HawaiiDuck

It's Official - Dante Moore Flipped to UCLA

Byeeeeeee

He obviously doesn't want to sit behind, and learn from a veteran QB like Nix.  And also not having KD here prolly didn't help. 

Oh well. We'll be alright. 

Edited by Krsmqn
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Damn Oregon sucks. Can't get Moore to stay and can't flip Proctor 

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1

This definitely hurts, but you gotta move on. In this new age of NIL/transfer portal football, I think you have to plan ONE YEAR AT A TIME. With Bo's decision to play another year, we've got our QB for 2023. Now, let's get some great defensive players to sign.

• Thumbs Up 2

It will be interesting to see what happens at UCLA and the QB competition.  Kent State QB Collin Schlee isn't transferring to sit on the bench.  UCLA also have 3 QBs that could come back next season.

Sometimes you suck lemons, sometimes it's a sweet navel orange... It's all relative!

On 12/19/2022 at 9:47 AM, Oregon0s said:

Eeyore_From YouTube.jpg

Oh my....I headed to where Oregon recruiting is....the crapper!

• Haha 7
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

This news actually isn't all that upsetting to me.  We have Bo, TT gets another year to develop and maybe be that guy we were all hoping for.  And, who knows what the transfer portal drops into Autzen.

• Thumbs Up 1

With Bo back, not worried about QB2 until next recruiting/transfer portal/NIL season.

My FishDuck Friends,

This is how we protect you from reading more of this nonsense, as I noticed this new member had written more than one of these. He just signed up last night...

I just sent an inquiry email and received confirmation that no...he is not an Oregon fan.

He was here to troll, and is now banned.

You gotta take the trash out once in a while!

Charles

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 10
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

So much we don't know about his decision.  I for one will not fault anyone for making a life changing decision and there has to be a lot going into his decision besides just scorning a fan base.  Much respect for DM and hope he thrives until he plays the Ducks. 

In the meantime, we can all agree that the dynamic nature of college football has changed so much that the likelihood of having a favorite player commit and stay committed for their entire college career is waning and we have to be a little more thick skinned and positive in nature and enjoy the drama.  Are you not entertained?

I do very much trust DL and his coaches.  I can not imagine the 5D puzzle that it is to build culture, run a practice, have a winning scheme on offense and defense, navigate the media; AND, deal with NIL, transfer portals and the age of social media recruiting.  Tip of the hat to you coaches.  I have a hard enough time running a school, I can't even imagine how challenging their job is and I don't want pile on any couch coaching when they're in the muck each day.

They will win some of these recruiting battles and they will lose some.  Players will have more mobility and seemingly selfish decisions than ever before...but again, they have to do what is right for them.  I am highly entertained by all of this...that's a win right? 

• Great post! 5
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Per the ESPN article, he said that Dillingham leaving made him re-consider his commitment to the Ducks.  Like others have said, I'm not as upset about his decision.  We've got a proven QB1 in Bo Nix, and for me, proven under fire is a lot better than potential on the field.  He's a 5-star, sure, but not all 5-stars pan out.  

Also, with UCLA bringing in Colin Schlee, and the QBs on UCLA's roster who return, we could be in the mix for this young man next season via the transfer portal.  

The future is bright, my Duck friends!

WWW.YAHOO.COM

The loss of 5-star QB Dante Moore is unfortunate, but Oregon's 2023 outlook is still as positive as ever with Bo Nix returning in 2023.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

lets be real.. the late push came from Adidas who had a relationship with Dante's High School.  UCLA is an Adidas school.  

There you have it...

• Great post! 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

My FishDuck Friends,

This is how we protect you from reading more of this nonsense, as I noticed this new member had written more than one of these. He just signed up last night...

I just sent an inquiry email and received confirmation that no...he is not an Oregon fan.

He was here to troll, and is now banned.

You gotta take the trash out once in a while!

Charles

🤗

Okay, good to get the Moore drama settled...next man up!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/19/2022 at 10:49 AM, jrw said:

Okay, good to get the Moore drama settled...next man up!

Yep.....with Bo back, use his NLI dough for Proctor and Hicks.  In the portal era, taking a HS QB seems like a gamble unless he is the next Herbert/Mahomes and you don't have a potential Heisman candidate in uniform.

Maybe Phil can convince the Uiagalelei bros. to sign on?

On 12/19/2022 at 12:47 PM, Oregon0s said:

Damn Oregon is way better than the fuskies. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Mic drop 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

with Bo back, use his NLI dough

One hypothesis being bandied about was that Bo's decision to return was predicated on getting sufficient NIL dough to stick around. Who knows? It's all speculation. I think he threw the I Ching.

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Can anybody else smell the troll?

The use of the "zero" in his handle was what tipped me off.

Hypothetical.  Could an incoming freshman enroll early (January), participate in spring practice and then enter the late transfer portal window?

I assume they could.  Wouldn't that make the Holy Grail of a signed letter of intent almost obsolete?

On 12/19/2022 at 12:52 PM, Tandaian said:

It will be interesting to see what happens at UCLA and the QB competition.  Kent State QB Collin Schlee isn't transferring to sit on the bench.  UCLA also have 3 QBs that could come back next season.

If DJU shows up it might throw a wrench into a lot of these kid’s plans. Oh well, that’s CFB these days. We got our QB.

On 12/19/2022 at 2:05 PM, McDuck said:

Hypothetical.  Could an incoming freshman enroll early (January), participate in spring practice and then enter the late transfer portal window?

I assume they could.  Wouldn't that make the Holy Grail of a signed letter of intent almost obsolete?

I don’t see why not. It might make more sense to stay a year, collect your NIL money and then move on to the better offer. That’s been done a few times.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, Lrod said:

lets be real.. the late push came from Adidas who had a relationship with Dante's High School.  UCLA is an Adidas school.  

There you have it...

Actually, UCLA is now a Jordan school and is part of the Nike family. 

WWW.LATIMES.COM

UCLA's deal with Jordan Brand and Nike pays out less than half of what the...

• Like 1

I’m not upset at all with the Moore flip and wish him luck.

Having Bo Nix back is much better for next year’s possibilities (e.g., conference championship, playoffs, Heisman). I hope we can sign a transfer QB this year and then we can recruit one or two QBs in next year’s class (preferably one who doesn’t expect to start as a freshman or is looking for a huge NIL deal).

There are much more important positions to recruit RIGHT NOW. The future is NOW. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, HawaiiDuck said:

Per the ESPN article, he said that Dillingham leaving made him re-consider his commitment to the Ducks. 

If Moore had such a close relationship with Dillingham, why didn’t he consider or visit ASU?

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 9:26 AM, OregonDucks said:

If Moore had such a close relationship with Dillingham, why didn’t he consider or visit ASU?

Probably because UCLA road games would be close to his home in Michigan where his family could see him play, and let's be honest - Dillingham has a huge re-building project at ASU versus what Chip's built at UCLA (17-7 over the last two years).  Although Moore probably has/had a strong relationship with Dillingham, in the end, he felt UCLA ticked more boxes.  

Per article: 

"Moore mentioned that the UCLA heading to the Big Ten, where it starts play in the 2024 season, was a factor in his decision.

"The TV time and exposure is going to be great for me to market myself as being a quarterback and being an athlete at this point," he said."

"Moore said his priority in recruitment was a place that could develop him the best, and he feels like he found that at UCLA."

Smells like a wet dog to me

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When that visit pic with him came out and he had shades on, I viewed that as a bad sign. Also, his announcement pic has Hollywood and dry rolling hills in the back ground. When a kid from the mid west goes to Cali in the winter it's easy to get energized by the sunny surroundings. You really can't Blame him for wanting to go to an exciting big market. 

We will be fine, there are so many excellent players available every year through the portal.

On 12/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, jrw said:

The use of the "zero" in his handle was what tipped me off.

Yep, I saw that when he signed up, but many times I have thought the worst of a new member--and it turns out I misread it. Some of you may have received an inquiry email from me in the beginning, and thus I was wrong in my suspicions.  I catch most right away, but some do fool me for a bit.  (So much work behind the scenes)

So I let them prove me that he/she is a Troll...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is NIL money. He said it was because of KD leaving, so he went to a different coach last minute... Sorry, reaks of Russell Wilson type attitude. Try to sound like a good person while chasing $$$ and putting on a front. 

If it was based on relationships and opportunities, it would have been ASU.

I feel we are a lot better off with BO than an unproven rookie.

• Go Ducks! 1

I think there new new strategy for recruiting QBs should be go after three star and low four-star prospects willing to sit and learn if they don't pan out get a transfer portal QB.

No big NIL money upfront for QBs that are unproven. If the  three star works out pay him if he doesn't get the best portal QB money can buy.

This whole thing is starting to sound a lot more like how I run my business with hiring and firing. The qualified person that wants the big bucks, has a big ego and makes big promises is not always the best person for the position. I personally find that starting someone off at a lower wage and training them myself pays dividends in the long run.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, Dave23 said:

This whole thing is starting to sound a lot more like how I run my business with hiring and firing. The qualified person that wants the big bucks, has a big ego and makes big promises is not always the best person for the position. I personally find that starting someone off at a lower wage and training them myself pays dividends in the long run.

I hire both. But, always through a temp agency. After three months I either bring them onto my payroll or hand them back to the temp agency.

Unfortunately, college athletics isn't as simple as my little business.

Oh well - we win some, we lose some. Two of the best QB's in Duck history were rated at 3-stars coming out of high school - Marcus Mariota and Justin Herbert. Both were also 1st round NFL draft picks. Unfortunately, Mariota's career didn't quite pan out as hoped.

Admittedly, losing Dante Moore stings. But perhaps that is the better thing for both him and us. I've been reading some rantings on U of Michigan articles on DM that they grew tired of his supposedly prima donna attitude and that Oregon would be wise to let him go as well. So maybe not all is lost with DM's flip to UCLA.

Anyways, we got Bo back, so the future looks bright for next season. However, the Ducks do need to find a viable back-up/future starter either through the portal or recruiting one out of high school. I would probably worry more about the QB fitting the system rather than the star power.

IMHO, many 3-star rated QB's have a chip on their shoulders and feel like they have something to prove - so theoretically they'll work harder to be the best they can be. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, Krsmqn said:

Byeeeeeee

He obviously doesn't want to sit behind, and learn from a veteran QB like Nix.  And also not having KD here prolly didn't help. 

Oh well. We'll be alright. 

He literally said Nix coming back was not a factor. I don't think he even expects to start. He said he left because Dillingham left, and that he went to UCLA because he likes the offense Chip Kelly ran when he was at Oregon. So, basically he's not impressed it UTSA's Will Stein. I can't blame him. I'm not sure why we hired someone who has not proven themselves in a P5 or NFL high profile job.

We'll get him on transfer next year when he finds out how much UCLA sucks and how they fall to the bottom of the B1G. 🤑

Who cares.  I would rather have proven competitors than prima donna front runners without a competitive spirit.  

On 12/19/2022 at 4:20 PM, 2002duck said:

He literally said Nix coming back was not a factor. I don't think he even expects to start. He said he left because Dillingham left, and that he went to UCLA because he likes the offense Chip Kelly ran when he was at Oregon. So, basically he's not impressed it UTSA's Will Stein. I can't blame him. I'm not sure why we hired someone who has not proven themselves in a P5 or NFL high profile job.

I get it but Oregon's record is better than Chip's and UCLA since Chip became the head coach down there--even with MC. I said earlier he just wants to be in the B1G.

Also remember that Chip came to Oregon from New Hampshire.

Edited by 1Ducker1
add

On 12/19/2022 at 5:26 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I get it but Oregon's record is better than Chip's and UCLA since Chip became the head coach down there--even with MC. I said earlier he just wants to be in the B1G

I'm no great prognosticator but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say UCLA is going to find the sledding might tough in the B1G next season.  They looked great this year (til Oregon upset their apple cart) but I don't see them looking much better than mediocre next season.  I could be very wrong, of course and they still have Chip Kelly leading them - and if that's what Moore wants, that's what he got.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:31 PM, Mic said:

I'm no great prognosticator but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say UCLA is going to find the sledding might tough in the B1G next season.  They looked great this year (til Oregon upset their apple cart) but I don't see them looking much better than mediocre next season.  I could be very wrong, of course and they still have Chip Kelly leading them - and if that's what Moore wants, that's what he got.

I see schools like Iowa and Purdue kicking sand in the faces of our lil fellars from the la la land--yearly

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 12/19/2022 at 5:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I see schools like Iowa and Purdue kicking sand in the faces of our lil fellars from the la la land--yearly

Well we do know this - it's a whole different brand of football being played in the Midwest than the West coast and big, strong teams can be very hard to beat, esp when playing in their home states in October and November.  Of course, Chip should know all about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

UCLA will have a huge hole at running back with the graduation of Zach Charbonnet and his 2500 rushing yards over the last two seasons.  Guy was impressive and I doubt his production will be replaced.

• Applause 1

On 12/19/2022 at 5:47 PM, McDuck said:

UCLA will have a huge hole at running back with the graduation of Zach Charbonnet and his 2500 rushing yards over the last two seasons.  Guy was impressive and I doubt his production will be replaced.

And am I right in thinking DTR's gone too?

Edited by Mic

On 12/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, Mic said:

He has used up his eligibility.

• Thanks 1

According to Mike Farrell,  UCLA made a NIL offer that was substantially better than Oregon's.  Considering that he may have to sit at UCLA as well,  is likely  giving up the chance to compete  in the playoffs,  and either way would have a new OC and new coach,  I'm inclined to believe that $$$$ were an important issue. 

Still have no ill will towards the kid, who by all counts is a great person, not just a great player.  But it's a reminder that kids change their minds and until they sign, who knows what will happen. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, Mic said:

Also their top receiver.  Plus just glanced at the two deep and the starting tight end and three starting OL are listed as seniors.  No idea how snaps were divided between 1st and 2nd string but seven of the starting offense will not be returning.

Thinking if I were 17 years old and was offered significantly more $$$ to play at a great university like UCLA in a beautiful sunny climate I am throwing my stuff in a duffel bag and hitting the road to Westwood.

Can you imagine being that young and somebody offers you an additional $200K a year (just making up numbers) to play football? For that money I would take a lower probability of making the playoffs.

I was happy to have a $20 in my pocket for the weekend when I was going to the U of O. Of course pitchers of beer were $1.50 and the Dairy Queen special was something like $1.49. Slices of pizza were a buck at Sy's so things were definitely different!