FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: Signing Day Superlatives

Biggest surprise?  Biggest flip?  Highest ceiling?

FISHDUCK.COM

Signing day was a HUGE success for Dan Lanning and Oregon Ducks football. As our own Charles Fischer chatted about just...

• Thanks 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Alex, while reading and  then rereading your article, I couldn't help thinking about how different your article may have had to be written if Coach Lanning and staff hadn't been "Superlative" in their recruiting efforts.

From this fan the superlatives to be written about recruiting these top level recruits will start with DL and his staff. Suprising, relentless, tireless, secretive and top notch come to mind. Well done DL.....

Most of these players who signed were such a suprise that i know very little about them. Looking forward to reading what the more informed members of the Forum share in this thread. And i look forward to seeing this group of talented players perform over the next few years.....

For years, the Duck greybeards only dreamed of signing a recruit in the top 300. 20 years ago a class like this was just a dream. No doubt NIL money helped. Hats off to Phil, Penny and the NIL team for their superb effort and program.

In his last article, David Marsh asked us to have faith in DL and his staff. For those who had faith, DL and staff delivered. For those who didn't have faith, hopefully you feel a little better.

GO DUCKS and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Really hard to not be blinded by all the stars. However, take a look at 

the kid is a freak, also has a black belt. CG is My sneaky ninja pick of the class.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dante Dowdell has me very excited. He just seems to check all the boxes as the next great Duck RB. Tough, fast, elusive, winner. He reminds me of Derrick Henry

Senior Highlights

Edited by DuckDiggler
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The biggest flip for me was Bowen "flipping off" the Ducks. Along with the existing and coming talent on the Ducks defense Bowen's play could have made a difference by shoring up the defensive line and giving it push and stopping power.

This is no time to cry over spilt milk. It's time to move on. The newcomers gathered by Lanning and staff buoyed weaknesses, filled personnel gaps, and added depth on both sides of the ball.

Oregon, with Dan Lanning leading, is ready to play big boy football against the best.

Go Ducks.

• Applause 1

I share the same excitement about the stars. Uiagalelei, Dickey, and Dowdell will shine.

However, I'm most excited about the big guys on both lines!  They have a look about them similar to Dan Lanning. "Don't mess with me.  I'm going to bring the hurt."

I think these guys are the beginning of the Lanning Culture.  Can't wait for the Spring game and the 2023 season.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

The item which sold me is these are Lannings guys. Coach said they are leaders, winners, and student athletes. The stars, and individual accolades mean little if they can't be part of a team. 

Now the derecruiting process begins as they head to campus and the weight room. As the real competition begins we will see who steps up and how the team comes together. 

Lanning did a masterful job of working with the previous staffs guys. He now has the guys he wants and bought into what he is selling. 

This doesn't even speak to the transfers Lanning is bringing in, and those guys are going to have a large impact too. The transfers may have a bigger impact early on, so exciting times indeed!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:05 AM, DuckDiggler said:

Dante Dowdell has me very excited. He just seems to check all the boxes as the next great Duck RB. Tough, fast, elusive, winner. He reminds me of Derrick Henry

Senior Highlights

WWW.CLARIONLEDGER.COM

2022 Dandy Dozen No. 4 Dante Dowdell on his running back idols and choosing Oregon over Ole Miss.

He is going to be a fun one to watch. He won't be a fun one to play against!

• Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 6:56 AM, Haywarduck said:
WWW.CLARIONLEDGER.COM

2022 Dandy Dozen No. 4 Dante Dowdell on his running back idols and choosing Oregon over Ole Miss.

I always said it's better to be the hitter than the hittee!  Love this attitude from Donte!

USourgrapesC

WWW.MSN.COM

Matayo Uiagalelei is one of the most highly-touted high school prospects in the country and was one of the few elite players who hadn’t at least verbally committed before Wednesday’s early...

I agree with Happy the biggest winner is our coaches. Relentless describes them perfectly. If our players can play as hard as these coaches recruit we are in for a special treat in the years to come.

Next is the fans. We deserve something like this after several years of slick and MarinoO giving hope and then bailing on us and the players. Absolutely classless.

Last and certainly not least is the players. Getting to come to Eugene and the Willamette valley where desert, snow, and one of the most beautiful coast lines in the US are all 2 hours or less away. And then there is the experience of playing sports at the best place in the US. With so many quality programs in all sports to spend their idle time watching how fun for a young adult. Then there is Autzen and a game experience like no other.

What a great time to be a 🦆

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2022 at 7:24 AM, Steven A said:

USourgrapesC

WWW.MSN.COM

Matayo Uiagalelei is one of the most highly-touted high school prospects in the country and was one of the few elite players who hadn’t at least verbally committed before Wednesday’s early...

And (imo) jumping into the B1G boiling kettle is only going to make life harder for the USC trojans.  When brought up and close for comparison with the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio St. etc. I can see USC looking suddenly very mediocre.  Unless, of course, Lincoln Riley truly is a miracle worker.

Program fit has always been a major theme in recruiting. But, because of the increased mobility and independence afforded players by the portal and NIL - outside of talent - fit now becomes just about the only thing of importance that can bond a recruit to your program.

Since coaches can no longer count on the rules to make a player tow-the-line while the maturation process takes place, it has become increasingly important to create a clear vision in the minds of recruits of what they can expect from a program’s culture once they’ve become a part of it - an image that has the potential to hold a player in place much as the old rules once did.

DL appears to be ahead of the curve in understanding this new emphasis in the recruiting wars.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:56 AM, Haywarduck said:

Totally agree Haywarduck!  He says it all when he said, “When you hit someone enough times, they don’t want to tackle you anymore.”

Love the attitude!  He has a shot at some Duck RB records!

• Thumbs Up 1

Getting Bo Nix back for one more year was the best pickup for the program. He makes Oregon an instant playoff contender next year, will help our new OC in the transition and should help keep the excitement going strong in Coach Lanning’s Oregon football program which will hopefully payoff in future recruiting classes and the transfer portal.  

Besides Nix, I love what our coaches have done in the transfer portal picking up a WR, CB and possibly most important some really good offensive linemen. Talk about plugging some immediately needs with proven players. 

I love that we have recruited high school players with really high ceilings. Don’t sleep on Jayden Limar - the dude is fast - and will be the lightning to Dowdell’s thunder. 

It’s an exciting time to be a Duck. As Anthony Newman said we have players who want to be in Eugene. 

Go Ducks!!!

• Go Ducks! 1