HawaiiDuck

UC Regents Okay UCLA to B1G

UCLA required to subsidize Cal $2-10M per year.

WWW.LATIMES.COM

UC regents are done fighting UCLA's...

Saddened to hear this. I was holding out hope that perhaps UCLA would stay in the PAC but it wasn't meant to be I guess.

The loss of both USC and UCLA is definitely a serious blow to the PAC. Although I know that there are other factors leading to this, thanks goes out to Mr. Larry Scott for destroying the conference.

The only other school that maybe should be added at this point is SDSU. The other schools mentioned in other posts would probably only have a marginal benefit at best to the PAC or otherwise would be a poor fit.

This is a call now for the remaining PAC schools to try their darndest to win against both LA schools in their last season in the PAC so they can have proper sendoffs to the B1G with below .500 records.

Don't let USC win the conference in 2023, and UCLA in basketball this year and next.  Show everyone they actually did not win titles that often in the last 20 years in the Pac.

Don't schedule any sport for non-conference contests; make them figure their own west-coast pod out.

I am sure they will make a
GREAT jump to the B1G...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

AS if I already didn't have enough to dissect this off-season...NOW they go and throw this in the mix.

I do NOT appreciate this and may have to craft a strongly worded letter to those regents using some bold and CAPITAL fonts!

I gotta tell ya, what is an over-anxious, over-thinking, over-analyzing, over-zealous Duck fans supposed to do??

Welp, time to call the doc and up the mg's on the BP med.  

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It will be really interesting to hear how much UCLA will be paying CAL every year.  The UC regents haven't decided how often UCLA is to pay CAL.  UCLA also said they will be spending an additional 11-12 mil per year on athletes with this move.  So, add another 10 mil per year for CAL, that is 21-22 mil per year.  Hope it is worth it.

Love how UCLA AD said they won't be playing Rutgers every week, so in the grand scheme of things it isn't that much.  Nearly all of the B1G TEN schools are more than double the distance than all but UW.  Sorry, but UCLA AD is a dope thinking it isn't all that much.

Flight time/flight miles  I used the same flight calculator, so I have no idea why it would have some place closer have longer flight times, but it gives the jist of the differences.

Pac 12       Big Ten    
WSU 2.1 886   Nebraska 3.02 1269
UW 3 955   Minnesota 3.03 1524
UO 1.3 748   Iowa 3.22 1437
OSU 1.33 775   Wisconsin 3.51 1671
Cal 0.57 347   Northwestern 3.31 1746
Stanford 0.57 347   Illinois 3.54 1701
AU 1.03 440   Purdue 3.37 1555
ASU 0.59 370   Indiana 3.33 1810
Utah 1.25 589   MSU 4.2 1913
CO 1.47 825   Michigan 3.5 1948
        tOSU 3.48 1978
        PSU 5 2249
        Rutgers 4.46 2442
        Maryland 4.32 2304
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jon Gold: Winners and losers from UCLA's big Board of Regents meeting

In less than 2 years, UCLA — as well as its crosstown rival USC — will head east, helping the Big Ten extend its footprint to four time zones.

That means increased travel, yes, and plenty of headaches. It also means grander possibilities than could ever have been achieved by staying pat.

This is a bold move. The type of move a bold program makes, detractors be damned.

And that’s the thing: Some people will end up damned.

Who will come out ahead and who will be left behind with this big decision?

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Now that UCLA's move to the Big Ten is official after the UC Board of Regents voted to approve the decision, we can finally focus on...

A lemming jumping off a cliff is the perfect symbol for what UCLA is doing. Lemming don't actually often die when they jump into the water to get to where they are going. They only die when the swimming distance is too far.

Joining the BIG is going to be too big of a distance for their student athletes to be expected to traverse. The academics will suffer, but what is new in this new age of opportunistic decisions. Chase after the money at all cost. 

With the ability to transfer and NIL money it seemed like the student athlete was going to come out ahead. With the decisions of the Universities, and their leadership some of the school aren't thinking in the best interest of the student athletes. Maybe their will be a backlash, it will be interesting to see.

I wouldn't want to send my child to a university with travel expectations like those laid out.

images.jpeg

The pack should cancel all games with both schools and let them wallow around trying to fill a schedule with the the likes of Rising slow state and mid evil college. Of coarse weight till about a month before the season starts.

• Like 1

I definitely wouldn't have issues with all Pac-12 teams to never schedule games with USC/UCLA again.  Bitter and petty, yep!

On 12/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, Tandaian said:

I definitely wouldn't have issues with all Pac-12 teams to never schedule games with USC/UCLA again.  Bitter and petty, yep!

Agree with this.  The PAC should have pushed them out the door and and not scheduled another game with those two schools.  Instead, the PAC rolled over and is allowing both USC and UCLA to keep their beach volleyball teams in the PAC conference after the transition to the BIG. 

• Like 1

boot them to the curb now. Let the lawyers sort it out. 

• Go Ducks! 1