David Marsh

Justin Flowe to the Transfer Portal

WWW.ON3.COM

Oregon redshirt freshman Justin Flowe, a former 5-star recruit and the No. 1 linebacker in the class of 202, has entered the transfer...

I feel this one should hurt more than it does. Flowe is a tremendous athlete but he never really seemed to understand the scheme this year. He was always out of position or hitting someone too late. 

I wish him the best and I also wish he was more impactful in his time at Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh well....

In theory, a big loss. In practice? Not so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

See ya!

Our Ducks won’t look anything like they will next spring so I guess I won’t stress over it till then. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Justin Flowe had that intensity that is fun to watch. But, no one on this team made me say "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING" more often than him. 

He has the athleticism of the college game. But, the game was to fast for his mind. That crazy look we always saw in his eyes often seemed more like confusion than intensity.

I hope he goes to a smaller school and that it allows the game to slow down for him. He just needs more time.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

USC will probably lock him up. I’m curious if his brother stays.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sad that a #1 LB fizzled so greatly. Injury really messed with his development, but he should have been a plug and play player. Sadly, he seemed to have me scratching my head and I don't recall ever being 'WoW'd by his game play. 

I'm really starting to see the benefit of the Portal. There are a ton of NFL players with no stars or at least completely under the radar coming out of HS. Give these kids 2-3 years in College and they, out of nowhere, turn into world beaters. Let someone else develop these kids the first year or two then swoop in with NIL and have a top tier player.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wanted to go into this offseason needing better LB's.  I just didnt know if anyone would unseat Flowe based on senority.  This just makes it easier.  

Should've been a big loss but unfortunately it's not. Kept waiting for his 5*'s to shine but they never did.

Make way for three new!

I think Brown could be pretty good if he gets more game time. The two 2022 LB's recruits in Jackson and Taggert are intriguing with there speed they could really help in pass coverage.

Edited by Dave23

Justin Flowe announces he'll enter his name into the transfer portal

Flowe battled constant injury and a slew of ejections. He had 50 tackles but didn’t record a sack in his three seasons as a Duck.

He also never forced a fumble and only 20 of his tackles were solo. The thing he brought most to the team was that energy.

https://www.dailyemerald.com/sports/breaking-justin-flowe-announces-hell-enter-his-name-into-the-transfer-portal/article_caf3fa50-74e2-11ed-87fc-03bf460e0c7c.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

We still have Bassa who did unseat Flowe from a starting spot completely... not really saying that Flowe had that spot locked in as his own but it was kinda assumed he was going to take control of it but that never happened. Sewell and Bassa kept Flowe as a back-up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of hope, but nope. Best of luck in your next stop!

Feels like a short-sighted decision on his part but good luck to him where ever he lands.

I'm not really quite sure how to feel.

Guy only played 178 snaps but still managed 35 tackles and 2.5 TFL.

Sewell played 601 and had 56 tackles and 5.5 TFL and Bassa played 582 snaps and had 56 tackles and 3 TFL. Despite obviously not putting together a good year, guy was still productive. No real surprise here but I would say probably a net negative.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 1

I'm like a lot of folks. I feel like I should be more disappointed than I am. Wish the young man well but I feel like the whole defensive unit needs to be overhauled.  They never lived up to the potential. 

• Applause 1

On 12/5/2022 at 3:56 PM, AnotherOD said:

Sewell played 601 and had 56 tackles and 5.5 TFL and Bassa played 582 snaps and had 56 tackles and 3 TFL. Despite obviously not putting together a good year, guy was still productive. No real surprise here but I would say probably a net negative.

The stats don't tell the whole story... 

Sewell didn't have any bad penalties and Sewell was better with his assignments.

I do think Sewell is probably a little too big for what Lanning is looking for in the ideal linebacker for his defense. He wants someone who can stop the run and cover. 

Sewell may not fit the mold for Lanning entirely but Flowe hasn't been great about assignments. He has been wild and dangerous in both ways.

• Great post! 1

On 12/5/2022 at 11:24 AM, David Marsh said:

I wish him the best and I also wish he was more impactful in his time at Oregon. 

I agree, he never seemed to live up to the billing he received.  However, I do hope that if he leaves thru the Portal he leave the Conference as well.  No more transfers like Dye's to USC and Dillingham to ASU.  I'd just as soon see these ex-Ducks be ex-Pac-12er's as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:46 PM, Mic said:

I agree, he never seemed to live up to the billing he received.  However, I do hope that if he leaves thru the Portal he leave the Conference as well.  No more transfers like Dye's to USC and Dillingham to ASU.  I'd just as soon see these ex-Ducks be ex-Pac-12er's as well.

I have to admit that I found great solace in Dye not getting a Pac 12 championship ring in garnet and gold. Is that petty? Sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:25 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I have to admit that I found great solace in Dye not getting a Pac 12 championship ring in garnet and gold. Is that petty? Sure.

I'm with ya, man.

"I never said I was noble."

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think Dye was the best linebacker the Ducks have had in quite some time. Even with a busted hand.

• Thumbs Up 1