FishDuck Article

People are Pretty Selfish: Should I Continue the OBD Forum?

The Our Beloved Ducks Forum has been a massive sociological experiment that I never saw coming…from so many angles.  So many surprises…so much confirmation of the goodness of people, yet so many heartbreaking moments for me. It has been an indictment of the current culture, one that is not limited to those who are young. These events with those who ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The Our Beloved Ducks Forum has been a massive sociological experiment that I never saw coming…from so many angles. So many...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Fair enough, Charles.

You've put enough blood, sweat, and tears (figuratively, and literally), for all of us to show some respect and appreciation.

Hopefully, the new system will help alleviate some of the stress we so generously contribute to your daily walk!

BTW, this is the ONLY Duck forum I actively participate in, and has been for well over a year.

I've personally witnessed some of the abuse you have been subjected to elsewhere in the past, and found it unwarranted for any reason.

This is your house, built with your own hands.

You deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Take care, my friend!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

Everything you need to know you learned in kindergarten. Say please and thank you, and cookies are good for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I truly hope that the stress of this site and all that it entails eases. I am reminded of a true story of a conversation with me and my dad. When, as a teenager, a few decades ago, I was complaining to my father about all the constant barrage of complaining from my work environment and no complements of anything I did right, he turned to me and said, 'you get a check don't ya?'. 

I hated that answer. It did not validate my feelings. It actually hardened me for a while. While he was right, I hadn't been fired and I was still getting paid, it was tough to hear. Many years later I found the principle and learned valuable life lessons.

1) Rarely will anyone come up to me and say I did a 'good job'. I would have had to of done an outstanding job to be verbally noticed. 

2) Most of the time I am going to hear about what I did wrong 10 times more than what I did right. I still get my check (AttaBoy).

3) It's much easier to get offended and spout off than to allow someone else to have an opinion and do it their way. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and my way isn't the only way.

The reason I bring this up is because I have come to appreciate people and their individuality. They all have a right to their opinion, and I should respect that. I have given much more leniency to emotional response than I have in the past. But, this doesn't excuse disrespectful dialogue.

You are not alone Fish. Maturity, by and large, teaches us these lessons. Others struggle not knowing where their boundaries are. My hat is off to you and I applaud everything you do here. You don't get enough kudos compared to the hassle of disrespectfulness you have to endure. This site is NOT A PUBLIC FORUM. Technically, this is your home. You have invited us into your living room, with the betting site still on in the back ground, and offered us a measure of 'Honored Guest' bestowed upon us.

A guest rarely pays when invited to ones home. The hospitality, and cost, is endured by the homeowner and bestowed upon the 'Invited' and Honored guest, at the home owners expense. As a guest, we would never swear in your home, leave our shoes on in your home, stay too long and wear out our welcome in your home. And its a boorish SIN to show ingratitude and display a demanding spirit in 'YOUR HOME'. 

Fish, you have every right to feel the way you do and every right to put up a 'Decorum' expectation for all YOUR guests. I have yet to find another forum that shares so much, with little to no negative garbage spewed on the digital page.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! 

36 rule breakers is sad. But, the THOUSANDS that stop by are coming for a reason. You may not hear it enough, but you are deeply appreciated. We can come to your home and share our thoughts and we are grateful you dignify us by protecting us, your 'Guests'.

Well done, FishDuck, well done!!

P.S. Take a break once in a while. Your moderators can take up the slack and will understand, and its for your health as well. 

Edited by 1Funduck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 6
  • Applause 3

I know I have been a pain, and felt the pain of doing somethings which were extremely difficult. Doing the tough things isn't as rewarding as you think it will be, as the process goes along. I do know the outcome was always worth it.

I remember coming out of those experiences shocked and exhausted. I am not sure how you do it, other than you are a better man than most. 

If you ever need to step away for a day, week, month, or more I think most will understand and be right back when you come back. I know few are as appreciative as they should be, myself included. Just know we are, and do what you have to do. 

One guiding light I try to live by is I can't please everyone, just myself, and if I am not pissing off somebody I am not being true to myself. Sorry if that somebody was you too many times. I do know many of the people who pissed me off, I learned from, in time. Others, I learned just weren't worth the time.

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is the only Duck forum I visit and its because its a breath of fresh air.

I appreciate the code of ethics in this place, Thanks for being the facilitator for something good at 71 I prefer a place where there isn't vitriol and politics!

Appreciate Charles!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The inherent problem with internet forums is that people feel entitled to say things that would get them punched in the face if they said it to the guy sitting next to them at the bar.

Either the contact is moderated or it becomes a donnybrook.  I bailed on The Athletic for that reason, nothing but junior high smack talk and no intelligent discussion to be found.

Hope you've found a solution that works for you FD.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thank you Charles for all the time, energy, and angst it takes to to create this forum. In answer to your question, yes. Please continue with the forum 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

Charles, you are amazing the way you have worked so hard to produce and monitor such a wonderful site! I hope you realize how much you and all your efforts are appreciated.

Every once in a great while I check an un-named site consisting of persons who were not content to obey the rules here, and I can say that now they seem to have very little to say, as not much at all goes on there. So, it would seem, polite actually wins out over rude.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I will praise Charles and this forum to no end. I'm fairly well immersed in internet culture, where the bad always drives out the good, and the comments, like water, always seek the lowest level. The forum is unique. And, it is so only because Charles and the mods (and the software) enforce the rules, and keep it a pleasant place to be.

Remember, this forum is not the public square; it's Mr. FishDuck's house. If he doesn't like loudmouth idiots acting like jerks in his house, he throws them out. They can act like jerks outside, somewhere else, it's not their house. That's not censorship, it's being a good host.

I couldn't do what Mr. FishDuck does; his effort and patience are beyond me.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hope you keep this site going as there are a lot of good people posting on here and some football knowledge that easily passes mine. On top of that it is part of my morning ritual to check out what new stories are out there. Plus, I check the site frequently during the day as a break from virtual work!

Charles, this is a great site and I appreciate all of your hard work but understand if you just burn out on dealing with the negatives. The good news is that the very high percentage of people follow the rules and enjoy politely talking about our Ducks. If some get their feelings hurt because they didn't follow the rules I think that falls under the "oh well" category in life.

Thanks again for all of effort you put into this forum.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thank you Charles.  Your work, time, and effort is appreciated and I applaud your decision to make things easier for yourself and fellow moderators.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2022 at 2:37 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Everything you need to know you learned in kindergarten. Say please and thank you, and cookies are good for you.

That may have been true for you and I, but I am not sure if it is taught in today's kindergarten.  No matter, the issue is selfishness, and it has come from all age groups.

Mr. FishDuck

I also wish to thank you for all that you've done and continue to do.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2022 at 5:41 AM, 1Funduck said:

You may not hear it enough, but you are deeply appreciated.

I do hear it more than often enough and am grateful for it.  But I have to admit that many of the rule violators have taken a ton out of me over time--and some poor moderators who have heard me vent can vouch for that.

I just cannot go through the mental anguish on a regular basis any more.  I had to come up with a tech solution that is efficient, but to make it that way it is also "cold-as-hell" and will drive some people off because of what appears to be an uncaring approach.  But in the end it is them or me...

I do not thank the moderators enough, as without them--this doesn't work at all.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 8:14 AM, jrw said:

where the bad always drives out the good, and the comments, like water, always seek the lowest level.

Very, very true.  On the web, the one who goes lowest wins.

And it is impossible to ask tons of people to rise above that; they just don't want to in today's culture.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 7:01 AM, Haywarduck said:

if I am not pissing off somebody I am not being true to myself. Sorry if that somebody was you too many times.

Each violator thinks, "it is draining, but it is only me, one instance."

But I have so many of these every month; imagine going through what you and I did every week for a year.  Mentally...where would you be?

That is where I am at.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 7:43 AM, Duckhart said:

I prefer a place where there isn't vitriol and politics!

We had an election week in November, a very contentious one.  Yet we had NO reference to it at all in the forum, and I consider that a BIG VICTORY for all of us.  Thanks to everyone for their wisdom and restraint....

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 8:01 AM, LB48 said:

In answer to your question, yes. Please continue with the forum 

Oh I am absolutely keeping the forum up, but it was "iffy" for quite a while.  I had a ton of soul-searching to do.  In the end....I decided that I personally cannot live without this community, and the ability to post and ponder in a safe place.

I just had to come up with a way to deal with violators in a way that did not tear me up inside.  It is not optimum, not the solution I want, (you all will see why later) but I had to choose between two negative outcomes.

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, I hope I’m doing this correctly as this is my first post. 

You are a great Duck and should be in the Hall of Fame. It was shortly after we lost to Auburn in the Championship Game if I remember correctly that Fishduck the website was born. 

Your site has been viewed by me almost everyday and most days multiple times a day since then.

I consider you a friend even though we’ve never met.  It was approximately 4 or 5 years we talked on the phone as I was going to help write some articles. I ended up telling you I couldn’t as life got in the way. I felt I let you down. I am sorry.

You have always been right there for all of us and most of the time we had no idea of the stress and money doing what you love and in turn providing us a forum to do what we love. 

I love following my Ducks and you have made that so easy to do for the last 10 years. 

You are and always will be loved and appreciated by everyone here.

Thank you Charles. 

Also, as you may not remember, I graduated from San Diego State in 1987 and moved up to Portland in 1992. 

Now I’m in Walla Walla, Washington and I feel sad for the people that root for the other two other schools around me.

Every Saturday I would watch the Ducks and then couldn’t wait to get the Oregonian and read about the game in the paper.

My first mortgage client was a Duck and I have been bleeding yellow and green for the last 30 years.

My second client was a beaver. I have rejoiced every day since then.

Thanks again Charles and I’ll be here every day (I get so much enjoyment reading what everyone has to say) until…well…always.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Charles,

Thank you for continuing this experiment in intelligent and civil exchange. It has become a one stop shop for OBD news and information. As many others have stated here, this is the only Duck forum I frequent and post to.

Like any other endeavor where people share ideas and information, there will always disagreement and friction. The anonymity of social media allows some to indulge in behaviors that they would never attempt in a face to face interaction. Some are just p/o'd at life, job, family and the car in front of them. They want to vent about something.

It's too easy to get overly passionate about the performance of 18-22 year old student athletes and their coaches from the comfort of your couch and laptop. Someone has to moderate and it takes wisdom to insure everyone gets to exit with their dental work (and where possible, pride) intact.

Thanks as well for the couple of times you have raised an eyebrow at a post of mine that ventured into blue or snarky territory. Keeping the guardrails static makes for a standard that all need to respect. Your sandbox, your rules. 

Please keep it going with whatever IT and moderation assistance is required. Be gratified that what you have here is unique in the right way. I suppose also be gratified that October/November/December is the peak of the college football silly season for fans and that things will simmer down some in the new year.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:14 AM, jrw said:

Remember, this forum is not the public square; it's Mr. FishDuck's house.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. It's a privilege to be here. And Charles is under no obligation to give a reason for asking a guest to leave. He's done so out of kindness. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, Charles Fischer said:

We had an election week in November, a very contentious one.  Yet we had NO reference to it at all in the forum, and I consider that a BIG VICTORY for all of us.

I, too, noticed the lack of political statements in November on this site. This proves the site (and its rules) garner respect and that your hard work has paid off.

Unfortunately, while we all were able to refrain from stating our politic views, many were unable to refrain from expressing their frustration of losing to our two most hated rivals. The one thing EVERYONE on this forum has is passion for our Ducks. Passion can bring out the best in people. But, passion with a keyboard in hand, often explodes into a heaping pile of excrement. No one person should have to shovel through that themselves. I'm so glad you have the moderators to help you and sincerely hope the web developer comes up with some code that eases your pain.

We all appreciate this forum and ALL you do to provide it for us. Thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think you are wise in taking the conflict with others out of the equation. That is difficult to deal with face to face (where people have a harder time dehumanizing you) but when done, virtually or through phone...very difficult. As someone who works in practical morality (practical as in I deal, face to face, with people struggling with moral and spiritual change and not at their best) and as an expert in technology ethics I can say that, (1) people have always been selfish, and (2) social media has made it much worse.

A good culture creates incentives to not act that way, but those cultures are very rare. Our selfish culture is the norm.

There is a lot of money to be made in exacerbating and creating conflict. In the online world, angry people post more --and see more advertising-- than people who aren't angry. So social media "nudges" people toward expressing their anger and contempt for others. This unethical way of making money is a deep and toxic form of selfishness and is not new, just a new technique in making money by harming others.

Also, social media creates silos where people use derogatory terms for others and it is "okay" because "everyone does it." This creates issues when people move out of their silo into more inclusive communities (such as FishDuck) where not everyone believes as they do, and those derogatory terms are now seen by folks outside that narrow silo. The response is, well, "not always positive."

I've had a life changing experience triggered by social media. I enjoy an activity that I always knew was dominated by people who don't see the world as I do politically. That wasn't an issue for many years. I figured that we'd shake hands when we met and enjoy our shared activity in peace. Social media taught me that this was rather naïve. I was on social media in sites dedicated to my hobby and many people started to speak about those who believe as I do with derogatory terms and, sadly, hatred and contempt. Its gotten so bad that I've come to realize that a certain percentage of "my" community would injury or kill me in the right circumstances. 

My enjoyment of my hobby has dramatically decreased since I no longer trust many of my fellow participants and I have reduced my physical and online social participation. 

So, thank you Charles, and the rest of the moderators for doing your best to create an environment safe and enjoyable for everyone. This site and the work you do is deeply appreciated.

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/8/2022 at 10:09 AM, DUCati855 said:

many were unable to refrain from expressing their frustration of losing to our two most hated rivals.

Expressing that frustration is fine, as long as it is within our rules...that have proven to work.  Negative posts are fine, critical analysis is not only accepted, but encouraged.  It is when someone does an excessive number of over-the-top negative posts that I have to step in with them.

We don't have anyone like that right now, but we do have an Eeyore or two who seem to look for the negative in nearly every topic.  That annoys me, but it is not a violation.

Eeyore.jpg

Oh my,...don't you know it is all going bad for Oregon?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I read a lot of forums relating to many different topics. This is by far the most civil of all. It's a joy to come on here and not have to wade through the political or bias viewpoints of a few that seem to take over some of the forums I'm on.

Charles, I don't know how you do it but like everyone else here I'm very thankful for all your hard work to keep things civil. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Charles, as i have stated before to this awesome Forum:

FishDuck is a unique, one of a kind site"

You are also a true "one of a kind" person. I congratulate you and admire your love, passion and committment to "all things Duck"

This is your site and no one else's. As others have mentioned this is your home. That home gives us refuge. We are simply guests when we enter OBDF and if we comment then the rules need to follow.

You have had to remind me on 2 occassions that I violated a rule. They were minor and just worded incorrectly. I appreciated your comments and help so as to not hurt or discourage others.

I will support you no matter your choices with YOUR FORUM.......

Perhaps visitors and commentors fail to understand your passion and love for the site. This is your child and you will protect it.

And i love and admire you for your conviction.......

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2

Long time reader, made an account just to say, this is the only place I go for duck football news and analysis. Don't let the trolls win, the internet will always have those looking to stir up emotions. Its the cost of using text to communicate, especially indirectly. But we have also had a rollercoaster since having Mario the meathead at the helm but we all need to remember a few things.

Pac 12 football is on the rise as a whole, which is good but it means more painful losses are likely. Also, just because emotions run high after a tough loss, we cannot take our frustration out on each other. If anything we should use analysis to cope as I do. So thank you Charles for creating the best community I have seen on the internet since Myspace existed and Dennis Dixon was a Duck.

Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It used to be that if you racked up 3-4 violations in a 24 hour period you’d get a phone call and then get to talk football with Mr. Fischer for an hour or so.  Which was cool, but awkward explaining to the wife.  🙂

Heart and Soul, Charles!!....thats what made this site.   But, that level of dedication  can’t be maintained indefinitely....nor should it be necessary.  The new system should be  more than adequate. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I got one of your emails about a poor choice of word in my posting.  I think I deserved it and that's the end of that.  We all really appreciate you providing this free forum for OBD fans and trying to keep it civilized.   I can't believe the length some of the folks would go to be nasty.   Ban them!   Good that robots should be used to do the policing instead of you.   Hope you get to bet more on NFL, mostly against the Falcons after they dumped our Mariota...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Charles,

I would like to think, I have been enjoying your FishDuck OSC, since 2008 as I did not explore the WWW because of my wifes concern for security before.  Job related.  But when I discovered your breakdown of the Kelly's Offense in video form, I was a Lifer.  Most can not keep my attention but you articulated in such a easy to understand manner.  I would look forward to the next installment.  No Forum back then, or at least as I could recall.  As the time went by, changes started to occur, yet I had little time to interact.

But Really Charles, if you find yourself, looking in the mirror and shake your head with effort, do not make this the thing that breaks your heart.  Love what brings the smile to your face.  I know you have had to put ME in my place, for the times you have, I am sorry but the chance to have banter with you, IN PERSON.  Made my heart glow, chance to share a love for a team, to find the passion and pain for someone so invested money and love wise.

Sorry for babbling on, can not seem to keep focused other than to say, Do not let pain of others affect the love you have for Your Ducks Passion.  I have enjoyed it more than you can believe.  Thank You for sharing this passion with me and keeping me straight and true on such a great Endeavour as you have Shared with others.  Thank You for letting Me into your Ducks Home Charles.  I hope you will see that the Welcome mat is so important for many of us.

• Thanks 1

I have not been a member of this forum very long. What I can say is that this forum has made me better than I ever intended to be.

Mindful of the rules, I have found a way to express myself in a thoughtful manner. It forces me to think a little deeper about what I have to say. 

I am a better fan and my football IQ has increased significantly since I became a regular contributor to this forum.

When I was at my brothers (huge Husky fan) for Thanksgiving, he engaged conversation about the game. It was clear he just wanted to talk smack. And I had a lot to say.

To my surprise I was able to talk thoughtfully and respectfully. Conversation was short because I didn't speak with vitriol and nastiness. Plus we lost... Gŕrr!

I believe My reaction was because of spending so much time on OBDF. Proof that because of OBDF, I am better than I ever intended to be. 

Thanks Charles. Keep being a good example because you never know who is watching or how you are impacting others. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

After reading the many posts it is clear to me Fishduck is like one of the beautiful cabins you see and mostly wonder who owns it, what happens inside and how are they so lucky. 

What is even more important is how is was built and maintained. Anything that is substantial takes a lot heart, and soul to create, sustain. There are always many stories nobody knows which went into the creation of it.

We all have our part, mostly small, and the big driver of this site, I would call it a being, as it has life, and gives life to so many, is Charles Fischer. That being, as everyone can see is more like a child to Charles. 

It isn't just a beautiful cabin people mess up at times and he has to clean. It is something he cares about more than anyone knows, and probably will ever know. 

I found that out recently when I had a difference of opinion on an area. I couldn't believe how important the site was to Charles. The care and concern are beyond what 99.9% of the human population could ever give to something. His passion and care is beyond compare. 

So in the future when you mess up his cabin know it isn't just a cabin, or place you go every once, and a while. It is something very sacred that someone cares deeply about. Take your computer driven medicine, and clean up the mess. We all want the cabin just like it is.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

It sure sounds like this is a good and timely move for you.  All platforms have struggled with how to deal with the inherent challenges, some better than others.  OBD has been the best by far, due to your incredible commitment.  It’s wise on your part to know that you simply cannot shoulder this alone.  

Be very proud of what you have created.  You have a grateful community here.  

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Though I am certain it was not your intention, your post gives all of us who read and occasionally contribute, a moment to reflect on the work that you do for us. Please know that you and your forum are greatly valued and appreciated. This site of civil discourse about our Ducks provides way to express our delights and infrequent dissatisfaction about "our beloved Ducks." Many thanks for all your endure. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 12:06 PM, Marshall Lucky said:

t used to be that if you racked up 3-4 violations in a 24 hour period you’d get a phone call and then get to talk football with Mr. Fischer for an hour or so.

Marshall!  And I thought I scared you off!

Your example is a timely one, because with the new technology I am using--it will operate on a "penalty-point" system, and someone could be banned in their first post for multiple violations.  Back then when I called you--I went through a period of trying to talk with tons of people to gather information how to make the rules better--communicate our policies better, etc.  it was real helpful at the time.

I did that for a couple of month period and now I do not call violators unless it is a Duck-Buddy or a "regular" to soothe over that "an email is coming."  Even with that...I've had regulars be outraged at receiving a notification email, when it was their actions that brought the series of events about.

No matter.  They chose to leave, and that was never my intent.  A ton of great people have left because they love the wonderful clean pool to swim in as a Duck, and they want the rules enforced on everyone else to keep the pool clean, but they want to be the only person who gets an exception to pee in it.

Not how this Duck Pond works!

Great to see you, and thank you for your kind thoughts.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 10:50 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

You have had to remind me on 2 occasions that I violated a rule. They were minor and just worded incorrectly.

Yes, and I wrote in the emails that "we forget about it now and move forward," and we did.  No big deal, and you have been a great fan and OBD member.  Thank you...

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I got one of your emails about a poor choice of word in my posting.  I think I deserved it and that's the end of that. 

Yep, as I often say, "none of us here wear halos," as I've made mistakes too, only mine are usually a lot more public.  Thanks again for being a good sport, and moving forward to new great discussions.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 2:14 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Do not let pain of others affect the love you have for Your Ducks Passion. 

My friend, you have really nailed the crux of it.  I am a crazy, ridiculous fan...I mean who else would go through all this work as a fan?  Fanatic...that is me.

Dealing with the selfishness over-and-over was not killing my Duck-Love, but my interest in a forum.  But with new tech alternatives--I think I can make this work.  It will not operate very well for the violators, but I have to structure it to work well for me, and my mental well-being.

These encounters are very energy and life-draining, and of all the things I manage with both sites--it is the one area I am not good at handling.  Most negative with me is "water-off-a-Duck" which is why the Eeyores of the forum will annoy me on occasion.  But the intense encounters--by email even--display the dark side of humanity.  You just don't want to be a part of it very often.

Of course when I ban someone...they have to send the "get-even" email, or the "save-face" email, (I even have category names for them!) and usually I take it with humor and look for new innovative insults.  But some are not something I would wish on anyone.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

I have not been a member of this forum very long. What I can say is that this forum has made me better than I ever intended to be.

Mindful of the rules, I have found a way to express myself in a thoughtful manner. It forces me to think a little deeper about what I have to say. 

I am a better fan and my football IQ has increased significantly since I became a regular contributor to this forum.

When I was at my brothers (huge Husky fan) for Thanksgiving, he engaged conversation about the game. It was clear he just wanted to talk smack. And I had a lot to say.

To my surprise I was able to talk thoughtfully and respectfully. Conversation was short because I didn't speak with vitriol and nastiness. Plus we lost... Gŕrr!

I believe My reaction was because of spending so much time on OBDF. Proof that because of OBDF, I am better than I ever intended to be. 

Thanks Charles. Keep being a good example because you never know who is watching or how you are impacting others. 

You have no idea what your post means to me.  I am a little misty-eyed as I write this.  THANK YOU.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

This, Log Haulin. I too feel that having to think about what I say and how I say it has made be a better person, which is an admittedly low bar. I've tried to behave the same way in other arenas. And, I've learned a lot about football, too.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really appreciate this forum. It is a wealth of information about OBD and I am so fortunate to have found it. I hope it continues to be available to us all.

Thanks Charles and all the other helpers for making it what it is. I have never felt the rules were too restrictive. Just an example of the common courtesy

we should all expect in a civil conversation.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Ya gotta set boundaries, Charles……for your own sanity, enjoyment, and goals.  This is your baby, so, you can do what you want.   Thank you for it!

• Thanks 1

I can't imagine all of the work you put into this site...  I for one am extremely grateful and am appreciative every time I come here and especially when I reflect like I am now on how much I learn every visit.

The community is what makes it great but you are what makes it run!     

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

@Charles Fischer, You buried the lede. 😂 

Or maybe you were building suspense. Either way, I am glad I read your article to the end. 

I thought for sure you were throwing in the towel, but instead, you invented the perfect solution!

As a software engineer, I love automation to eliminate unnecessary resistance. And unnecessary resistance is exactly how I would describe those selfish posts.

Let me know if I can help our beloved web developer in Sheffield! 

And thank you for maintaining the best sports forum on the web!! 🙏

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Or maybe you were building suspense. Either way, I am glad I read your article to the end. 

I felt it was important to explain to everyone how taxing it is to deal with some of the violators.  And when I roll out this new way of notifying rule-violators....I did not want to do it without some explanation as to "why," and this article not only does so now, but the link to that explanation article is something I can include with the templates I create of which are sent to violators later.

A year and a half ago--I went to the powers-that-be of the forum software company with my individual-post moderating plug-in request.  They did not receive it well, and practically laughed me out of their Tech-Exchange forum.  (Long story)  But in the last two months they included in their latest update patches--components of what I wanted back then.  Apparently others began requesting it too?

So there are elements of the original forum software my web developer will be using, components that are now new in the last two months within the forum software, and then there is the moderation plug-in you are familiar with that has the check box and moderating dashboard that pops up.  Between these three--I can get a compromise built that will take me personally out of the equation, and thus make it easier for me.

There is a downside for the violators, (the loss of personal contact with me) and while I regret that...I think I've endured enough from the problem-cases to warrant this change.

We are still working on it, and I am excited about it.  Thank you for your kind thoughts and offer!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2022 at 6:21 PM, Charles Fischer said:

There is a downside for the violators, (the loss of personal contact with me) and while I regret that.

So true. 

The violators’ loss is our gain. 🤗

Charles, as one who has been gently reminded to be nice, I certainly am glad to hear we trolls have not beaten you down.

This is YOUR forum, your house and your rules.  If we can’t play nice, we should expect to be sent home!  

Your time, effort, and FANATICISM all played a part in you designing and maintaining the OBD Forum with Decorum that so many of us look forward to getting our daily Duck fix. 

I thank you again, for letting us play in your playground.  

Oh, btw, Mrs. PittDuck thanks you as well, and hopes you don’t let the negativity get you down.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Evolution rev 13.1

Well done, Charles.

• Thanks 1