Charles Fischer

You Want Another 4-Star Running Back?

I am surprised at this, as I think Dante Dowdell is locked in for us, and he is one of the nations leading running backs. Limar is a legit 4-Star on Rivals, and has quite the impressive offer list. (Michigan, USC and Washington)

With all the needs we have, (do we have many linebackers left?) do we need another running back with Irving, Whittington, James, Dowdell...and this guy too?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

According to a prediction from @JHopkinsSD, the Ducks are in great shape to flip 4-star RB Jayden Limar from Notre Dame.

Mr. FishDuck

It sounds like Dollars is in the portal now too, so maybe trying to backfill and spread out the classes a little?

Five scholly RBs seems about right.

Last year it was Bucky, Noah, James, Dollars and Cardwell (with Seven as a hybrid RB/Slot WR)

Replace the last two (three) on that list with Dowdell and Limar and the room is full again. Room for a lot of offensive looks and (heaven forbid) an injury or two.

I wholeheartedly agree that the LB/Edge room needs filling, but I'm anticipating that DL and the D coaches are working the portal to that end.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Misspell
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you were a four star or above running back, would you want to be a featured back that gets a lot of highlights but accumulates more wear and tear shortening your NFL career or would you prefer to rotate reps getting fewer highlights but having less wear and tear?

• Thumbs Up 1

We are forced to think very differently than we did just last year. 

The Portal has thoroughly changed recruiting and we see glaring evidence of this with 11 guys currently in from our roster. If we lose 25 kids under normal circumstances each year, graduation and transfers, what happens when the Portal gets added to the mix? This could be 30-35 kids moving every year! Mind numbing to say the least. 

This brings me to the RB situation. We have 2 in the Portal. They haven't graduated, they simply are looking for other opportunities. That begs the question: Will we 'Lose' 2 RB's to the Portal every year? I'm guessing this is the new normal.

One thing I've noticed is that O-lineman seem to be intact. I'm guessing that is the nature of the position. You don't see O-Lineman having stats to a game that the general fan pays attention to. Just a thought.

Back to RB's, of all the positions that I'm NOT scared of massive movement, it's RB's. One can find a 'Proven' RB in the Portal every year. A 5* sitting behind 2-3 other 5* RB's. He wants to play AND get paid.

I believe the PAC is going to get real good in the coming years with the Portal. Kids usually don't move from Alabama to Oregon for just playing time. But, add some NIL and playing time? Same goes for the other schools.

Portal transferring in and out....... I'm not scared. We are about to get real good.

We don’t have Dowdell locked in yet and he is still talking to Ole Miss.  That may be driving this as well. 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:00 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

If you were a four star or above running back, would you want to be a featured back that gets a lot of highlights but accumulates more wear and tear shortening your NFL career or would you prefer to rotate reps getting fewer highlights but having less wear and tear?

I see your point, but I also see how coaches like to use two running backs primarily with a third for occasional relief or special situations, such as James with short yardage this year.  Running back No. 4 and No. 5 don't see the field unless it is a rare year of two or even three injuries at running back.

Seems that it pretty much guarantees that one or two transfers every year will be the norm.  (After all that work recruiting!)

Jordan James

Jordan James by J3P.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/7/2022 at 11:00 AM, GeotechDuck said:

We don’t have Dowdell locked in yet and he is still talking to Ole Miss.  That may be driving this as well. 

Get him Coach Locklyn!

Bucky Irving and Coach Locklyn_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I feel.like we need a burner... Someone in the DAT mold I don't know if Limar is that but depth at runningback is a good thing. 

If we want to be elite, we need to have RB's like the elite. Najee Harris, the best RB in his class, waited two years to start at Alabama. We need to have that kind of competition at the skill positions if we want to compete with these guys. 

Bring them in and if they want to transfer because they can't compete, next man up.

• Thumbs Up 1