Charles Fischer

5-Star Safety Peyton Bowen Committed to Oregon on Wednesday, but Snags Develop...

A shot at a Top-Five Class now?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

With this, Matayo, and the rest of the class, I believe in Dan the Man! My goodness. I think DL might be my favorite Ducks coach; humility, football chops, and recruiting chops. What a combo!

• Thumbs Up 1

While visions of a suffocating defense danced in our heads!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Great pickup at another position of need!

Hope Peyton (great name) can contribute right away. The coaches have prioritized revamping Oregon’s defense with over half of the class playing on that side of the ball. 

Edited by OregonDucks
Expanded

We all knew defense was a major hurdle for the Ducks to get to a natty and DL and his staff are addressing it. 

I’m sure they are not even close to being done.

Go🦆🦆🦆s

• Let’s hope! 1

Wow, this one was unexpected as I thought he was flipping to Oklahoma.  Defense is getting better in a hurry!

Great to see the D improving quickly!!

He hasn't signed yet. What's up?

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2022 at 11:00 AM, Duck 1972 said:

He hasn't signed yet. What's up?

Give it a sec.  He just had his press conference at his HS.

Peyton Bowen is a ball hawkin' safety.  GREAT pickup by Coach Lanning and Oregon!

GO DUCKS!!!

Rumor is parents want Notre Dame.  Mom doesn't look happy when he announces Oregon

Bowen has still not sent in his paperwork.  Not a good sign for Oregon. 

On 12/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, McDuck said:

Rumor is parents want Notre Dame.  Mom doesn't look happy when he announces Oregon

Nah, she looked shocked he picked ND. Then she looked emotionally relieved with Oregon.

On 12/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I don't think its anything. The kid needs to go through 'His Day'. He may send it at anytime and could make it part of 'His Day' sending it off after some hooplah. 

On 12/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Is there a hard deadline on when the paperwork has to get off?

On 12/21/2022 at 4:20 PM, Mic said:

Is there a hard deadline on when the paperwork has to get off?

Friday is the last day for early signing period.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, McDuck said:

Just curious, where have you seen these rumors regarding Peyton Bowen? I also asked on another thread but haven't been told where to find this rumor. I've been reading about his commitment, watched his commitment tape several times and haven't seen any mention of his parents questioning his decision regarding Oregon or them being unhappy with his decision.

These kids have a lot of reasons for delaying. In reading an article about Dante Moore, his commitment announcement to UCLA was delayed because he decided to hire someone to design a special one for him instead of using the UCLA one. This is the one showing him in sunglasses with Hollywood on it. He has until Friday to sign early.

Crystal balls starting to come in for Bowen to flip to Oklahoma today.  This is crazy!!

On 12/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, GeotechDuck said:

Crystal balls starting to come in for Bowen to flip to Oklahoma today.  This is crazy!!

I don't like the sound of this...if he flips to Oklahoma, I wonder if Hicks will have had anything to do with it...

Where in the world does Crystal Balls get their info? Does that family talk with everyone else but themselves? 

If he comes to Oregon then I'm stoked. But, Noone, and I mean NOONE knows where that kid is going until his letter is sitting in a HC's office printer tray.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:34 AM, GeotechDuck said:

On 12/22/2022 at 8:40 AM, Wrathis said:

I don't like the sound of this...if he flips to Oklahoma, I wonder if Hicks will have had anything to do with it...

Hicks is a Texas A&M commit - not a Sooner. I don't see how he fits into this.

We could be watching the first ESD live commit that is just a chess move NIL play. Last week it was rumored the Ducks and Sooners were in a NIL bidding war over the kid. 

Now he is giving the Sooners a chance to up the NIL offer if they want - he could also be trying to rope the Ducks into a new bid on his NIL. 

Maybe he will put on a Sooner hat today and a Ducks hat on Friday.

Edited by DazeNconfused

It isn't my money, but I hope the Ducks never get in a bidding war for High School kids.  Players of course deserve to make their money, but I think it is silly to be giving huge money to HS kids.  Just like the NFL has rookie caps, because they are unproven at the next level.  When you produce, then you get paid.

Time for a "reality" tv show about high school football recruiting.

This kid is not going to make or break the Duck program, clearly he is holding out for the most $$. Yet he is UNPROVEN at the next level.

Did he sign a LOI? or is it still verbal.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

This kid is not going to make or break the Duck program, clearly he is holding out for the most $$. Yet he is UNPROVEN at the next level.

Maybe all the great press Oregon's getting right now might help him make up his mind for Oregon. Seems Oregon is being declared the big winner of Signing Day 2022 (even tho Alabama 'won' the most signees).  Don't ask me why but it probably has more to do with the fact that many in the National media think Oregon ought to be a perennial cellar-dweller and can't figure out why they're doing so well.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:44 AM, Duckhart said:

Did he sign a LOI? or is it still verbal.

He signed it, but has not transmitted it to Oregon by fax yet.  Thus he could sign another school's LOI, send it in and it counts.  First one received by the school...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Any word on that 5* DT from Texas flipping to Oregon?

On 12/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

No offense but this is not what is happening, according to reports. Peyton wants to be a Duck but his parents want him to go to Norte Dame.

Peyton Bowen’s high school tape is amazing. He is all over the field and is a ball hawk. Reminds me of Patrick Chung. Would be a huge pickup for Oregon and I would expect him to make an immediate impact. He will get paid regardless of where he goes. 

Hope the parents let the young man make his own decision but, unfortunately, I’ve seen this scenario play out before...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, OregonDucks said:

No offense but this is not what is happening, according to reports. Peyton wants to be a Duck but his parents want him to go to Norte Dame.

Peyton Bowen’s high school tape is amazing. He is all over the field and is a ball hawk. Reminds me of Patrick Chung. Would be a huge pickup for Oregon and I would expect him to make an immediate impact. He will get paid regardless of where he goes. 

Hope the parents let the young man make his own decision but, unfortunately, I’ve seen this scenario play out before...

I should have said his mom is holding out for more $$$ but who knows for sure, but he still is not going to make or break the team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Right now Im happy that we have a backup QB  and the D looks to be on an upward trend. Ill drink to that!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like now going to Oklahoma. Weird and probably caused by parents. Wonder how long he will stay there once he turns 18. 

On 12/22/2022 at 9:58 AM, Charles Fischer said:

He signed it, but has not transmitted it to Oregon by fax yet.  Thus he could sign another school's LOI, send it in and it counts.  First one received by the school..

Anyone else having flashbacks to the Alex Collins saga from a few years back?

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Many parents want their children to go to a certain school, usually one close to home. So in that regard, Alex Collins' mother isn't...

On 12/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, OregonDucks said:

according to reports. Peyton wants to be a Duck but his parents want him to go to Norte Dame.

The guy is from the Dallas, TX suburbs.  If he plays at Oklahoma his parents can go to every game and still live in Dallas.  If he plays at Notre Dame then his parents can fly a couple hours to South Bend and see quite a few of his games.  If he plays in Eugene his parents are looking at 8 hour flights to see his games.

My guess from the rumors is his parents want to see more of him during his college years and he really connected with the Oregon coaches/program.  It's a hard situation really, I completely understand if he ends up at Oklahoma.  Still, he's very likely to get more recognition playing at Oregon than Oklahoma... he's a better standout player in the PAC than the SEC.

His Mom was clapping for Notre Dame and covered her face when he switched to Oregon...  

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:12 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

If he plays in Eugene his parents are looking at 8 hour flights to see his games.

WHAT FLIGHT ARE YOU TAKING?!!!

There is a direct flight from Eugene to Dallas that takes ~3.5 hours.  I took it a few months ago. 

It can't be much further from Dallas to Eugene than it is from Dallas to South Bend, Indiana.  Is there a direct flight from South Bend to Dallas?

Edited by OregonDucks
Expand
  • Applause 1

So, it’s being reported by that he’s already signed with Oklahoma. 

On 12/22/2022 at 12:09 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

So, it’s being reported by that he’s already signed with Oklahoma. 

Oregon = Peyton’s choice

Notre Dame = parents’ choice 

Oklahoma = compromise?

Wonder what Oklahoma fans think about this and how Peyton will be received in Norman? How long before he is in the transfer portal?

I feel bad for Peyton. This is supposed to be HIS moment. He is a heck of a player and I wish him the best wherever he plays ball. 

Edited by OregonDucks

On 12/22/2022 at 12:39 PM, OregonDucks said:

WHAT FLIGHT ARE YOU TAKING?!!!

There is a direct flight from Eugene to Dallas that takes ~3.5 hours.  I took it a few months ago. 

It can't be much further from Dallas to Eugene than it is from Dallas to South Bend, Indiana.  Is there a direct flight from South Bend to Dallas?

3 1/2 hour drive Dallas to Norman. 

The non stop on Alaska or American is about 4 hours. Then you have to add for drive time to DFW -- could easily be +1 hour. Then you'd want to arrive about an hour before your flight = + 1 more hour. Then when you get to Eugene, add 30 minutes to pick your rental car. So, all-in-all, it's an easy 7 hour trip. Plus, flying these days usually sucks. Plus, being crammed in a can with another 180 people or so is never fun, especially with all the viruses making the rounds. 

But he still should have chosen Oregon.

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, Desert Duck said:

The non stop on Alaska or American is about 4 hours. Then you have to add for drive time to DFW -- could easily be +1 hour. Then you'd want to arrive about an hour before your flight = + 1 more hour. Then when you get to Eugene, add 30 minutes to pick your rental car. So, all-in-all, it's an easy 7 hour trip. Plus, flying these days usually sucks. Plus, being crammed in a can with another 180 people or so is never fun, especially with all the viruses making the rounds. 

I agree that Oklahoma is closer. Although a 3+ hour drive is not fun.

The original post was comparing the travel time from Dallas to Eugene vs. South Bend. The total travel time is ~50 minutes more to Eugene than to South Bend (3 hours and 37 minutes to Eugene vs. 2 hours and 46 minutes to South Bend). I doubt that would be the deciding factor between Oregon and Norte Dame.

Plus, with NIL $$$ the family could easily travel now to see Peyton play, if they wanted to, and pay for TSA Pre-Check!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:30 PM, Desert Duck said:

But he still should have chosen Oregon.

They live in Denton, so it’s only about a 2 hour drive. This may not have anything to do with his parents. It might be a ploy for him to leverage all teams for more money. If that’s the case, then I commend him on taking advantage of the benefits of capitalism.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had Global Entry for 10 years. But I'm also realistic regarding travel time, delays, etc. But $85 for 5 years of PreCheck is not a barrier for anyone. 

And yes, travel time to S Bend v Eugene is about the same. 

This situation seems to be rooted in one currently confused family not being remotely on the same page. 

I have just on word for them: Go-Ducks (okay... admittedly that's more like 1.5 words, or so).

On 12/22/2022 at 12:24 PM, OregonDucks said:

Oregon = Peyton’s choice

Notre Dame = parents’ choice 

Oklahoma = compromise?

Wonder what Oklahoma fans think about this and how Peyton will be received in Norman? How long before he is in the transfer portal?

I feel bad for Peyton. This is supposed to be HIS moment. He is a heck of a player and I wish him the best wherever he plays ball. 

His girlfriend attends Oklahoma IIRC.  As someone pointed out, Mothers and Girlfriends are still undefeated in recruiting. 
🤣

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Someone remind Mommy to pack the binky for Juniors sleepover 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/22/2022 at 1:51 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

They live in Denton, so it’s only about a 2 hour drive. This may not have anything to do with his parents. It might be a ploy for him to leverage all teams for more money. If that’s the case, then I commend him on taking advantage of the benefits of capitalism.

In the immortal words of Bob Sugar: "It's not 'show friends.' It's 'show business.'"

With NIL, this is more true than ever.

"Show me the money"

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/22/2022 at 1:51 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

They live in Denton, so it’s only about a 2 hour drive. This may not have anything to do with his parents. It might be a ploy for him to leverage all teams for more money. If that’s the case, then I commend him on taking advantage of the benefits of capitalism.

Absolutely. Great comment.

And I didn't realize that they live in Denton. That's an easy Portland-to-Eugene-ish type drive. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

It might be a ploy for him to leverage all teams for more money. If that’s the case, then I commend him on taking advantage of the benefits of capitalism.

Wouldn't they have negotiated the NIL deal before announcing his commitment on live television? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:24 PM, OregonDucks said:

Wonder what Oklahoma fans think about this and how Peyton will be received in Norman?

Peyton and his 5 stars would be warmly received in Norman.

On 12/22/2022 at 4:02 PM, OregonDucks said:

Wouldn't they have negotiated the NIL deal before announcing his commitment on live television? 

Could be. It may have only been a verbal deal.