Annie

Question About the Transfer Portal

Do players who come to a team through the transfer portal have to wait until signing day, or can they join a new team as soon as player and team agree?

I think the player can start as soon as his first NIL check clears 😉

Just kidding... I really don't know the answer to your excellent question. This stuff has all moved too fast for me to keep up with. My day job keeps getting in the way. 

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, Annie said:

Do players who come to a team through the transfer portal have to wait until signing day, or can they join a new team as soon as player and team agree?

They have to wait until the next season starts ( that is, any portal transfers we get before the bowl game cannot play in the bowl game).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, CountryProf said:

They have to wait until the next season starts ( that is, any portal transfers we get before the bowl game cannot play in the bowl game).

Thanks!

Can they only transfer once?

On 12/5/2022 at 3:46 PM, Lono said:

Just look at Slovis at Pitt. He entered the portal again today. You may remember him from USC.  I'm not sure if he'll have to sit out, though. That would be strange. I just know you don't have to sit out the first time you transfer.

Edited by 2002duck

On 12/5/2022 at 6:46 PM, Lono said:

Someone explained this to me last year. If I remember right, the 1st time into the Portal, you can play right away. If you enter a 2nd time, you have to wait a year. If you are a graduate transfer, you do not have to wait a year. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2022 at 1:55 PM, Annie said:

I believe they need to finish their current term and then they can transfer just like any student. 

So expect most of them in January. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2022 at 8:59 AM, Mic said:

I read somewhere that Slovis is transferring a second time. Because he is doing it as a graduate transfer, he would not have to sit out a year. 

On 12/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I read somewhere that Slovis is transferring a second time. Because he is doing it as a graduate transfer, he would not have to sit out a year. 

Well, then I guess the 'up-side' here would be there won't be a third transfer.  lol

On 12/6/2022 at 3:54 PM, Desert Duck said:

I think the answer to your question is mo NIL money, mo better.

Maybe, but how much NIL money can a guy get when he jumps from team to team?  Maybe he found out the Pro's weren't doing back flips over him and is blaming it on the team he's on, figuring another change is needed.  Good luck with that strategy.