OC Duck

Can Oregon save face for the PAC12

WOW!  I watched the Colorado game last night hoping that they would show up and show the rest of the nation that the PAC12 can compete with the rest of the conferences.
I often grow tired of the rhetoric about how bad the PAC12 is and this beatdown by a mid-tier Big12 team is only going to make things worse.
Colorado was supposedly one of the PAC12’s best teams. YIKES!  We will hear the excuses that supposedly Colorado was only playing with 49 players but the rest of the nation on hears that one of the best teams in the PAC12 got dominated by a mediocre Texas team that lost their starting quarterback after halftime.
The PAC12 is in trouble and the only chance we have to redeem any respectability this year is for our Ducks to go out and beat ISU. a heavy burden to carry but I think our Ducks are up to the challenge. 

Thanks for the great insight. I will also be curious about the game tonight. I almost always root against the SEC. 😀

I share your concerns OC, as I don't know what generated more stomach acid for me; watching Texas score again or hearing more praise and tribute to the Longhorn QB.  I figured it had to end at some point, and finally just muted the darn thing...

Mr. FishDuck

A few other things to think about this year.... 

The big-12 has played almost a full slate of games and the practice time that comes with it. The big-12 has in effect had double the season than the pac-12 and that is a lot of player development time that just can't be made up. 

Also Colorado is probably the no. 4 team in the pac-12 this year. With the top four being... Oregon, USC, Washington, and Colorado. I'm actually not even convinced washington is a top 4 team of the PAC this year and if be inclined to put Stanford in front of them... No matter. 

But Colorado was put into the Alamo Bowl because USC and Washington had both opted out of bowl games. Colorado has been a surprise this year but three head coaches across three years takes its toll on any program and Colorado has a nice base to grow on. 

Just a shame it reflects poorly on the conference. 

It is up to Oregon to carry the touch for the conference... Last time the conference was truly relevant was in 2014 and guess who was leading the conference then... Oregon. 

Out of the way Huskies, Trojans and Trees the conference needs the Ducks.

3 hours ago, Jon Joseph said:

So yeah, if the Ducks cannot come through on Saturday?

If Oregon wins, more about how, "they backed into the whole conference championship thing", and who is Iowa State anyway? If they lose, it will discussed for about :30 of precious ESPN time. It would barely get that if it was a Pac-12 team not Oregon.

2 minutes ago, Jon Joseph said:

All good points. But, what about last year? SSDD.

No excuses for last year... 

The Pac-12.has had a lot of coaching turnover and programs influx... Oregon among them. So hopefully we see some significant turnout next year and some non-confrence wins both early season and bowl season. Not holdingy breath on that front though. 

Can Oregon save face for the PAC12 - - - -  Only in a pipe dream. 

The Pac-12 is irrelevant and continuing down from there. The game on Friday will not be a given for the Ducks. I would like to see them win but I am a realist, it's a long shot.

The Pac-12 will still be the same old Pac-12 if the Ducks win or not. Because we have not beaten anyone significant and because of the difficult situation Larry Scott and his friends have put us in over the years, and no school in the Pac-12 is raising their voice against them. No school in the Pac-12 is standing up and saying it's time for a change. No school in the Pac-12 has the moxie to take a stand.

The only recourse we fans can come up with is to run, jump conference. I suspect that is what the schools are thinking also. I'm sorry but I put the blame for the Pac-12 situation on the schools as much as Larry and friends.

What is the cost of having a good Pac-12 conference - - - "involvement"

6 minutes ago, Jon Joseph said:

BDF, I sadly but roundly, agree with you. Follow the $. It is not flowing its way CBB/CFB west. Please see my response to David Marsh's latest + excellent comment, on this thread.

IF many of Oregon's conference members even care about competing at the upper CBB/CFB P5 levels, and I question this, the $ simply is not there to do so.

Run Puddles, run!

You raise a good point about the Pac-12 schools not caring about competing at the upper CBB/CFB P5 level. I'll have to ponder that for awhile. 

When was the last time a Pac-12 team beat anyone significant ??  Winning on Friday will be the same, a win over no one significant, and a loss will be a loss to no one significant. 

4 hours ago, Jon Joseph said:

'Almost?' Slacker!

Sometimes the might have to play the Huskies. 😀