Charles Fischer

5-Star Safety Peyton Bowen Committed to Oregon on Wednesday, but Snags Develop...

On 12/22/2022 at 3:53 PM, GeotechDuck said:

His girlfriend attends Oklahoma IIRC.  As someone pointed out, Mothers and Girlfriends are still undefeated in recruiting. 
🤣

I remember when Ryan Kelly flipped to Arizona State because of his GF. He either never played a snap or is a future HOFer in the NFL. I’ll let you all guess.

On 12/22/2022 at 2:07 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Could be. It may have only been a verbal deal.

"I'm still sorta moved by your 'My word is stronger than oak' comment." J Maguire

• Haha 1

This is sounding definite:

WWW.SI.COM

Texas Longhorns Recruiting Tracker: Check back often as we keep you up-to-date on Longhorns news as Texas looks to improve on...

Rumors of Hicks following him to Norman...

• Thumbs Up 1

My take on Bowen (and every other flip) is this. I would have loved to see what the future brought. However, I don’t miss you because you were never here. Now, Verone McKinley? 3-star safety. I missed him when he left early. I will miss Dont’ae Thornton as well. I will also feel sorry for him if he signs with Mario.

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:11 PM, Annie said:

This is sounding definite:

WWW.SI.COM

Texas Longhorns Recruiting Tracker: Check back often as we keep you up-to-date on Longhorns news as Texas looks to improve on...

Looks like Peyton is a lock for "Triple Committed":  Notre Dame > Oregon > Oklahoma

And if he hasn't actually signed with OU yet, maybe Texas might get in on the action before its all done. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:12 PM, JDuck said:

Rumors of Hicks following him to Norman...

Oklahoma needs all the help they can get. Bad season. Then, they move to the SEC. This isn’t the 1980’s. Everybody can pay players now. 

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:16 PM, Desert Duck said:

Looks like Peyton is a lock for "Triple Committed":  Notre Dame > Oregon > Oklahoma

And if he hasn't actually signed with OU yet, maybe Texas might get in on the action before its all done. 

Sounds now as if he has actually signed.

WWW.SI.COM

The longtime Notre Dame commit flipped to Oregon on Wednesday, but joined Oklahoma's 2023 signing class on Thursday.

Edited by Annie

He's gone

247SPORTS.COM

Peyton Bowen's commitment to Oregon will last all of about 24 hours it turns out. The five-star safety who surprisingly picked the Ducks over Notre Dame and

• Thumbs Up 1

I appreciate the humility about how poorly he handled all of that. I also feel bad for him that his family forced him to do what he didn't really want to do. He wanted to go to Oregon, but you can by this tweet that he was guilt-tripped and manipulated by his family. He would have made a good Duck, I think his character is actually good. Maybe we'll see him in the portal after a year and not living at home with mom and dad anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

We definitely don’t need kids creating distractions such as this.

Edited by Just Ducky

On 12/22/2022 at 2:21 PM, Steven A said:

He's gone

247SPORTS.COM

Peyton Bowen's commitment to Oregon will last all of about 24 hours it turns out. The five-star safety who surprisingly picked the Ducks over Notre Dame and

All I can say is that OU better have this kids signature in blue ink, on paper -- or it might be, "Hello Longhorns" by tomorrow. 

"Respect my Decision".

Which one? When you play games like you have then you can't be respected. 

He 'made' is decision to ND

He 'Made' his decision to Oregon

He 'Made' is decision to OU

I'm just curious, does he even know what his decision is? 

This kind of talent will be sorely missed, but this kind of drama Will Not Be Missed! Thank you for moving on. We'll take the cash now and fill Hicks tight fist even more thank you.

Edited by 1Funduck

On 12/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, 1Funduck said:

"Respect my Decision".

Which one? When you play games like you have then you can't be respected. 

He 'made' is decision to ND

He 'Made' his decision to Oregon

He 'Made' is decision to OU

I'm just curious, does he even know what his decision is? 

This kind of talent will be sorely missed, but this kind of drama Will Not Be Missed! Thank you for moving on. We'll take the cash now and fill Hicks tight fist even more thank you.

You keep using that word... | You Keep Using That Word, I Do ...

On 12/22/2022 at 10:52 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Hicks is a Texas A&M commit - not a Sooner. I don't see how he fits into this.

We could be watching the first ESD live commit that is just a chess move NIL play. Last week it was rumored the Ducks and Sooners were in a NIL bidding war over the kid. 

Now he is giving the Sooners a chance to up the NIL offer if they want - he could also be trying to rope the Ducks into a new bid on his NIL. 

Maybe he will put on a Sooner hat today and a Ducks hat on Friday.

Further down this thread you'll find where others apparently had read the same thing I did about Hicks and Peyton wanting to play together.  Oklahoma makes sense as Hicks was seriously entertaining them for a while, and now with Peyton committed, I can't help but wonder if Hicks will follow.  With both being from down here in Texas, I'm sure they've probably spent some time together in camps etc...

Peyton, like all of these top recruits, had a difficult decision to make. I got the feeling that he was really torn and he admitted that he could have handled the process better. That shows a lot of maturity.  

It’s time to move on and wish him the best of luck. The transfer portal is always open, if it doesn’t work out in Norman. 

Edited by OregonDucks

On 12/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, OregonDucks said:

There is a direct flight from Eugene to Dallas that takes ~3.5 hours

Ok fair point there is now a direct from Eugene to Dallas that is a 4 hour flight.  The last time I took that flight there wasn't and with a connection the shortest route was 8 hours.  South Bend is closer by a fair bit as I've taken the flight from Indianapolis to Dallas in like 2 and a half hours.  He picked Oklahoma though as I was saying because his parents can just drive up I35 every single weekend.

Keep in mind that the Eugene Airport doesn't have direct flights further east than Dallas and that does unfortunately make it harder to convince some parents to get behind their kid playing football at Oregon.  Especially if the kids parents work jobs that make frequent time off a problem like pretty much 99% of the country. 

As for the NIL leverage angle there are some teams that engage in that but as I understand how Oregon handles NIL it's not likely that "Oregon was being leveraged".  To me the evidence was in the video... watch it again and look at what his mom does when he switches for the Oregon hat.  

Don't care about it anymore. He wasn't a Duck before and he isn't one now so!

On 12/22/2022 at 6:14 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Don't care about it anymore. He wasn't a Duck before and he isn't one now so!

Good point.  I guess that's one way of looking at it...

On 12/22/2022 at 7:00 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Keep in mind that the Eugene Airport doesn't have direct flights further east than Dallas

But PKA, Phil Knight Air, has non-stop flights anywhere in the US. 

• Haha 1

Bowen was a "Duck" for less than 24 hours, not sure why a lot of people are frustrated with his decision. He is a high school kid making the biggest decision of his life to date.  Is it really all that surprising high school kids change their minds?

Just a random thought: We have 2 other 4* safety's in this class in Decambra and Tyler Turner. Does anyone have an (educated) opinion on the difference in floor/ceiling between these two and Bowen? 

Point being, I think we're still covered with blue-chip talent at the position...and while I'd like to land as many 5*'s as possible (in part to show we're running with the big dogs), more importantly I'd much prefer getting the MOST out of the talent we do have as opposed to chasing stars and letting that make up for a lack of development.

• Great post! 2

On 12/23/2022 at 6:40 AM, Wrathis said:

Just a random thought: We have 2 other 4* safety's in this class in Decambra and Tyler Turner. Does anyone have an (educated) opinion on the difference in floor/ceiling between these two and Bowen? 

Point being, I think we're still covered with blue-chip talent at the position...and while I'd like to land as many 5*'s as possible (in part to show we're running with the big dogs), more importantly I'd much prefer getting the MOST out of the talent we do have as opposed to chasing stars and letting that make up for a lack of development.

Agree the big question about our backfield is the lack of development, execution. We can try to MariØ our way out of it, recruit elite talent, but in the end it will taking coaching. How are we going to fix this!!!!!

We already are lining up 4* talent in our backfield, better than anyone else in the conference and are underperforming. We also have a 5* on the bench, but are being beaten by JV talent as compared. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m not worried.  We will get him back from the transfer portal next week. 

• Haha 1

This stung for a moment, but after time to consider, I still think it’s a win. 

EVERYONE saw what happened on announcement day. Everyone knows he wanted to play for the Ducks. 

It was a cautionary tale…

The rest of the recruits in the world are just thinking how they have to make sure to turn Mom into a Ducks fan ASAP. 

And dang, not a good intro to the Sooner locker room. “I wanted to be a Duck but my mom made me be a Sooner.” Yikes. 

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:40 AM, Wrathis said:

To the same point, I would imagine that some of the guys brought in as "CBs" may eventually fit into safety rolls (especially if you are going to basically playing three safeties all game). I can see as many as 5 safeties among the high school group.

• Go Ducks! 1