FishDuck Article

Yogi Roth: “What ELSE do you WANT, Oregon Fans?”

The above quote might seem jarring to us today, but on the night of the Pac-12 Football Championship in December the words of Yogi Roth rang quite true.  I recorded the segment “Pac-12 After Dark” and kept it for precisely for what we are doing now; to see if what he declared that evening still has relevance two months later. ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thank You Fish. What a thoughtful and fair article analyzing the reality of 2020. I've been chirping that Shough hasnt received a fair shake, and this article was in part why. 1 start on the offensive line? Oh boy, it would take a phenom to overcome such youthful protection and be successful. And our defense seemed soft in the middle. Your article shares with us why. We took the General off the field and introduced the Private. I'm loving how this year is shaping up and especially if we get a full Spring and Fall ball to prepare for a full season. Thx again Fish! 

The reality of 2020-21 is that we have Cristobal for the longterm and, as stated, the team is one voice, one heart beat. Contrast that with what you see at sc and we are very lucky. Cristobal brings players in, keeps them moving forward and in tune.

The other item is he brought in the best class we have ever had, and still has a chance at one of, if not the best player in the class. Top that with 3 4* recruits, already, for the 2022 class and pipeline to the playoffs is primed.

I love the picture of Cristobal sitting on the field with his player. Contrast that with, what I remember was, Helton chasing after his players, tying to get them to behave and get off the field. This is Cristobal's team, program and family.  We do indeed have a lot to be thankful, but questions do remain.

There is plenty of time to discuss and answer those questions. This doesn't take away from our ability to be grateful, and still ponder those points. This is what is so nice about Fishduck, which we should also be grateful for. Thank you Charles, and bring on Spring Ball!

What do I want as a Duck fan?...never lose to the Rodents is high on my list. It just makes Rodent fans even more annoying. However, I have to admit that I always cheer for OSU whenever they play UW. 

Young players make mistakes and we certainly had a lot of them on the field last year. So many variables contributed to make 2020 a disappointing year for Duck football. What excites me now is the number of young players that now have game experience, they should play much better as a team going forward.

The coaches are definitely bringing in young talent with a lot of potential. I am very interested in watching how far that potential can take us.

Go Ducks

2020 was all about turnovers for the Ducks. On both sides. They lost the turnover battle badly. A sign of inexperience and nerves in my mind. Hopefully something we will see turn around in future seasons.

Gaining perspective is always a good thing. Sometimes stepping back can give one a chance to reevaluate. This team grew up in the worst of circumstances and will be the better for it in the future.

3 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

This is what is so nice about FishDuck, which we should also be grateful for. Thank you Charles, and bring on Spring Ball!

Thanks Haywarduck, as since I have been so critical at times--I needed to consider many more points that have been forgotten over the last two months.  Watching that show again was quite an eye-opener...

Mr. FishDuck

3 hours ago, C J said:

2020 was all about turnovers for the Ducks. On both sides. They lost the turnover battle badly. A sign of inexperience and nerves in my mind. Hopefully something we will see turn around in future seasons.

I agree. Turnovers were the difference between going 7-0 and 4-3.
Going from top-10 in turnover margin in 2019 to 2020 is mind boggling. Oregon’s turnover margin from 2019 to 2020 is the all time record for change from one year to the next, a negative 2.5 per game change. 2019 Oregon was 5th in country, and 2020 they were 121st out of 127. 

The running backs fumbled more in half the games. Shough threw a pick 3.6% of attempts, Herbert was 1.4%. The team fumbled the ball more times in seven games than they did in 14. Giveaways went from .8 per game in 2019 to 2.3 in 2020. Meanwhile, the defense only forced turnovers in two of seven games, ranking 106th the year after being 11th in 2019. 

When it’s both the offense and defense getting so much worse that it’s a statistical anomaly that means there are multiple reasons for both. The inexperience you mentioned is the biggest one. I’d think the result on defense is different with takeaway artists like Jevon Holland, Thomas Graham, and Brady Breeze. On offense it’s obviously the QB decision making. Luck is also a big part of turnovers, because the football bounces the way it does and a longer season would flatten out the statistics a bit. Secondary factors include the poor pass rush from the DL and blitzes that are supposed to help force turnovers, and possibly the offense having more of an option element. 

The good news is that the team was competitive despite that ugly turnover ratio. I’m expecting a huge improvement for 2021. No doubt there will be ball security drills galore for the offense, and an emphasis on creating turnovers by the defense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That week was an incredible week for duck fans. 

As for the Fiesta Bowl fiasco ... Oregon played poorly. The defense was ground down in the first half but showed up in the second half.

The offense was a complete hot mess. For me the tell tale sign of a failing offense is when they play two quarterbacks. Now occasionally throwing in a backup with a weird package can be a good thing (as seen in the pac-12 championship game) but outside of that it is a sign of a lack of quarterback leadership and desperation. 

In truth the fiesta bowl felt more like a quarterback competition game for Oregon than a cohesive offense. 

For young teams sometimes losing games is far more valuable than winning because they learn a lot. Here's hoping for a better 2021 season with a full off season.

Also... Is it the spring game yet? I know I didn't get my football fill this last season and I really need another taste right now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

The team fumbled the ball more times in seven games than they did in 14.

That... And the ball was very unforgiving this year where it seemed to bounce away from Oregon players and into the opponents hands. That also goes for fumbles from other teams. 

It doesn't excuse the lack of ball security by any means but if the ball was nicer to us itay not have been as bad. 

Though we all know what is being preached and practiced this off season offensively... Secure the flipping ball! 

I want JTT!

Mr Yogi Hmmm what do all Oregon Duck Football fans want? The hardware Mr Yogi as in the Championship Trophy!