FishDuck Article

Expect the Holiday Bowl to Be a THRILLER

Bowl games aren’t what they used to be. In the past, they were high-intensity matchups facing two evenly-matched teams in a game that would play a big role in determining a program’s trajectory moving into the following season. Teams were generally at full strength, and it was the final chance for many college superstars to give a farewell performance before ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Bowl games aren't what they used to be. In the past, they were high-intensity matchups facing two evenly-matched teams in a game that...
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Joshua, over the years the Holiday Bowl has produced some high scoring, exciting games. This year should be no exception.

Both teams strengths are their offenses. Last team with the ball should win this game.

I know very little about UNC's defense. As we all know, the Ducks D was porous and often undisciplined. As a fan I never new what to expect. I guess we will have to see how many more players transfer out prior to the game.

Regardless of who starts for the Ducks, the television will be tuned to the game. Cheering for the Ducks has been a tradition during the bowl season since the Independence Bowl back in the mid eighties.

I don't take the bowl games for granted every year because OBD's didn't always earn a bowl bid. Hopefully the youngsters will enjoy the trip and have a fun, safe game.

Go Ducks.... All is not lost. Ducks got a better bowl invite than the rodents. The dogs lost their Rose Bowl bid and uscsuck didn't get a PAC title (so Dye doesn't get a PAC Title Ring) or a CFP invite........

• Thumbs Up 2

I know our household will be watching the bowl game, even if some big names will sit it out.  It's still nice to see Oregon on TV and playing in December.  Besides, the uniform clash with NC will be interesting. This will be the wife's chief interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

UNC may be the only team worse than Oregon in pass defense and lack of QB pressure.  If we establish a run game and take advantage of their poor pass D and Nix is healthy, we can be the spread easily.  Just a little bit of pressure and we'll do fine.  We thought the same against the mutts though too.

The UNC defense is bad (at least that's what the stat's say).   Oregon's defense isn't much better (though they showed something agains Utah).   Given that both Oregon and UNC have quality quarterbacks that were in the Heisman conversation earlier, I expect a high scoring game.   I think Drake Maye is the real deal and we all know what Bo can do.

I just wonder how bad Oregon's defense will be with the number of starters not playing in the bowl due to transferring out through the portal, or prepping for the NFL.   But the thing I am really intrigued about is UNC's defensive back, Storm Duck.   Storm Duck!   That his parents named him Storm Duck and he isn't playing for the Ducks. but against the Ducks... the commentators are going to have fun with that, especially if he plays well!

This game will come down to the coaching.   Mack Brown is a wily old fox that's been around the block a few times.  He'll have his team ready to play.  Dan Lanning is the young up and comer with a ton of energy, but not quite the experience of Brown.  Will be a really interesting match-up of coaching chops imho.

I think this game will be closer than people think.   If Oregon runs out to a big lead maybe we see Thompson get a shot to run the team...   Here's hoping all the PAC12 bowl teams win out.

I agree with Joshua, this will be a good game... Thriller! 🙂

On 12/6/2022 at 10:31 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Joshua, over the years the Holiday Bowl has produced some high scoring, exciting games. This year should be no exception.

Both teams strengths are their offenses. Last team with the ball should win this game.

I know very little about UNC's defense. As we all know, the Ducks D was porous and often undisciplined. As a fan I never new what to expect. I guess we will have to see how many more players transfer out prior to the game.

Regardless of who starts for the Ducks, the television will be tuned to the game. Cheering for the Ducks has been a tradition during the bowl season since the Independence Bowl back in the mid eighties.

I don't take the bowl games for granted every year because OBD's didn't always earn a bowl bid. Hopefully the youngsters will enjoy the trip and have a fun, safe game.

Go Ducks.... All is not lost. Ducks got a better bowl invite than the rodents. The dogs lost their Rose Bowl bid and uscsuck didn't get a PAC title (so Dye doesn't get a PAC Title Ring) or a CFP invite........

Yes both offenses are great, and the defenses are suspect at best. Should at least make for lots of scoring and big plays, which we all love to see!

On 12/6/2022 at 10:34 AM, Mic said:

I know our household will be watching the bowl game, even if some big names will sit it out.  It's still nice to see Oregon on TV and playing in December.  Besides, the uniform clash with NC will be interesting. This will be the wife's chief interest.

Very good point, both teams have some of the coolest unis in the country!

On 12/6/2022 at 9:02 PM, Skibum said:

The UNC defense is bad (at least that's what the stat's say).   Oregon's defense isn't much better (though they showed something agains Utah).   Given that both Oregon and UNC have quality quarterbacks that were in the Heisman conversation earlier, I expect a high scoring game.   I think Drake Maye is the real deal and we all know what Bo can do.

I just wonder how bad Oregon's defense will be with the number of starters not playing in the bowl due to transferring out through the portal, or prepping for the NFL.   But the thing I am really intrigued about is UNC's defensive back, Storm Duck.   Storm Duck!   That his parents named him Storm Duck and he isn't playing for the Ducks. but against the Ducks... the commentators are going to have fun with that, especially if he plays well!

This game will come down to the coaching.   Mack Brown is a wily old fox that's been around the block a few times.  He'll have his team ready to play.  Dan Lanning is the young up and comer with a ton of energy, but not quite the experience of Brown.  Will be a really interesting match-up of coaching chops imho.

I think this game will be closer than people think.   If Oregon runs out to a big lead maybe we see Thompson get a shot to run the team...   Here's hoping all the PAC12 bowl teams win out.

I agree with Joshua, this will be a good game... Thriller! 🙂

I didn't even think about the storyline with Storm Duck! What a little nugget, and should be a fun little talking point for the crew during the game. I also think the game will be close for what it's worth.

Good article Joshua.  The Holiday seems older than it's 1978 inception. Having always been billed as the number two west coast bowl after the Rose gives it credibility that belies it's youngish age.

I got to attend the awesome win over Texas and the unfortunate defeat to an unranked Oklahoma team. I had to watch us beat the Okie State Cowboys at home, but did quite enjoy making up, "My billionaire can beat up your billionaire" jokes.

I'm hoping that OBD consider this an important trajectory game and show up accordingly. If no one cares enough to win then the game shouldn't be played. I don't ever want to see an Alamo repeat again.

I believe that if the defense can have a good game, it can be an Oregon stomp. Dish has been fighting with the local Fox company and that channel wasn't available last weekend, so I was forced to watch Clemson make North Carolina look pretty bad. And Clemson ain't THAT good. I wouldn't be afraid to play 'em.

With any luck here comes your storm, Mr. Duck...........