan Gamblanning.

Roll them bones Coach.

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, OregonDucks said:

his starting QB might be a transfer target. 

Sounds tasty!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Who? Meh, This is not the hire of a team who wants to make the playoffs. 

On 12/5/2022 at 1:12 PM, VegasDuck said:

At the time, Dilly was a questionable hire as well.  We really knew very little about him, his philosophy, play-calling etc., as his time at Florida State did not move the needle.  We simply knew that Lanning knew him, his background, coaching tree etc.

We once hired an OC, not a HC of a tiny little college...New Hampshire, and did OK with that hire.  I recall at the time of the ridicule from Beaver and Husky fans, so let's learn about him and see what he can do.

I think Danny would tell us...

giphy.gif

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

PODCAST: Reacting to Will Stein's reported hiring as Oregon's new OC

Oregon will reportedly hire Will Stein to be replace Kenny Dillingham as the school's new offensive coordinator.

Erik Skopil and Jared Mack reacted to the news and what it means, including who Stein might bring west.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon will reportedly hire Will Stein to be replace Kenny Dillingham as the school's new offensive coordinator. Erik Skopil and Jared...

Watching lots of UTSA in these parts.  Great offense.  This seems to be a good hire.  

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/5/2022 at 11:53 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I’m hearing Brohm from Purdue. He just won the B1G West and is a former UL QB.

I was hoping Brohm would come to Oregon. He was my first pick. But maybe Stein is a better fit. Seems to be of the mold Lanning is looking for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't really have a strong opinion on this, I guess it's a decent hire, definitely don't think it's automatic home run, would have preferred someone with more experience.  I guess it's at least an easy fit in terms of style.

In regards to the possibility of the UTSA QB coming here potentially, watching the film he seems accurate, but the arm strength is a bit lacking I thought, doesn't mean he can't succeed, but it makes it little harder.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2022 at 11:13 AM, Desert Duck said:

But even with only scoring 3 points in the Georgia debacle, Dilly still averaged 40 points per game. 

The 70 they hung on Eastern helped cancel that out.

• Thumbs Up 2

The big question for me this off season is what happens with the defense especially with all the transfers which I think is needed. 

Myself and others have said before that the offensive side of the ball was pretty damn good most of time. The Ducks just couldn't stop anybody not named Utah.

This guy seems like a good hire. I trust coach on this one.

Anyone know if WS has recruiting chops. Probably not much info on this guy. Going ro have to trust Lanning on this one.

Holy Crap!

In the short video near the top...he says he wants to take deep shots twice a quarter?  (Eight times a game?)

"Under Stein’s tutelage, the UTSA wideouts smashed records and emerged as one of the top groups in the FBS in 2021. Joshua Cephus, De’Corian Clark, and Franklin combined to catch 204 passes for 2,585 yards and 25 TDs and made UTSA one of only three teams (Appalachian State, Ohio State) to have three receivers with at least 50 receptions and 750 yards in 2021."

"This season, Franklin and Cephus combined for 2,085 yards and 20 touchdowns in 2022."

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/5/2022 at 6:13 PM, Log Haulin said:

The 70 they hung on Eastern helped cancel that out.

Remove the Eastern Washington game and leave in the Geogia debacle, and he still averaged 37 points per game. 

On 12/5/2022 at 1:12 PM, VegasDuck said:

Lanning himself was a questionable hire for Georgia that needed a DC when they wanted to make the playoffs. 

Some of these young coaches are tomorrow's super stars they just need the opportunity to prove it. 

Chip Kelly was also a nobody until Bellotti gave him a chance. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/5/2022 at 11:05 AM, David Marsh said:

More than two years I would hope... we really need to hold onto a coordinator for like 3 years it feels like at this point. I know the age of most coaches being institutions at their schools are long gone... but longer than 2 years would be nice. 

Former Louisville QB, Stein may have his ultimate sights set on a HC job there.  How secure is the Louisville HC?  That ought to be some interesting research.  Is he on a seat getting warmer and thereby possibly opening up a job at Louisville in '24?  

A little research here: and yeah, Scott Scatterfield, HC at Louisville, is on a seat getting hotter at Louisville.  No news yet about any firing but this is the school our new Offensive Coordinator Will Stein played QB for.  Don't tell me we've just hired another OC with a possible "dream job" opening up soon?  The latest I could find about Scatterfield's job security was that he was listed in the "Win, of Else" category before the Pitt game.  

On 12/5/2022 at 6:32 PM, Log Haulin said:

I was hoping Brohm would come to Oregon. He was my first pick. But maybe Stein is a better fit. Seems to be of the mold Lanning is looking for.

Brohm is a HC and he’s very much in demand. I doubt he would take a OC job. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

More research, another article just popped up to say that Scott Scatterfield has left Louisville and is going to Cincinnati as their new HC.  So, the HC job at Louisville IS open, now.  Maybe Stein missed the boat and wasn't asked by Louisville so he may be available for Oregon - for at least one year.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:54 AM, McDuck said:

Didn't Stein coach high four star QB and portal entry Hudson Card in high school?  Card was class of 2020 at Lake Travis, the Stein bio says he was OC/QB coach at Lake Travis 2018-19.

Yes Stein was there when Card was at Lake Travis and Card is going to portal to Oregon! lol

No but I'm sure there will be talks with Card.

Chad Morris coached Lake Travis back in the day and won state there with Blaine Gilbert who I think went to Mizz and played under David Yost  the Ducks QB coach Helfs last year and he got drafted. We should have kept David Yost nd made him Marios OC

Texas HS football players and coaches is where it's at!

Edited by DazeNconfused