Haywarduck

Change One Thing about Mario the Great?

If you could change one thing about Mario what would it be? Many lament our offensive output, how would you change what he is doing to correct that? Some complain about his clock management, what would you do to change that aspect? What is your beef with the boss?

We are married to Mario, but just like with our spouse, there is room for constructive criticism which only makes the relationship stronger. I don't think any of us want a divorce, but what would make the bond more complete?

My constructive criticism is the lack of speed on the team. We have, arguably, the best track program and facilities in the nation. We need to bring speed to the program so we can be like Alabama this past season and LSU the year before. When you have people nobody can keep up with you then have the edge. 

We are upgrading just about every position, but I still don't see the speed Oregon was known for in the past.

• Like 1

Let Joe Moorhead run the offense completely the way he wants; butt-out.

Joe Moorhead at Fordham_Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

IMHO, Mario has not shown he has the very most essential skill: the ability to win games.  I have never felt confident in the Offense while he has been coach.  The receiver talent is being wasted.  So.....I wish he would let Moorhead handle the offense....and, get outta the way.  His “3 yards and a cloud of dust” offensive scheme is too rudimentary.

4 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

butt-out.

. The best CEO's, and that's what a football coach at a championship caliber team is, assembles the staff, then lets them do their jobs. It's worked just fine at 'Bama.

Rose Bowl. Pac-12 Championship. Just a start. Good enough for me.

So far, MC is the only thing that Wonkee Willie seems to have gotten right... If he can learn to enable his assistants and allow them to do their jobs to the best of their ability, while maintaining a stronger hold on things like clock management, I believe the Ducks will be just fine.

I wonder how much Mario really inserts himself into offensive game planning and making play calls on offense during games? We all speculate that he is responsible for the conservative calls, (4th and 1 up the middle) and it's understandable, with his constant demand for "physicality" and "toughness". Most would probably call it stubbornness at times obviously.

But does anyone know for sure? I'm not sure if Mario has ever addressed this question or has been asked about it directly during a presser. Maybe he wouldn't answer the question anyway, but I'd love to know if he has ever confirmed publicly what we all believe as fans?

It's goes with the offensive stuff... But killer instinct. 

MC is pretty happy burning clock as a strategy in the second half when up. Though what has made Oregon teams great in the past decade is the killer instinct of pushing the advantage and putting up major points and leaving no doubt who won the game and putting the opponents away. 

Games get a bit too close for comfort in the fourth quarter sometimes and it would be nice not just burning clock but burning down the score board with POINTS! 

Also if Oregon can put up enough points by the fourth quarter then the second or even third strinn guys can get a look on the field for some live reps. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, David Marsh said:

MC is pretty happy burning clock as a strategy in the second half when up. Though what has made Oregon teams great in the past decade is the killer instinct of pushing the advantage and putting up major points and leaving no doubt who won the game and putting the opponents away. 

Games get a bit too close for comfort in the fourth quarter sometimes and it would be nice not just burning clock but burning down the score board with POINTS! 

Also if Oregon can put up enough points by the fourth quarter then the second or even third strinn guys can get a look on the field for some live reps. 

I'm fine with this strategy but you have to have the ability to convert in 3 downs or it's just handing the ball back to the opponent which is a useless strategy when it's outside 5 minutes and the opponent still has timeouts. That typically worked at Alabama when they had one of the best RB's and offensive lines to run out the clock.... not quite there yet here. I feel that if we can get a good QB/RB combo, it'll cover up whatever discomfort we have with the current play calling. 

Speaking of which, the last good QB/RB combo we had was ___? 

Last good combo in my memory was big play VA and Rolls Royce... that was half a decade ago!

36 minutes ago, Ducks4ever said:

Speaking of which, the last good QB/RB combo we had was ___? 

Herbert and Royce for a couple years... Not terribly successful years but the program was undergoing quite a revamping. 2016 saw Freeman dinged up and 2017 saw Herbert dinged up. 

And... The ability to run out he clock by handing it off is great as you said with converting the third downs... Though at that pace Oregon would also be looking at adding more points on the board by punching it into the end zone. 

Though I will give MC and co props for the offense being able to opporate at varying tempos. One of the big problems in the Kelly-Helfrich eras was that the team could opporate at break neck speed but really struggled when the tempo slowed. We haven't seen as much of that issue the past few years... Granted I would love to see Oregon play with a faster tempo sometimes. 

A strong offense offers a double edged sword... One edge scores the points (duh) while the other forces the opposite offense to match those points... And often that leads to mistakes and turnovers. 

I want to see that style of play take over at Oregon again. We were pretty close in 2019 to achieving this but the offense wasn't quite deadly enough. 

Cristobal is perfect for Oregon, his work ethic sets a very high standard, and is an example for everyone associated with the team. He is recruiting at a level never seen before in Eugene. He is bringing in high caliber players that may give us another shot at a National title. 

Will he win a championship? I don’t know, but players and coaches are noticing his recruiting success. That makes the Ducks an attractive destination for both. 

I say don’t change a thing. 

I'm with Drake...except...MC could manage the time-outs better. 

I believe we'll see extraordinary recruiting of players that not only lead to the domination of the PAC-12 but will contend nationally.  And MC game management will only improve  with time.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Duckball said:

But does anyone know for sure? I'm not sure if Mario has ever addressed this question or has been asked about it directly during a presser. Maybe he wouldn't answer the question anyway, but I'd love to know if he has ever confirmed publicly what we all believe as fans?

Great question, has anyone ever asked Mario directly if he called the third and short up the middle, or was it somebody else? I would pay to see that answered by Mario. There would be follow up questions, but just getting that answered would clear up a lot of speculation.

I can't remember all the "wasted" time outs, but I'm not sure that is always on Mario.  If the OC doesn't get the play down to the field fast enough, then the QB can't go through the pre play progression.  I have no doubt Mario has bungled TOs, but I'd say some also were on the OC not getting the play in with enough time to the QB.

With the consistent 3 yards and a clouds of dust and Mario repeatedly saying he wants to instill his will on the O and D lines, I'd say he has a ton of say in the offensive play calling.  This has been through 2 OCs.  Pretty hard not to hook that on Mario's wagon.  He needs to let his OC make the calls during the game.  Mario can have his input before the game while they are discussing the game plan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario needs to be the CFO of this team and allow his coordinators to do their job.  He and mini Mario "Mirabal"  keep making the O line epic.  The rest of Mario's time should be getting us amazing recruiting classes like he's been doing and keeping a great revolving door of coaches always on the upgrade in Eugene. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

Mario needs to be the CFO of this team and allow his coordinators to do their job.  He and mini Mario "Mirabal"  keep making the O line epic.  The rest of Mario's time should be getting us amazing recruiting classes like he's been doing and keeping a great revolving door of coaches always on the upgrade in Eugene. 

Amen.  Mario....do what you are exceptional at; recruiting players and coaches, setting the culture and your amazing representation of Oregon Football to the public via your PR work.  Be the CEO....

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Let your O-coordinator call the plays please?  Why do you have one if you can't let them do their job?

GO Ducks!!!

On 2/21/2021 at 10:57 PM, David Marsh said:

Yeah and winning those games where the other team is let back into it and outscores us in the second half or 4th quarter leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I totally agree about attacking instead of playing prevent offense so the subs can get meaningful minutes...

GO Ducks!!!

1 minute ago, nogerO said:

Yeah and winning those games where the other team is let back into it and outscores us in the second half or 4th quarter leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I totally agree about attacking instead of playing prevent offense so the subs can get meaningful minutes...

GO Ducks!!!

And I do solidly believe that in the 4th quarter if you're up you should burn that clock...

Though maybe don't worry so much about burning the clock at the start of the 3rd quarter. I guess that is really where I have a problem is that in the 3rd quarter we really start to see the the offense slow down and be less effective on the whole.

• Thumbs Up 1