NJDuck

Canzano: Transfer Game Laced with Misguided Frustration

From Canzano: Blame players? Or coaches?  

"I don’t like the instability we currently have in college athletics. But I’m willing to live with it while the market settles. The players have been handed a new system. One, that coaches are already using to their advantage. Why should we blame a college football player for working it, too?"

SUBSTACK.COM

Blame players? Or coaches?

• Let’s hope! 1

I must say I have always been uncomfortable with coaches leaving for a bigger paycheck and these kids have their dreams altered with absolutely no say. Sure, they can transfer if coaching changes, but thats a big pile of do-do. The options that kid had before signing day most likely aren't there today. And, sure, these kid's options aren't limited, Technically they never were. However, I'm glad the playing field has leveled.

We fans are the ones to be partially blamed. Who of us is happy that Onterio Smith came to play? Transfer. How about Bo Nix? Transfer. We love a Winner! We Love winning and playing for the Natty. Who of us would rather have Ty Thompson playing QB this year over Bo? ... crickets.. 

We love the goings on of team building when it benefits us, the fans, but hate it when these kids make decisions to seemingly benefit themselves. Why? Because it might hurt 'My' chances of a PAC-12 championship next year with an opportunity to play for the Natty. We are selfish, and we should own it.

I'm mildly frustrated with the bad fans. Mildly, because they have the right to their own opinion, I just wish they were more dignified and respectful. Most fans are excellent examples of good community behavior. We are aghast at a bad call and jump up and down with a roar for the 45 yard bomb for a TD. It goes both ways right? 

Conzano mentions the former player will never go back to the stadium. Thats sad. He could choose to be a part of the solution and root for His team, Root for the kids even if they struggle. Show how to be disappointed without belittling. Instead, he has chosen to leave 'that seat' to the possibility of another boorish fan. 

The day of mass movement every year is now officially here. The sooner we accept the off season will be a mass migration, the sooner we will accept that these kids have no more loyalty to us the fans than we do to them. They owe us nothing. They paid in full by showing up and answering the call when the coach says get on the field. 

I applaud every single player for doing whats perceived as best in his own eyes. It's called freedom. I can choose to change jobs at will. They should be able to as well. 

Bring on the 5*'s from the Portal!!!

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't blame a kid for wanting a new start, there are plenty of good reasons why they might want one.

But according to articles I've read, 60% of kids who hit the portal last 3 years did NOT find a new home!

And of those that did, are they better off?

Do they get a degree?

Are they even happier?

Ultimately, college football has changed because we the fans have changed. All everyone wants is a national championship. And we love whichever players will give us that chance.

I just hope for the best for these kids in finding a new home.

Blame neither. It's the perfect storm that was inevitable. Now we all need patience to wait and see what happens. 

It always bothered me that a player who was recruited by a particular coach with that being the most important aspect; the relationship, being sabotaged if the coach is fired or moved to another team but the player had to stay with new coaches at the institution.  

Another problem I had was the only compensation was the scholarship. This was unfair in two areas. Going to classes and practice left no time to get work to have extra spending money if you didn't have parents who could help you out. It also left the players feeling used looking at all the money they were generating.

This was a travesty that the NCAA could have done something about but didn't until it was forced to. Welcome to the results.

• Like 1

I think I need help when I find myself agreeing 100% with John Canzano. Let's face it, modern college football is pretty rotten from top to bottom. I choose to look the other way, I guess, but when you have a system overflowing with money that's based on the efforts of teenagers and young men, you're gonna have a lot of problems. Maybe  NIL and the portal are the beginnings of improvement.

I believe that the frustration is the combination of the transfer portal and NIL occurring at the same time. Every player has become an unrestricted free agent EVERY YEAR. 

If you look at pro sports, there are salary cap restrictions, wage scales for new players (NFL), players are signed for a certain period of time and cannot become free agents whenever they want.  College football seems like complete chaos right now.  The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction, IMO. There needs to be some rules/over site.

• Thumbs Up 1