Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon Names UTSA's Will Stein as Offensive Coordinator

On 12/5/2022 at 6:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Holy Crap!

In the short video near the top...he says he wants to take deep shots twice a quarter?  (Eight times a game?)

That's Traylor's spread tempo off the chad morris tree and his old OC's (been five mins and I forgot his name) pro-style mixed into the TemPro..

The deep shots are the pro-style flavor. LSU with Burrow and Brady had lots of deep balls and routes with that true pro-style. But they had the OL to block it, and QB and WRS. It was a perfect storm

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 12/5/2022 at 7:42 PM, DazeNconfused said:

That's Traylor's spread tempo off the chad morris tree and his old OC's (been five mins and I forgot his name) pro-style mixed into the TemPro..

The deep shots are the pro-style flavor. LSU with Burrow and Brady had lots of deep balls and routes with that true pro-style. But they had the OL to block it, and QB and WRS. It was a perfect storm

I like the idea of at least a half dozen deep shots per game, if the O-line can stand up and the receivers can catch deep passes.  Imagine how that would open up the middle of the field for the screens and the RB's.  Maybe Donte Thornton should reconsider his imminent transfer.  

Eeyore_From YouTube.jpg

Oh my...I can't celebrate a new offensive coordinator.

Like me, he's on his way out...

Mr. FishDuck

"So you're saying, there's a chance?"

Here's hoping OBD can grab the bull by the horns and keep the offensive stampede thundering along... With finesse.

Wouldn't take a huge improvement on D to make Oregon's offense look even better.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:50 AM, woundedknees said:

Wouldn't take a huge improvement on D to make Oregon's offense look even better.

Better D = more ball possessions.  More ball possession = more everything offensive (but hopefully not punts).

• Go Ducks! 1

What did John Canzano think of the Will Stein hire?

I called around after learning that the University of Oregon is hiring Will Stein as the next offensive coordinator. 

One power-five conference head coach told me of Stein: “He’s a stud. He’s won everywhere he has been. Some elite innovation on his film. Best trait is how he uses his players and capitalizes on their strengths.”
Stein, 33, comes to Oregon from the University of Texas-San Antonio. He played his college ball at Louisville under Charlie Strong, among others. He was a star high school quarterback in Kentucky. While at Trinity High School he won three state titles. Stein still holds the school record for touchdown passes (54) in a single season.

What do I think of the hire for Oregon?

Intrigued.

Also, let’s face it — the Ducks need to be a lot better on defense next season or it won’t matter who calls the plays on offense. That was apparent down the stretch this season. Still, I liked a lot of what I heard about Stein. Feels Kenny Dillingham-esque.

Will Stein - UTSA - 3 & 4-Man Spacing Concepts by THSCA | CoachTube

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon's hiring of Will Stein emphasizes an incoming Duck invasion of Texas

Hiring an offensive coordinator that not only comes from a Texas FBS program, but one that has deep ties to the Central Texas area

and around the state, helps further Oregon's clear early agenda to attack the Lone Star State in the class of 2024 and beyond.

The recipe has come together perfectly early on for Dan Lanning in his approach to recruiting Texas: buzz has been

generated, visitors are coming to campus, top schools list feature Oregon at the top or very close to it.

Now, execution comes into play. Hiring a recruiter and a personality like Stein will only help further the final step to that plan.

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

Will Stein became Oregon's new offensive coordinator on Monday after one season at UTSA.
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Will Stein: Responding to great UTSA season

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is official announcement from Oregon Football. 

I wonder if he is here full time because UTSA is in a bowl game Dec. 16.

Oregon officially announces Will Stein as its new offensive coordinator

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's search for a new offensive coordinator is officially over, as the University of Oregon Athletic Department announced the...

• Applause 1

Nice to put that Opening to Bed.  I have the feeling that the other Offensive Coaches are more comfortable at their positions or are for the right schools to become available.  Like that they are sticking with DL and Oregon Football.

A deep dive into what the numbers say about Will Stein's UTSA offenses

Erik Skopil: Earlier this week, I provided a breakdown of why I found Stein to be a suitable hire. The offensive success at UTSA

was a big component of that, as I pointed to how well the Roadrunners stacked up nationally in offensive production.

I wanted to build off that today with a bit of a further deep dive into what the numbers say about Stein.

• --  what his run versus pass preferences have been
  • --  what the progression of the UTSA offense has been from the year before he was hired up until his promotion to play caller
  • --  how some of his figures compare to Oregon's under Dillingham
  • --  some advanced figures to show just how dynamic the Roadrunners were under his guidance

There's some interesting info here...A good read

247SPORTS.COM

A deep dive into what the numbers say about Will Stein's UTSA offenses

• Like 1

Like Coach Prime(Sanders) says "In coaching, you are either Elevated or Terminated".  Coaches need to keep moving, especially young coaches when they are hot to avoid Termination when they are not. Stein moved at the right time, HC is next for him.  Oregon is a great stepping stone for him.  Dilly followed the pattern.