FishDuck Article

Dan Lanning: Best First Year Recruiting Class for ANY Oregon HC?

Mr. FishDuck gives us his summary of Dan Lanning's first recruiting class.  What do you think?

FISHDUCK.COM

That is a very tall title…better than Mike Bellotti? Better than Chip Kelly or Mark Helfrich? Better than the recruiting monster Mario Cristobal?

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thank you Charles for today's article.  Yes, Coach Lanning has proven he and his staff know how to recruit.  His authenticity comes thru to recruits and parents!

I was very pleased to see last season's improvement in the offense.  An explosive entertaining offense was fun to watch.  More of that will continue in 2023.

It appears that with this class of recruits he is getting his type of player.  He talks about changing the culture.  I love the picture of him you chose for today's article.

If that determined look, that I'm going to fight and nothing will stop me is the new culture, then I can't wait to see next year's team!

Go Ducks!  Bring it on!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love a top 10 recruiting class.  Now we need to coach up the kids and see the development on the field.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Go Ducks! 1

ScoopDuck (Justin Hopkins) was interviewed on KPNW radio by Rob Holloway this morning.  His 'final' analysis at the end of his interview was this was probably the best Signing Day in Oregon's history.  

To Rob's question of "who, (besides the big 5* names) did he (Justin) think were really big for the Ducks to have got he named immediately the Rhode Island Offensive tackle Ajani Cornelius (transfer) and Daylen Austin who was flipped from LSU.  Also mentioned was Jayden Limar who was flipped from ND.

There was a lot more to the interview but unfortunately, ScoopDuck is a pay subscription service (~$10/mo).

• Thumbs Up 1

It is now official: with the signing of Blake Purchase this morning--Lanning now has 14 signed that are 4&5-Stars with Rivals.  This ties the best ever first year recruiting class with Cristobal, and we still have a few targets remaining, and one more could break Cristobal's first year record.  (I gotta go change my article!)

Blake Purchase

Blake Purchase - Prep Redzone

See this thread for the remaining LOIs the Ducks are waiting on, and remaining targets 

Oregon is still after.  Just one more 4/5-Star player could break Cristobal's record!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well, my memory certainly isn't all it once was but I can't remember any signing day like this.  Cristobal's classes were pretty memorable and should be remembered as moving Oregon forward to this point, no matter how we may feel about him as our ex-Head Coach.  But I wouldn't trade Dan Lanning for MC and all the assistants he has or ever had.  

O is in a really good spot right now.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, and the Oregonian reported last night that Oregon had 31 'Commits' including 28 who signed (?).  Charles' report above of Blake Purchase's signing makes that 29 signees with 2 left to get in their paperwork: George Silva and Peyton Bowen.  Hard ti imagine a better Signing Day than this.  

IF the Oregonian is right in reporting this.

Charles,

I can see by using the measurables described how you would put Coach Lanning's first class comparable (possibly higher) than previous first year coaches. 

But, I look at it a bit differently. What really stands out for me was Coach Lanning did this by matching players to his (the team's) needs and his values. Often times I felt MC chased star ratings rather than fit. So, MC's classes look better than they actually were. Coach Lanning has the same (or near) star ratings with players that fit the needs of the team. For this reason I feel he far surpasses ANY other coach in Oregon history.

I for one could not be happier with this group of recruits and transfers. WELL DONE COACHES!!!

Edited by DUCati855
  • Thumbs Up 1

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Forget Lincoln Riley and Deion Sanders, Oregon's Dan Lanning stole the Early Signing Day show, helping the Ducks enter a new...

On 12/22/2022 at 9:51 AM, DUCati855 said:

But, I look at it a bit differently.

I understand, but I need a system of rating that is consistent for all coaches...and this is.  What you describe is highly subjective, and while it is fun--he could make a different compelling case for his year I'm sure.  (This was before the flood of recruits we have now, and those 14 in his first year were needed)

But no biggie...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you Charles for the work that went into the article.  Well written and gives the perspective of time.

IMHO, I have to wonder what impact PK and the swoosh have had over the last couple decades in rebranding UO into The O, a nationally recognized brand all unto itself.

For the incoming freshman class, The O has been a winning brand most of their lives, in football, track & field, MBB, WBB, and even had a Natty in Golf. 

Could it be that the Ducks of Oregon have slowly but surely become a Destination?

Edited by PittDuck
Spelling

I’ll be interested to see how many of the highly rated recruits develop into impact players on the field. Looking back at Mario’s classes there appears to be a lot of misses (i.e., players haven’t made a significant contribution or transferred out). Not sure if this was poor evaluation or coaching. 

Of course, there are the can’t miss players (e.g., Kayvon, Noah) and Mario was very good at recruiting offensive lineman. 

I’m most excited about the roster turnover. We could be starting fall practices with over half the roster recruited by the current staff, including transfers. It’s clear that Dan and Tosh want size (tall and big) and athleticism on the defensive line, and many bodies to rotate to keep fresh. The top secondary players that I’ve seen are tall, athletic/fast and have great ball skills (some were receivers or returners for their H.S. teams).

It’s an exciting time to be a Duck fan!

Stunning to think how Cristobal was known for recruiting, and Coach Lanning just equaled Mario's first year in the number of 4/5-Star players.  (14) And Lanning also exceeded the best year of any coach in the past--save Cristobal.  And I think Lanning might break that highest amount record one day...

So if Lanning can recruit like Cristobal AND coach...what will we get?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Money talks, as the saying goes. And nowhere does it talk louder in college football than at Oregon.

IF this has already appeared then I'm sorry but there have been so many posts regarding this week's hectic Signing day it's impossible to keep up on all of them on this amazing site/forum.  I thought it worthy of a look because it briefly describes the NIL that is really beginning to work it's way into perhaps the most important aspect of these recruit signings.  And Oregon, as it seems, is at the very forefront and very well positioned to gain by it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Feeling great about this class. Also I liked Lanning's comment about the players transferring out of Eugene, none of them were freshman.  The only negative as shown today, until all these guys are on campus registered in classes, due to the new NIL world, they are not guaranteed to be a Duck.

C'mon....one more 4/5-Star player, and you break Cristobal's record for recruits for the first full year of work!

Mr. FishDuck

To me what's even more impressive is that we lost our OC and still did what we did. DL would have beat MC under your criteria if that hadn't happen. So to be even at this time is amazing.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's another good point Duck, you're on a roll tonight.  

Imagine how yesterday might have gone with KD still on staff?  Maybe we scratch the Dripping Springs, Texas lad (Novosad) but very possibly O signs several other top recruits even better, including Moore (which I'm still not bummed-out about losing).  Of course, it's just speculation but I'm pretty certain losing our whiz of an O.C. didn't exactly help Lanning - which makes what he and O's staff did this week even more impressive.

• Applause 1