Charles Fischer

NEXT Football Season? "Oregon Well-Positioned for a MONSTER 2021"

Look...I did not write that!  A sportswriter for Athlon Sports did, and then he gives three major reasons why he feels that way--and why he thinks Oregon has a shot at returning the College Football Playoffs.  Do you agree with his reasoning?

Oregon Football: 3 Reasons for Optimism About the Ducks in 2021 by Athlon Sports

Oregon_Ducks_defense_Pac12_championship_2020.jpg?itok=xSOgDK29

Mr. FishDuck

I agree with the reasons to be optimistic. His reasoning makes sense. I believe that we have both players and coaches that are capable. The biggest factor that will decide whether this team will have a “monster” season is also our biggest unknown.  

Who plays QB?...and ultimately, how well they play, will determine how far this team will go. I really think this team will see a lot of improvement on offense and defense. Realistically, I am thinking we are still probably a year away from a monster season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

All three points are true. A run is possible. We can go 12-1 and end up in the playoffs. We can also go 9-3 and not get to the championship game.

A lot of things have to come together. The funny ball has to bounce the right way.

The defense has to come together and help the offense. If this happens then the offense can grow as the season progresses.

The problem last year was evident in our game against OSU. Shough struggled and the defense wasn't there to help him out. Next year we need the defense to be there when our qb struggles. If this happens then next season could be a fun one.

We could also have a qb rise and take over with authority. We could then have a season to remember. I am not counting on this, we need to the defense to lead next year in every game.

To me, if Flowe is healthy to go along with Sewell,  Funa, Mr. Thibs, Dorlus with Hill, McKinley and Wright lurking in the secondary, that's a lot to like! 

The Buckeye game will set the tone and many are nervous about it but I'd add that OSU is breaking in a new QB too.  The Ducks could steal that game under Brown's veteran  leadership with a bunch of seasoned playmakers coming back for him to throw and hand the ball off too. 

Dorlus and Flowe are the X factors for me.  If they show out, our D will be DAMN GOOD with all the proven studs we already know assisting them. 

I also agree year after next this team could be lethal, national championship good! 

20 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

I also agree year after next this team could be lethal, national championship good! 

This whole scenario shouts 2022 to me...

Mase Funa_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah.....I'm more on the 2022 or even 2023 bandwagon. 

I personally think if we get our expectations too high for next season we will be taking a hard fall back down to earth.

We are likely to lose a few that we should easily win and barely win a few that should of been blow out wins.  So kind of like this past COVID season.

We should have an improved year but a monster year will depend on how smooth the improvements are. 

For example:
     Will our transition to a new QB be without squabbles ??
     Will Flowe be healthy and has he been keeping up his own development ??
     Will MC let Moorhead call all the plays and not interfere by demanding "dives up the middle" on 4th and short ??
     Will our lightweight backfield of Verdell and Dye hold up, stay healthy and produce ??

I don't see us getting into the playoffs in 2021 with a one loss season unless USC and Washington are highly ranked and of course we beat them both. If we can take another Pac-12 championship 2022 looks very promising for a "monster year" and a National Playoff run.