Duck Fan 76

Oregon's 2023 QB?

So I'm of the opinion that Bo's playing in the bowl game to prove he's physically recovered from the ankle injury not because he wants to come back next year.  Barring some serious issues with his draft stock I really believe Bo's going to the NFL.  Which leads me to the topic here, who's going to compete for the QB job in the Spring?  

Dante Moore starting as a true freshman might sound great but I think Dante's upside is best maximized by giving him a full redshirt year to physically change as well as master CFB game speed and the Oregon offense.  For my money I think Hudson Card is coming to Oregon to do in 2023 what Bo did in 2022.  

247SPORTS.COM

Watch the 247Sports Transfer Portal Palooza Show LIVE on the 247Sports YouTube channel, December 5th.

What say you all?

• Wow 1

On 12/5/2022 at 12:54 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

So I'm of the opinion that Bo's playing in the bowl game to prove he's physically recovered from the ankle injury not because he wants to come back next year.  Barring some serious issues with his draft stock I really believe Bo's going to the NFL.  Which leads me to the topic here, who's going to compete for the QB job in the Spring?  

Dante Moore starting as a true freshman might sound great but I think Dante's upside is best maximized by giving him a full redshirt year to physically change as well as master CFB game speed and the Oregon offense.  For my money I think Hudson Card is coming to Oregon to do in 2023 what Bo did in 2022.  

247SPORTS.COM

Watch the 247Sports Transfer Portal Palooza Show LIVE on the 247Sports YouTube channel, December 5th.

What say you all?

That's a heck of a prediction!  👍

I hope Nix will make his decision soon so that Oregon will have more certainty in what they need to do before January rolls around, can't be left wanting a transfer and then have to choose from what is left after all the top guys have already committed.  Right now it looks like they might need one if not two transfers, or they need to pick up a freshmen recruit.  Have to have at least three scholarship QBs on the roster.

• Thumbs Up 1

For my money I think Hudson Card is coming to Oregon to do in 2023 what Bo did in 2022.  

My thoughts went to Hudson Card coming to Oregon as soon as he went into the transfer portal. If our offensive identity in 2023 remains similar to this season's, he would light up the PAC 12 the same way Bo has.

Now that Will Stein is on board this makes as much sense as bringing Bo in when Dilly took the OC job. Card has proven he's not afraid to take downfield shots and is also excellent when scrambling. Dante Moore gets a year to fill out and learn under a genuine QB developer.

This should happen.

Edited by Babyjesus615

This is Card's 2022 play at UT, he was playing hurt when he played this season ironically with a bum ankle that took most scramble ability away...  I mean I look at the Alabama game and I see a really good arm and if he's not hobbled I see Bo...

Whoa!

Going through the bio of Will Stein, and I learn that Stein was the QB coach and OC for the high school that Card played at?

I think you may have...nailed it.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

247SPORTS.COM

What say you all?

I say the beach volleyball-looking guy (Chris Hummer) on the show above is guessing out of his hat on this one.  Yeah, he might be right, but it seems unlikely to me.  Meanwhile, I'm ore interested in who this new hire is for Dillingham's job. Will Stein?

Edited by Mic

On 12/5/2022 at 6:39 PM, Mic said:

Yeah, he might be right, but it seems unlikely to me.

It's a stretch but what convinced me is that Will Stein and Hudson Card have stayed in close contact.  Admittedly San Antonio and Austin are right next to each other but if he's looking to leave UT... and his mentor just got an OC role at Oregon... and Bo Nix exploded this year... and the squirrels that are watching me all the time aren't secretly plotting against me... then maybe just maybe... we have a chance.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a feeling that Coach Lanning is well informed regarding what Nix’s plans are for next year. If Nix’s plan is to leave for the NFL, I’d be surprised if Lanning doesn’t snag  a QB out of the portal. Given the history between Card and Stein, recruiting Card looks like a pretty smart move.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:37 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

It's a stretch but what convinced me is that Will Stein and Hudson Card have stayed in close contact.  Admittedly San Antonio and Austin are right next to each other but if he's looking to leave UT... and his mentor just got an OC role at Oregon... and Bo Nix exploded this year... and the squirrels that are watching me all the time aren't secretly plotting against me... then maybe just maybe... we have a chance.

I'll admit I know next to nothing about Hudson Card, not having even watched Texas play this year.  (I do remember his name being bandied about after that near win over Alabama, tho.)

So, you and the plotting squirrels are of a mind that Card would be a good bet and choice to do what Nix did to resurrect his career?  I thought Texas was on the upswing and getting better.  Nix is not skipping the bowl game O is in so speculation still surrounds his future plans.  Perhaps Card is awaiting Bo's announcement, or he's not interested in transferring, or he is.  Hmmmm.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:37 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Dude, it's not the squirrels you have to worry about. It's those dang raccoons, they're already wearing masks!

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2022 at 6:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Whoa!

Going through the bio of Will Stein, and I learn that Stein was the QB coach and OC for the high school that Card played at?

I think you may have...nailed it.

giphy.gif

There is connecting the dots, putting two and two together, understanding the situation, but this is just plain seeing the big picture. Lanning may be a gambler, but he know a winning hand when he sees it.

royal-flush-on-table-poker-stock-photograph_csp8552969.jpg.webp

Stein's hire certainly does open the possibility of Card's transfer just as Dillingham's hire probably influenced Bo's transfer. But if Bo remains at O for another year, that of course could rule out any transfer by Card to Oregon.  He has declared for the Portal.

However, Card is a redshirt Sophomore this year with two more years of eligibility so, who knows?  Oregon could certainly do worse than to have Card at QB.