Charles Fischer

Perhaps A Very REAL Reason for So Many Oregon Transfers Leaving?

The always-wonderful Georgia fans who show up here will vouch for this, as Coach Lanning is going to gradually make us into an SEC Far-West program.  Bulldog fans, (on one of their sites) made a BIG deal of this...

FISHDUCK.COM

We've covered quite a few aspects of the Georgia program over the last month that Coach Dan Lanning will be integrating into his version of the 2022 Oregon...

Hug a FishDuck writer today!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Agree, after becoming the coach late, Lanning tried to keep the team together this past season. We are just now seeing what you predicted.

Players who don't measure up, aren't willing to work on weaknesses, are headed to the exits. The trick is to now sign the Gonzo's from other teams, not the uncoachables from other programs.

This is where the real research needs to happen, and a focus on the star rating given coming out of high school needs to stop. Bucky Irving was a 3*, and our 4* is leaving. It is all about production and heart, not always the measurables, SPARK numbers.

We may even end up with another 3* qb instead of the 5* we have been so proud of. Will we be going back to our roots, or just going after tougher highly rated student athletes?

I remember watching Brock Purdy, with all his heart, and savvy, slice up our defense, while our qb struggled. Brock was a 3* from the same state as our 4*.

My bet is in our distant past we would have gone after Brock. He would have led our Ducks and surprised everyone, but our coaching staff. I look forward to a coaching staff who can again look past the star ratings, and what everyone else says.

We did look past what many said about Nix, so maybe we are moving back to just going after the heart, more than measurables. I look forward to whatever is happening.

I trust Lanning to know the players he wants are going to measure up on the field. Exciting times, and maybe a return to a better evaluation of players based on the Oregon standard. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think you want to find the most athletic talent with the desire to be great ... hard to find and everybody else wants them to but those are the majority of players that end up at HOF levels.

"I think the ability to hit - some guys have it and some guys don't - but I think how dedicated you are to trying to get the most out of yourself, I think kind of determines how good you are and for how long. I was born with the ability to hit, but my work ethic has taken it to the next level." Tony Gwynn

When my son was about 11 years old we went to a baseball card shop and Brooks Robinson (HOF Orioles 3rd baseman from the 60s/70s for those too young to remember him) was signing autographs. Very nice person and it was great to meet him.

Always looking for coaching opportunities for my young son I asked him about how hard he worked to get so great. In a very low key way he told my son and I that "to be honest it came pretty easy to me. Ever since I was a little kid I just had really good hand/eye coordination. I didn't have to work too hard at it." Not the coaching opportunity I was looking for ... LOL...but some people are just born with superior talent. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brooks Robinson is the best third baseman I ever seen play. 

Interesting anecdote. 

For every Freddy Couples, Allen Iverson, and Frank Robinson there are thousands of Michael Jordans who not only had natural talent, but also the drive to be the best, and worked their tails off to get there.

What we see is the end result, but most often there was countless hours of work at their craft, and much failure which drove those players. Some talented players let failure drive them to the bench where they stayed. What would have happened if Jordan had just said basketball wasn't his sport when he didn't make varsity?

I suppose the other could be said, what would have happened if Justin Flowe hadn't earned all the accolades and the Butkus Award so early? There are players who are ruined by success, and those who are made by their failures. 

I think in the past the Oregon program has been made by those who just wouldn't accept failure. Sometimes those guys turned out to become NFL players, other times they just made the team that much stronger. Those are the players I want to see more of, and I think Lanning does too.

We want players who lean into to failure, coaching, and difficult situations. My guess, in this picture, is Michael Jordan listened, and tried to do exactly what Dean Smith was telling him. Other players were already too good to listen when this happened.

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Haywarduck

On 12/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, Haywarduck said:

For every Freddy Couples, Allen Iverson, and Frank Robinson there are thousands of Michael Jordans who not only had natural talent, but also the drive to be the best, and worked their tails off to get there.

What we see is the end result, but most often there was countless hours of work at their craft, and much failure which drove those players. Some talented players let failure drive them to the bench where they stayed. What would have happened if Jordan had just said basketball wasn't his sport when he didn't make varsity?

I suppose the other could be said, what would have happened if Justin Flowe hadn't earned all the accolades and the Butkus Award so early? There are players who are ruined by success, and those who are made by their failures. 

I think in the past the Oregon program has been made by those who just wouldn't accept failure. Sometimes those guys turned out to become NFL players, other times they just made the team that much stronger. Those are the players I want to see more of, and I think Lanning does too.

We want players who lean into to failure, coaching, and difficult situations. My guess, in this picture, is Michael Jordan listened, and tried to do exactly what Dean Smith was telling him. Other players were already too good to listen when this happened.

Unknown.jpeg

My son was a very good soccer player as a youth. His hs school coach once told me that he loved coaching the kid but it wasn't his innate ability that got the coaches attention.

He told me that the thing my boy did better than nearly every other player this coach had ever had was LISTEN, and APPLY the information he was given, in the moment, i.e.:

The ability to process and use new information, correctly and willingly.

Not every kid, at any level, has that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone out there have data yet regarding portal transfer numbers from all FBS schools?

The general assumption being discussed here seems quite reasonable, but I'd really like to see transfer data for all FBS schools.