cartm25

Bowl Game Question: More Important to Go For Win With Nix OR See What Ty Thompson Has to Offer?

Well, I managed to fit the entire question in the title, but I'll restate with a few more words:

Would you rather the Ducks go for the Holiday Bowl win by having Bo Nix play, OR take on a higher chance of losing, but get to see what they have in Ty Thompson in a full game with meaningful minutes?

I've heard very reasonable arguments about the need for the Ducks to win a bowl game, get momentum, etc.

In this case, I'd rather the game be used to showcase Ty Thompson; it would be very informational.

And the Ducks could still win . . . That would be a Win, Win!

Think if Bo Nix wants to play he should start as he has earned that right.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

I think Bo NEEDS to play to show the draft scouts that the ankle injury hasn't hampered him.  This is Bo's last college game to impress the scouts and he deserves every minute of the game until he feels like he wants to come out.  He has the combine of course but it's not the same as a real game.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 12/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I think Bo NEEDS to play to show the draft scouts that the ankle injury hasn't hampered him.  This is Bo's last college game to impress the scouts and he deserves every minute of the game until he feels like he wants to come out.  He has the combine of course but it's not the same as a real game

100% agree.

Hopefully the game is well intact and Ty can come in the whole 4th quarter. He needs to have access to all the plays and needs to be pushed to keep scoring. No sticking him in to burn the clock.

Edited by DUCati855
  • Thumbs Up 5

Go with Bo.

TT was put into the BYU game in the third quarter to get meaningful minutes and everyone criticized the move when he didn't produce.

TT started the second half of the Utah game to get meaningful minutes and everyone criticized the move when he didn't produce.

The Bowl Game is a meaningful game. 

as stated above, Bo's last chance and he deserves it...

getting 10 wins in a season is MUCH better that getting 9 (an important perception)...

PAC 12 relevance and respect for next year starts this bowl season. There are 5 PAC teams in the top 

25 and those 5 teams need to SHOW UP for their bowl games because the country is watching. If

those 5 teams go 0-5 all the biased people will say, "I told you so."

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dan Lanning has already given a press brief, and he was elated to say that Bo Nix is excited to play in the bowl game. I don't know how to read tea leaves (does anyone know how to read a leaf?), but at the very least you can count on Bo Nix starting, and for Oregon to try to win the game.

Frankly, I'd have preferred if TT entered the portal before Butterfield. An unknown is better than what TT has shown.  

Edited by 2002duck
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2022 at 3:25 PM, cartm25 said:

Would you rather the Ducks go for the Holiday Bowl win by having Bo Nix play, OR take on a higher chance of losing, but get to see what they have in Ty Thompson in a full game with meaningful minutes?

Both.  Try for the win (for pride of achievement and recruiting) and if they get ahead far enough (and think they can hold it this time) let Thompson in the game so he can put that under his belt.  The win is important but since Ty's stayed on the roster all season, practiced with the team, not declared for the draft - yeah, give him another chance and let him play in something more than just a regular-season game.  Why not?  

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel certain that the coaches know what Ty Thompson can bring. That's why he hardly plays. I don't mean to be cruel, but it seems totally evident to me.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2022 at 4:27 PM, jrw said:

I feel certain that the coaches know what Ty Thompson can bring. That's why he hardly plays. I don't mean to be cruel, but it seems totally evident to me.

I daren't go there ... I've been beat up enough already.

• Haha 2

Bo doesn't need to play in the Bowl game to prove anything to the Scouts. That all gets done at Combines. 

• Like 1

Fans need the win. 

So go with Nix. 

Thompson is NOT the heir apparent to the quarterback throne next year. If Nix stays it will be him. 

If Nix leaves it will be a battle between Thompson, Moore and possibly a transfer QB. 

Lanning needs to get his 10th win more right now and after two years of abysmal bowl performances the fans need a bowl win. 

Even if they aren't worth as much as they used to be. 

• Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Bo brought us 9 wins--He is why we are in a Bowl. Plus, Bo Nix is FUN to watch.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Just win baby

I was hoping Thompson was going to transfer not Butterfield.  I've never done this before, but I don't think Thompson has a future in Eugene, but maybe he's happy with the academics and environment, hope he is, but I've seen no improvement.

• Thumbs Up 2

You play this game to win…….not to showcase Bo, or to give Ty “meaningful” snaps with the one’s.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Has TT even led the team to one first down?

• Yikes! 1

When Ty wins the starting job, he should start, and not until then. When you give, people take, when someone earns something they keep earning it.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

One Ty you all Ty.  With Bo, you Know!  Enough said.  Go Ducks!

At this point I'd consider this the QB pecking order.

QB1 Bo or transfer, QB 2 Moore. QB 3 TT.

On 12/6/2022 at 5:16 PM, 1Funduck said:

Bo doesn't need to play in the Bowl game to prove anything to the Scouts. That all gets done at Combines. 

One of Bo's greatest assets is his ability to change the play at the line of scrimmage based on what he sees in the defense.  That is something that he cannot show off at the Combine.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/6/2022 at 7:18 PM, Jon Sousa said:

One of Bo's greatest assets is his ability to change the play at the line of scrimmage based on what he sees in the defense.  That is something that he cannot show off at the Combine.

Bo is very good at making a broken play count.

On 12/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, Haywarduck said:

When Ty wins the starting job, he should start, and not until then. When you give, people take, when someone earns something they keep earning it.

I guess I would agree...but I suspect Moore battles a transfer for the starting job next fall

Bo should start. Otherwise he might as well have opted out and start preparing for the NFL combine. Maybe spot TT a series here and there to see how he performs. If Ducks build comfortable enough lead late in the game, then let TT start the rest of the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo's the starter period. I don't see Ty playing unless Bo gets hurt or the Ducks are up by 3 scores in the 4th. Bo got us to the Holiday so you dance with who you brought to the party.

I believe we've seen what Ty Thompson has to offer.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2022 at 7:18 PM, Jon Sousa said:

That has already been done for 4 years. He has done that a ton this year. One game, a Bowl game, wont change the Scouts look. The scouts have a ton of film to process and will already know his grade before entering combine. This is all about how healed up his ankle is. The combine will prove that.

We fans are Jones'ing for an elite QB playing in a bowl game against an elite QB. We want the 'WIN' baby! But, this game is absolutely meaningless for Bo's NFL future. For the record, I'm ecstatic he's playing! Go Ducks!!

Edited by 1Funduck

I've been back and forth on Ty Thompson and right now I feel like I've seen enough of him. At first, I thought people were overrating him however when Anthony Brown showed that he threw the ball like a running back I wanted to see what Ty Thompson had because he seemed like a more natural thrower. However, Cristobal isn't a complete idiot there were reasons why he wasn't in the game when the starting qb was a senior that could barely throw. It is because Ty Thompson is very jittery and plays scared out there. Even though Anthony Brown can't thrown he is confident in his ability to run and make key pitches etc. Ty Thompson gets the running backs shaky. I saw it in that Utah game Ty didn't do anything wrong, but the other guy was shaky because he was anticipating something bad and fumbled the ball. Maybe he recovers from this and proves me and Cristobal wrong.

It's great that Bo is playing, let's finish this season with a win.  Bo has earned every snap he wants at this point.

We can start obsessing about next year after a bowl win.

All due respect, but how is this even a question?  Clearly there is a consensus on this issue.   TT didn't get any time in last year's bowl game and won't this year either.

I think TT has been tried enough times for everyone to know he doesn't seem to have what it takes.

Of course Bo should play. The last thing the Ducks need is to lose another bowl game on national tv. Let's try to end the season on a high note with a win.

I wish TT had entered the portal instead of Butters. I thought Butters showed/demonstrated more potential in what we saw of him and it's a shame we  didn't get to see it. After TT flopped in his chances, Butters should've been given a chance. 

• Thanks 1