Quackanadian

Is the Ducks Defense Depleted???

Lots of players lost to the portal, wow! 

I hope Coach DL can get some guys to replace them, but my real question is, where do they think they are going to go? This transfer thing is wild!!!!

I haven't looked at who is leaving. I was assuming that you were asking if they are depleted for the Bowl Game... Maybe.

I'm pretty sure that Lanning and Co. will be able to find any needed replacements in the portal for next year.

This was MariØ's team, with Lanning coaching. Next season we will see Lanning's team.

Again, he was hired as the recruiting season was coming to an end. He did his best to keep the team together.

After a season of trying to put another guys players to work, it is time to see what Lanning can do with his guys. Some of his guys are already on the team, but some just didn't fit his definition of positional players, and or wrong culture guys.

Deion is trying the other method, get rid of everyone the first season, late. It will be interesting how he is able to do. Of course, he starts with a much depleted team, but he has a Herculean task ahead of himself.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, Quackanadian said:

Lots of players lost to the portal, wow! 

I hope Coach DL can get some guys to replace them, but my real question is, where do they think they are going to go? This transfer thing is wild!!!!

Oh, I'm sure he will and does. Oregon seems to be a school a lot of talented players want to be a part of.  Besides, it's not like all the other schools out there aren't struggling with roster changes and transfers, if the research by McDuck is correct.  Over 8200 players entered the Portal last season, a staggering number if you think about it.  Oregon could end up benefitting greatly from the Portal as they did with Bo Nix.

Edited by Mic

On 12/5/2022 at 10:17 PM, Haywarduck said:

This was MariØ's team, with Lanning coaching. Next season we will see Lanning's team.

Not entirely sure I agree with this - will depend a lot on how many guys we get through the portal.  This year, we had portal transfers and freshmen who were Lanning's, and even there, some of the recruits were Mari holdovers, if I'm not mistaken.  Next year, many of the upperclassmen will still be Mari recruits - Lanning's guys will largely be freshmen and sophomores.  I think it may take yet another year before the majority of the team is Lanning's players.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:57 AM, Mic said:

Oh, I'm sure he will and does. Oregon seems to be a school a lot of talented players want to be a part of.  Besides, it's not like all the other schools out there aren't struggling with roster changes and transfers, if the research by McDuck is correct.  Over 8200 players entered the Portal last season, a staggering number if you think about it.  Oregon could end up benefitting greatly from the Portal as they did with Bo Nix.

That is a staggering number...

Lots of these kids will be without a scolly and, potentially, no way to finish their degree... wow...

On 12/6/2022 at 2:07 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Not entirely sure I agree with this - will depend a lot on how many guys we get through the portal.  This year, we had portal transfers and freshmen who were Lanning's, and even there, some of the recruits were Mari holdovers, if I'm not mistaken.  Next year, many of the upperclassmen will still be Mari recruits - Lanning's guys will largely be freshmen and sophomores.  I think it may take yet another year before the majority of the team is Lanning's players.

Agree about the MariØ players, but the ones who fit the culture and ability to play Lanning's type of football will stay, and the others, for the most part are leaving. Lanning did his best to keep the team together as he didn't know who he had.

Seven is the perfect example. Last year Seven entered the portal and Lanning talked him off the cliff. This year the portal entrants don't seem to be getting any attempt to keep them. Some may even be getting consulted it might be best to leave. 

I do think this will be Lanning and the teams sophomore season, not the senior type season we all want. This season was a freshman type season and I came away quite impressed.

• Thumbs Up 2

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Oregon’s lone scholarship senior not to take part in the Senior Night ceremony before last week’s Utah game...

On 12/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, Mic said:

Over 8200 players entered the Portal last season,

This is not the number I have seen.  In the article below, (wrote three days ago) they report over 3,000 in the portal last year, not 8,200.  Where did you get that high of number?

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article269614316.html

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/6/2022 at 8:06 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is not the number I have seen.  In the article below, (wrote three days ago) they report over 3,000 in the portal last year, not 8,200.  Where did you get that high of number?

Good morning Charles.  The number seems improbably high to me as well but I got these numbers from this source:

Coach J.R. Sandlin's Twitter Post - from a post on this forum by McDuck, on Thursday, Nov. 29th, (post #11) under the topic "Transfer Portal: A Listing of Ducks Who Have Entered".  

I also commented later on how this seemed an amazing number given the fact that there are only 132 schools (as I remember) in the CFP system.  Even adding the lower division schools, that's still a lot of players.  The post by Coach Sandlin also listed the percentage of players who actually "placed" which is less than 40%- but still a very high number.

Interesting stat I came across today... Portal players right now only make up 4.2% of total snaps played. 

Get some transfers and some recruits in and some of those who have been backups but are likely to start and I don't think Oregon is in any danger. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2022 at 8:38 AM, David Marsh said:

Interesting stat I came across today... Portal players right now only make up 4.2% of total snaps played. 

Bo Nix, all by himself, must have juiced that number some.  How many snaps do you think he played this year?  I wouldn't have a clue of a guess but if one adds all the offensive snaps O played, subtract about ... ummm ... 25 or so, + -, might be close.  And that's a lot!

On 12/6/2022 at 8:06 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I too read 300 but who really has the accurate number. It is a large on either way with more to come.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:53 AM, Mic said:

Bo Nix, all by himself, must have juiced that number some.  How many snaps do you think he played this year?  I wouldn't have a clue of a guess but if one adds all the offensive snaps O played, subtract about ... ummm ... 25 or so, + -, might be close.  And that's a lot!

This number is players who were playing this last year and are NOW in the portal to leave Oregon. 

Nix is probably around 50% of total snaps played. Didn't have too many snaps with backups this year. 

On 12/6/2022 at 9:41 AM, David Marsh said:

This number is players who were playing this last year and are NOW in the portal to leave Oregon. 

Nix is probably around 50% of total snaps played. Didn't have too many snaps with backups this year. 

I thought it was 'number of snaps by transfers', but regardless, Nix had a lot.  I'd say a lot more than 50% of the offensive snaps, not total snaps, of course.  O didn't punt much nor kick many FG's.  Extra points, yeah, a lot of those.  Gosh, I hope Nix comes back for one more year!