Desert Duck

Verbitment

When it come to college football recruiting today, I think it's time to stop using the terms "Commitment," and "Committed."

Clearly, the world no longer understands what the root word "commit" means.

I'd suggest we start using the term, "Verbitment" --- as in "Verbal Commitment."

As in meaningless. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Gotta disagree. I think most commitments are honored by recruits. It's just the few big, emotional dramas, like Dante Moore, that grab our attention. I'll wager that most of the Ducks' commits come in as promised. Most kids and their families have gone through a long-term evaluation process and aren't likely to change their minds at the last minute once they've made what is a major life decision.

Edited by jrw

On 12/17/2022 at 11:34 AM, Desert Duck said:

as in "Verbal Commitment

Or, "NILitment"

• Thumbs Up 2

Every year 90-95% of verbals hold true and sign, but there are always a few that provide negative drama.  But our coaching staff is in on a number that could go the other way for us...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/17/2022 at 12:47 PM, jrw said:

Gotta disagree. I think most commitments are honored by recruits. 

Obviously you are correct. I remember reading an article that said something like 85+% of verbal commitments do follow through. 

When I was young in my career, I had my weekly meeting with my Manager and I told him I had a client verbal commitment. He said, "You mean verbitment."

Fortunately, by far, most kids follow through. My comment above was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. 

• Thumbs Up 2

When we rooting for and rejoice when the Ducks flip a great player, we have to expect some of the same going in the other directions. No hard feelings no matter what happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have trouble getting excited about 2024 verbals. And those saying they are solid.

• Haha 1