Fordux

Marcel Yates

Thoughts on coach Yates’ skill set, recruiting acumen, and previous results? 

37 minutes ago, Fordux said:

Not yet for me, as I want to see all the information gathered from a variety of sources.  But he has quite a background, and is seemingly over-qualified to be a safeties coach, IMHO.  Please see this thread, and in particular, the post by RatherBe

Verone McKlinley_Kevin Cline.jpg

Nice interception by Verone McKinley!

Mr. FishDuck

We are fortunate to get Yates. It doesn’t matter what I think, but if DeRuyter and Cristobal wanted Yates, that’s enough endorsement for me. Yates has had good jobs and been in solid coaching trees with success. Now, on to the promised land as a Duck.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

But he has quite a background, and is seemingly over-qualified to be a safeties coach, IMHO. 

So are McClendon and arguably Moorhead as both have held jobs higher than their current jobs. 

Thats some incredible coach recruiting that the opportunity to come to Oregon for a job below a position they have had at a previous location says a lot about the vision Cristobal is promoting for Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

So are McClendon and arguably Moorhead as both have held jobs higher than their current jobs.

And Tim DeRuyter, who has been a head coach....   Coordinators (DeRuyter and Moorhead) who have been head coaches, and position coaches in Yates and McClendon who have been Coordinators.  Whew!

_DJ Johnson catches.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

This looks like a great hire. I especially like the fact that DeRuyter and Yates were together last year... and they BOTH wanted to be together this year. I'm thinking DeRuyter had a lot to say about this hire. This hire makes Cristobal look like gold.

I have nothing to add about Yates, but as much as we'd all love to add a guy who is a great recruiter, I can't think for a second that Mario would sacrifice that aspect of being on the staff for other things. He knows recruiting is critical, and I trust that is a key component of every hire in aid of winning games and championships in the bigger picture.

There was a great point made on the last Autzen Audibles Podcast that other other coaches have come to Oregon without great recruiting track records and now they have recruited some serious talent. Apparently linebackers coach Ken Wilson never got close to recruiting a five-star recruit until he came to Oregon and he played a major role in the recruitment of both Sewell and Flowe. Offensive Line Coach Alex Mirabal doesn't have much of a recruiting track record to talk about before he came to Oregon and he has finished the 2021 recruiting class as one of the Nation's top recruiters.

The school has as much to do about recruiting as who is doing the recruiting. Just some interesting tid-bits that I wanted to share.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Well....it is possible that Mirabal may have had a little help on the offensive line recruiting!  😉

Intense Cristobal_Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

25 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Well....it is possible that Mirabal may have had a little help on the offensive line recruiting!  😉

As does everyone else. Certainly, MC is not only modeling it, but also teaching it to all his coaches. All of the recruits talk about their relationship with MC.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:58 AM, Jon Sousa said:

As does everyone else. Certainly, MC is not only modeling it, but also teaching it to all his coaches. All of the recruits talk about their relationship with MC.

Yes, the HC is the backbone of any program. 

Marcel will have no trouble as family culture and actually caring is what is bolstering the recruiting. This is especially helpful when it comes to Ohana for the islanders. 

Oregon is one of the main schools for the Polynesian kids and that makes sense considering the connection between the great states of Hawaii and Oregon. Over the years the cultures in these states have meshed as well as any.

Mellow/easy going, humble and trustworthy people are what our states pride ourselves in. Eventually those types of values pay off when meeting with parents and such.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, Fordux said:

The following should answer all your questions.

https://goducks.com/news/2021/2/23/football-yates-joins-cristobals-staff.aspx

Yep....that is all in the press release I posted yesterday.....

Mr. FishDuck