Charles Fischer

COVID Killing Recruiting: Dead Period Extends to May 31st

This means that JT Tuimoloau cannot visit Ohio State, Alabama or the Ducks until at least May 31st, and the recruiting Dead Period could go longer.  How do you think he handles his recruiting now?  Does Oregon have a better or worse chance with him?

NCAA Extends Recruiting Dead Period Through at Least May 31 by OregonLive

Image result for j.t. tuimoloau oregon twitter

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

How do you think he handles his recruiting now?  Does Oregon have a better or worse chance with him?

Maybe a slightly better chance. Maybe not. 

Hopefully JTT decides before the 2024 draft. Avante Dickerson came out on an unofficial visit in December, and one that didn’t allow any access to anything - coaches had to FaceTime him from the building he’s standing next to. Ceyair Wright did the same with Oregon, Michigan, and Notre Dame. JTT has been to Tuscaloosa and Eugene on unofficial visits, not Columbus. He wants to take official visits, if he does all three and it’s one a week he might not announce until June. 
The recruiting dead period extension hurts Oregon more than a lot of schools. Since are no unofficial visits or junior days the large groups Cristobal likes to have in aren’t happening. The spring game and it’s usual big recruiting weekend is also a big tool, when your spring game gets 40k and no other Pac-12 school gets more than 10k it’s a big advantage. Both the 2022 and 2023 classes for Oregon are being hampered by this. 

All the indicators seem to show Oregon has done pretty well during this extended dead period. I would also say the questions he has with the other programs will go unanswered, so that helps the known, Oregon. 

The big question is can Cristobal seal the deal, we all know that answer. My bet, Oregon, sooner than later with the latest news.

Mixed bag as to whether it helps or hurts Oregon here...

If the draw to stay closer to home is there Oregon wins... though if he wants to leave home and go somewhere that can compete for a National Championship year one it is difficult for Oregon to beat Ohio State or Alabama on that front.

Though right now I am feeling this probably helps Oregon with JTT slightly. He knows Oregon fairly well and is closer to home. Those factors can play a major part in a year that has come with so much uncertainty and next year or two look clearer but we still have a long way to go before we emerge from COVID Chaos and that can play a significant role at least subconsciously.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Those factors can play a major part in a year that has come with so much uncertainty and next year or two look clearer but we still have a long way to go before we emerge from COVID Chaos and that can play a significant role at least subconsciously.

Great point, the whole Covid-19 thing has to help keep kids closer to home and lean toward smaller school populations, I would think, as a parent. Bama, and tOSU are bigger schools and, of course, further away. Would you want your child in a larger school further away, with this risk, not me. tOSU is closer to 50k students, Oregon is closer to 20k.

This is all conjecture, but seems to make logical sense. Bring him, Cristobal!