DazeNconfused

Some Scheme Influence Background On New OC Will Stein

Here is some quick info for everyone 

Stein spent the last three years a UTSA under head coach Jeff Traylor - it's Traylor's offense that Stein ran. ( BYW- Traylor is due a power-5 job, he's hot )

Traylor was a really good Texas HS coach who won like 3 state titles - something like that. He had lots of success. Around 2015 he was hired by Charlie Strong at Texas

In 2016 Traylor was named the associate head coach for the offense at Texas and the OC was a 1st year hire who has worked under Phil Montgomery who was Baylor's OC under the offensive legend Art Briles.  That gave some influence of the Art Briles system to Traylor.

Traylor then went to spend few years under Chad Morris who was the man who brought the spread offense to Clemson. Morris got fired from Arky and spent a year at Auburn as Gus Malzahn's OC with Bo Nix as his QB.

I think it was Mr. FishDuck who told me Chad Morris was a Texas HS legend head coach who I believe has been working on adapting Gus Malzahn's for his team. When Malzahn left Tulsa for the OC job at Auburn, the Tulsa head coach Todd Graham hired Chad Morris as his OC even though he had no college experience. 

After Morris got fired from Arky Traylor got the UTSA job. So Jeff Traylor's offense has some Art Briles disciples - Chad Morris influences. 

Traylors old OC and him combined Traylor's tempo spread and his prostyle and named it the TemPro. I think Traylor's old OC was Looney? He left last year I think and Stein got the play calling duties. 

Lastly If I understood Coach Boles right today - Stein has also had Art Briles disciples in his career path. 

If we do a quick coaching Tree. 

Gus Malzahn = Chad Morris + disciples off the Art Briles tree = Traylor's Tempro = Will Stein TemPro

Gus Malzhan = Mike Norvell = Dillingham

So Stein will bring a tempo spread with pro style deeper passing routes - much what Dilly did this year. 

In closing Stein runs a system born of solid roots and both systems are known for teaching the upcoming staff and the staff being good teachers of the players. Stein comes from a proven line. He has only one year as the OC game planning and calling plays - Dilly had four years as an OC game planning but this was his first year calling plays. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice research, DNC. Just hope he works out and O can keep him on staff longer than one or to years.

Traylor's old OC's name wasn't Looney - It's Lunney and I don't know jack about him but for the "TemPro" name he coined with Traylor.

Here is a link to an article about his hire this year. Lunney we can figure had a big influence on Coach Stein the first two years he was at UTSA

247SPORTS.COM

Barry Lunney Jr. has a similar philosophy to Bret Bielema but will bring unique twist to Illini offense

On 12/5/2022 at 7:14 PM, Mic said:

Nice research, DNC. Just hope he works out and O can keep him on staff longer than one or to years.

lol.. I don't have to research much on the Malzahn - Morris - Norvell tree since I did that Dilly coaching tree article.

Fun story. Mr. FishDuck told me the story that after Dabo hired Chad Morris at Clemson that before spring ball Morris came to Eugene to learn spread stuff from the Guru Chip Kelly. 

So the coaching tree could be.

Chip Kelly = Chad Morris = Jeff Traylor = Will Stein our new OC

I don't know anything about Lunney the OC who Stein was just under. I don't know who Coach Boles was getting at the was the Briles disciple Stein was around either. 

I don't know jack about the Briles disciple Traylor was around at Texas either - but Phil Montgomery was at Baylor as Co-OC or OC for a deacade?

Edited by DazeNconfused

I also know that Stein believes more in tempo control as an offensive philosophy rather than straight up-tempo and that also matches our 2022 offense quite well.  I think he's a solid hire for us and he's not super likely to get snatched right away for a HC position but who knows, we thought that about KD.  DL had it right when he said loosing coordinators to HC jobs is a good problem to have because it means your program is envied by others.

To me the biggest question is how QB development progresses.  Stein was a QB at Louisville in the early days of their program so he gets the mindset but can he develop 4 and 5 star QB talent to first round draft status?  I hope so.