Charles Fischer

Do YOU Want DJ Uiagalelei as a Transfer QB from Clemson?

"Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early," so I'll pass.  (And I would suggest Oregon State to do the same...)   Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The experts have him going to Hawaii. I think he would do well under Jonathan Smith. Oregon has no need for him.

Agreed, Charles. Did Oregon even extend an offer? Between TT and Novosad behind Nix, the QB room is full. If Uiagalelei comes, then likely TT hits the portal. That may be a small net gain, but how much? DJ's play at Clemson has been inconsistent enough to date for him to lose the starting job and precipitate hitting the portal. He certainly wouldn't beat out Bo to start in 2023.

I suppose brother Matayo's commitment to Oregon may play a role. For whatever reason it just doesn't seem like a great move for DJ or the Ducks, but maybe it was part of the consideration to get younger bro here.

If he wants to start, he probably will not come to Oregon. However, if he and his brother truly want to be on the same team, and we have offered him a spot….bring him in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As a backup, DJ performed very well when Trevor Lawrence was unavailable for a few games.  His performance as a starter was not nearly as good.  

I don't know that he would transfer to be a backup to Bo, because he ABSOLUTELY won't take the starting job from Bo.

NOW, DJ has 3, yes 3 years of eligibility remaining....I would be okay with him coming in as a backup and possibly taking over if our young guys aren't ready when Bo leaves....but I would want "Backup To Trevor Lawrence DJ" and not "Starter At Clemson DJ"!

He would be a great addition to OSU, and if the change of scenery does what it did for Bo....well OSU is a dangerous team

Who knows what happened in his mindset...it must have been hard to take over for the #1 NFL pick and have people expect a "plug n play" response.  

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Thumbs Up 1

No. If our goal is to develop our young QB recruits, in this case Novosad, we don't need DJ. It doesn't seem to be the best use of a scholarship at this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

He had greatness as a back-up early so I will take him. We don't have greatness at back-up now. 

I would also be interested in Hudson, but will defer to Stein and Lanning. Whatever they have up their sleeves should work out fine!

If I was DJ I would transfer to the beavs, and have JSmith turn me into a machine. That may be the question, do we want DJ at OSU?

Wasn't Bo thought of as lacking greatness? Seems like Bo and DJ have a lot in common.

• Thumbs Up 4

I’d take DJ over TT but it seems like QB has been addressed at this point. I’d say keep on stacking up that D.

• Thumbs Up 3

Jonathan Smith gets more out of QB's than they know they have....himself included.  He played beyond his stature and athletic ability while under center for the Nutria.....made Jake Browning dangerous and willed Gulbranson into a Power 5 starter.

He might turn DJU into Fran Tarkenton.

• Haha 4
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Absolutely, he is a very serviceable back up. DJ would keep winning if Bo went down. Who knows, maybe he replicates the change and growth Nix saw transferring to Oregon.

If Ducks pick him up we will see the same arguments we saw last off season with Nix. "Good DJ or Bad DJ". I think DJ would thrive in the culture and system at Oregon. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Probably just click bait since his brother is now a duck.

DJ to Oregon? ... No. He had his chance, and passed. I agree with those who believe we're good at the QB position, however, I also agree with those who believe in Lanning, and his process/plan. We'll just have to see what happens there.

DJ to Oregon State? ... Heck No! ... As others have stated, nobody in this conference is getting more outta less then Coach Smith. He'll turn DJ into a real serious threat! 

DJ to Hawai'i? ... Absolutely. This seems to make the best sense for himself, and for the Rainbow Warriors. DJ needs to excel at a place where the pressure is off, and where he can be the main show. He'll impress if he does well, which will include NFL scouts.  DJ, hit the islands, bruh!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, Drake said:

If he wants to start, he probably will not come to Oregon. However, if he and his brother truly want to be on the same team, and we have offered him a spot….bring him in. 

Assuming Oregon extended an offer to DJU it is because of his brother.

I don't think we need him. We have a roster over the 85 scholarships right now so anyone we take better come in to produce. 

But if we do take him TT is gone... But I'm also convinced that if Novosad has a better camp, whether that is spring or fall he pushes TT out as it is. 

Only benefit of DJU is that it would give us a better backup. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If the coaches feel there is a scholarship available for DJ it means there is a need for DJ. I'll leave it in their hands.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:20 AM, DUCati855 said:

If the coaches feel there is a scholarship available for DJ it means there is a need for DJ. I'll leave it in their hands.

I agree with this...

However, do to my vast lack of experience and knowledge, I would prefer not to take him at this time.

Since I also root for the Beavs and Jonathan Smith, I wouldn't mind him going to Cornvalley. His team would be a rival to his brother's team, but they would be close enough to visit whenever they wanted.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:43 AM, Log Haulin said:

Absolutely, he is a very serviceable back up. DJ would keep winning if Bo went down. Who knows, maybe he replicates the change and growth Nix saw transferring to Oregon.

If Ducks pick him up we will see the same arguments we saw last off season with Nix. "Good DJ or Bad DJ". I think DJ would thrive in the culture and system at Oregon. 

Brilliant, whether we take him or not we are, I would think, the perfect transfer spot for someone like DJ. Players with huge potential, and flashes of brilliance will want to come to Oregon. The question is will they get in line to be the next Bo?

We have the culture and system qb's want to rehab their reputations, as having it. How would Bo be looking after another season at Auburn? Bo most likely would have cemented his reputation as not great, and no way have a chance at heisman talk this and next season.

I would hate to see Nix go down, and we struggle with Ty and our freshman. How many would say the scholarship wasn't worth it then? We were, arguably one good back-up from the playoffs in many minds this year, right?

We have to trust Lanning's plan and Stein's abilities, but a known back-up isn't a bad option. Whether it is DJ or Hudson we would be that much stronger with a capable proven back-up. More competition and security at qb wouldn't be a bad thing. My bet is many transfers will want to follow in Bo's footsteps.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Hmmm, 

#1-Bo

#2-DJ- plays a series or two each game to stay warm

#3-Novosad-Red Shirts but gets some 4 game playing time.

Ty Thompson Portal Combats!

Come on over DJ! Bowen was reportedly going to get upwards of $2 million and who even knows about Hicks. I'm sure there is $1 million or so out there to stack the QB roster.

I just don't see him transferring to be a backup just to play with little bro.  Nix is obviously starting next year.

He might not even start in Corvallis.  Hawaii would probably be a sure thing, and great storyline don't we play them next year?

• Like 1

He played three seasons at Clemson and his least number of games played in was 10 in his freshman year, from Wikipedia. With the Covid year, he still has burned two seasons. I don't see how he has three years of eligibility left, but I could be missing something. Three to play two sounds more correct, based on what I read.

He does have a redshirt season remaining in which he could play four games and retain his eligibility (is that correct?). He could be Bo's emergency backup in 2023, maybe burn his redshirt if things get interesting with the playoffs and Bo is questionable. Meanwhile he works with Stein to iron out any wrinkles in his technique and becomes a more efficient QB. Don't give him any guarantees for 2024 when he would have to compete with Novosad, and anybody else brought in, for a starting role.  

On 12/23/2022 at 10:45 AM, noDucknewby said:

I just don't see him transferring to be a backup just to play with little bro.  Nix is obviously starting next year.

He might not even start in Corvallis.  Hawaii would probably be a sure thing, and great storyline don't we play them next year?

I think DJ is going to be hard pressed to be on a perennial power house team and think he wins the starting job. But, with 3 years of eligibility, DJ could take over for a Rose Bowl caliber team playing in the Playoffs. This is about exposure. Or. St. would give it to him if he so chose. But, the PAC is a better chance for exposure than Hawaii.

I think not.  The QB room is already well stocked.  More O-linemen please. That room is never over-stocked.  

My bet is if the coaches are comfortable with Ty as a back-up then we won't see a transfer. If they aren't then they will bring somebody in to compete with Ty. Right now Ty has to be comfortable as the back-up for Bo.

How many people are comfortable with Ty coming in to save the season? Do most see Novostad as the answer if, when Bo goes down? Would we, again, be in a position where a whole season is lost, or negatively impacted by a qb injury?

As a program we need to get past being a program one play away from a lost season. That is where the elite programs are.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

If the coaches want him, I guess I will play wait and see.Oh, WIAT!

Has Kal filled their needs at QB???

I personally haven’t been impressed in the limited times I’ve seen DJU play for Clemson. He is big and mobile for his size and would have been a great fit for Chip Kelly’s spread option offense at Oregon (a bigger Masoli) but doesn’t seem to make great decisions and is not the most accurate passer.

If Oregon signs DJU, I’d be worried that TT transfers and we would also lose out on potentially signing a top transfer QB in next year’s class. Therefore, unless he was a package deal with his brother, I’d say “thanks but no thanks.”

I think stepping down a level and playing for Hawaii would be in his best long term interests. If he puts up huge numbers at Hawaii, perhaps the NFL would be interested given his measurables and arm strength. 

On the flip side, his talent is off the charts. Perhaps transferring to Oregon and sitting behind Bo Nix, while working with Stein would put his career back on track? Plus, I’m going to have to learn how to pronounce his last name with Matayo joining the team anyway…

Edited by OregonDucks
Expanded

Yes, it would give us a potentially good back up, maybe even competition for Bo. 

After Bo was hurt we lost two games. If he goes down this year, do we have someone behind him who will win those games and give us a chance to go to the playoffs.

Maybe Ty becomes that guy, maybe the freshman could. It would be nice to have a proven guy. 

If the coaches have a scholy for him, and he wants to be a Duck, then that’s all I need to know to say, Yes. 

The more competition, the better. And if DJU wants to be part of that, more power to him. 

The fact that he declined the invitation to run Mari0’s offense a couple years ago actually sounds like a smart move. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Headed to OSU per Pete Thamel

• Applause 1