UtahDuck

Oregon close to hiring Heyward's Replacement

It does make me laugh that Oregon is kinda outright just raiding Cal's staff at this point if Oregon does hire Yates.

We took all the coaches we wanted from WSU so on to Cal now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Marcel Yates is a great hire. 

2016-19 Arizona DC
2014-15 Boise State DC

2012-13 Texas A&M co-DC

2003-11 Boise State secondary/CBs 

That is an impressive resume. Yates graduated from Boise State in 2000, began as a position coach at Montana State in 2001. He’s 43 and already has 20 years of D-1 coaching experience, including as a play caller. I bet he would have gone with Petersen to Washington but didn’t work on the timing since he was at Texas A&M.
Yates also looks like he can recruit. A handful of 4-stars at A&M and got Boise State their highest ranked recruit ever: 86th overall, their next highest is 235th overall. 

I think Cristobal pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this hire, because things were not looking good for him to get a Heyward-type replacement for some time.  Most decided to remain in the NFL or passed on it; this is quite a resume' for a secondary coach.  MC upgraded again!

Sewell interview_Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

MC upgraded again!

Personal opinion I think Heyward is a better recruiter that Yates, but at this point we need some development happening at the safety position/Nickel. Our best DB's in his time were the ones that came in and instantly performed or were developed before he arrived. I think Yates has the pedigree and skill level to improve our Safeties. I for one am excited and Oregon should be much easier to recruit to so I assume he will learn how to recruit how Cristobal wants and Oregon should be golden or rather UO Yellow. 

18 minutes ago, UtahDuck said:

Personal opinion I think Heyward is a better recruiter that Yates

Looking at his resume and even that of DeRuyter it is difficult to get a full grasp of their recruiting chops. What program you're with will determine who you can recruit for the most part.

To put it simply... Boise State will never be in play for any five star kids. Whereas Alabama can be a viable landing spot for EVERY five-star out there. Arizona and Cal are both Pac-12 programs but neither contend for the top talent on any regular basis. Those programs need to show the ability to play at a higher level before they can recruit at a higher level.

Oregon is in an odd position because Oregon bottomed out only four years ago but that was a minor blip on recruits radar. Where Cal, or Arizona haven't really been relevant for some time. Arizona has actually been relevant more recently as they won the Pac-12 South in 2014.

I do look forward to seeing what these two can do recruiting wise with the resources and prestige at Oregon AND Mario Cristobal backing them up.

Is the recruiting downgrade here a push to the football X's  and O's upgrade and then who becomes the ACE recruiter on the D for us?  Chance, Wilson or Mcclendon?